It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Afghanistan War: Is child abuse a new Taliban gambit?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Afghanistan War: Is child abuse a new Taliban gambit?

www.globalpost.com

CAMP DWYER, Afghanistan — Spc. Jaime Adame carried the young girl across the airfield, her tiny, gauze-wrapped body cradled in a polyester blanket, his camouflage rippling in the winds of the waiting Blackhawk.

“What’s wrong?” shouted Staff Sgt. Christopher Meece, the crew chief, above the roar of the helicopter as Adame handed him the child.

“Another one,” he said grimly.

Amid the ruinous injuries from roadside bomb blasts and gunshot wounds typical of this war lies a hidden horror facing the air ambulance teams operating across Afghanistan. All too often they are called
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Worse, the medevac crews worry that the high number of abuse cases are more than just the consequence of a conservative society with strong patriarchal traditions — they worry the high number of cases are part of a strategy.

“It’s a tactic we see the enemy using, injuring these children or female civilians,” said Sgt. Billy Raines, an experienced medic and father of three girls. “They bring them to the local combat outpost, and at that point they gain access to a U.S. military facility. Then they get a flight on our helicopter so they understand how we fly.”

Since the Taliban know where the families are, they can easily intimidate the villagers from cooperating with the ISAF. With these tactics the war has gotten worse with no intel. Some of you guys could say it could turn the tide just like the Awakening Council that join with the U.S. in Iraq, but I don't know.

www.globalpost.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Still, Adame acknowledged that such a tactic has turned some of his patients into Trojan horses, whose very vulnerability is their disguise.

“Do I think that they are hurting their own children as a way of turning them into a weapon?” he said. “Yeah, I think so.”

Really now. The US army is coming up with these conclusions? What a big surprise.

The article clearly states that the US medical teams are obligated to help any injured civilian, so why would the Taliban hurt children to be used as "trojan horses" when Taliban operatives themselves could be doing a much more efficient recon job?

I don't see any evidence at all in the article, just a descriptive story-like account, not even a report really. Just because an Afghan child was hurt in sketchy circumstances doesn't mean it had anything to do with the Taliban. Looks like propaganda to me unless there's some real evidence of this out there.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:41 PM
link   
What a pack of lies.

Of course they never show it when the US carpet-bombs a village and kills and injures children and their families.

They never mention it on TV when troops come back talking about seeing 14-year-old Iraqi girls being raped by soldiers and then having their families shot and killed, even when the soldiers themselves admit it in video interviews that go viral.

"Is child abuse a new Taliban gambit?"

Is it a new "Coalition Forces" gambit too?

They're just covering up for their own war crimes by accusing their enemy of doing it.

I don't doubt children are injured by both sides, but if the true numbers were known I'd say our rampant bombing of residential areas has claimed the largest number of innocent lives.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:42 AM
link   
reply to post by bsbray11

The UN has already claimed that the Taliban is responsible for the majority of the civilian lives. IEDs, carbombs, and assassinations have led to the majority of deaths. Thanks to the tied up of airstrikes, we can easily tell that the Taliban is responsible for most of the civilian deaths.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

So all those attacks against women is also false as well? Please ask me for evidence.
As time goes by we shall see as more evidence of attacks against children and women is revealed in the light as the Taliban attempts to deter people from cooperating with ISAF to win the war. We have seen in Iraq that something similar had happened which got the Sunnis to join with the American led forces, can you not deny that? Carbombings, beheadings, intimidations, etc. helped turned the tide of the war. Don't know if it will do the same in Afghanistan since the Taliban has for many years been effective in deterring people and forcing them to do what they want.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Something very fishy about that story... Sounds more like yet another attempt to dehumanise the afghans and "justify" the u.s presence... Quite obvious those in d.c and langley have no understanding of the culture of people in the region and are starting to grasp at straws... Unfortunately the american public is stupid enough to believe the # d.c and langley put out regarding the customs, culture and people in that region ... More lies to cover their arses and keep troops in afghanistan protecting poppy fields for C(aught) I(n the) A(ct)...

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:58 AM
link   
I am so tired of this abuse of the life we were given, the abuse of others' lives.

All war is evil.

Humans will never stop.

What can you do, except protest, which achieves nothing.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
reply to post by bsbray11

The UN has already claimed that the Taliban is responsible for the majority of the civilian lives. IEDs, carbombs, and assassinations have led to the majority of deaths. Thanks to the tied up of airstrikes, we can easily tell that the Taliban is responsible for most of the civilian deaths.

As Tommy Franks said, "We don't do body counts."

Unless, of course, it was an "al Qaeda" attack.

So no, I'm sure they don't count all the innocent civilians that fall under "collateral damage" every time they carpet-bomb an entire village where they think some "terrorist" is hiding.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by deltaboy

I would hold this articles direction and the inferences made within it, in far higher regard if the culture in the region were different. However, I cannot take the inference made by the reporter on face value here for the following simple reasons.
In a nation where ritualistic "honour" punishments are handed down for seemingly minor offenses, it is little wonder that abuse comes to the fore , to the public eye. Shocking, terrible and senseless these incidents may be, but without proper evidence to support it, the idea that these abuse cases have anything to do with intelligence gathering is without firm basis, and cannot stand up on its own. We hear of young girls being murdered or burned with bleach, acids, set on fire with petrol, and all for the sake of honour. A break of curfew, a misunderstanding, an outburst after a decade of servitude and all at once a young lady in Afghanistan can die a painful death, over what we in the west would take as nothing more than a trifle, a small matter.
Baring this in mind, we cannot judge this abuse to be anything other than the way life is, as horrific as it may be, for young women in Afghanistan, and turning that truth, into a sham propeganda weapon for military intelligence purposes, is frankly crass, and takes away from the real horror, the one that should be reported on.
The real story here is the abuse, and not the ill concieved idea of using that abuse as a tool to gain intelligence.
Futhermore, if the intelligence services of the coallition were doing thier jobs right, theres no way a man could bring his daughter to a checkpoint for MEDIVAC without his face going through several modes of identification, and being run through terror databases. If anyone significantly placed in order to be able to gather intelligence were indeed to be in a medical chopper, then they should have been identified as a threat and eliminated or detained on landing , if our intelligence services are worth the freakish levels of investment they see year on year. Any other scenario means that we are wasting our money.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:39 AM
link   
cant remember what its called but there is a type of reporting where you are with the army and one where your not, the reporters that are with the army dont really choose what they report on and news stations like al jazeera get bombed when they report on stories without the army present.
there was a programme on itv in the uk a couple of weeks ago and you could see the guilt on reporters faces and former un workers faces when talking about deaths to children etc... in iraq and afghanistan.
there was one video of a us helicopter just killing people and firing on a van at the orders of someojne in the chopper. they used words like "light em up" and "nice" when they had massacred armless people.
there was a soldier giving evidence saying that he went to the van and there was a couple of children there almost dead but they didnt get much help, one was taken to a local half bombed hospital and the other was just left there by the orders of the same guy in the heli. the soldier was walking around with this body and the superior said they shouldnt bring kids to a war zone, but this was the middle of a town, i guess they probably lived there and where trying to escape in the van.

I would recommend watching " The Road To Fallujah" a video by the american reporter Mark Manning, for anyone who thinks that the coallition forces are keeping the peace or doing good as they are not.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Expat888
Something very fishy about that story... Sounds more like yet another attempt to dehumanise the afghans and "justify" the u.s presence... Quite obvious those in d.c and langley have no understanding of the culture of people in the region and are starting to grasp at straws... Unfortunately the american public is stupid enough to believe the # d.c and langley put out regarding the customs, culture and people in that region ... More lies to cover their arses and keep troops in afghanistan protecting poppy fields for C(aught) I(n the) A(ct)...

Its difficult to dehumanize individuals who act like animals. Perhaps even the word animals is too kind a word to describe most Taliban as nearly every animal shows at least some compassion on occasion. I think insect or “bug” would be a more appropriate descriptor for most Taliban. I saw the wreckage of a school hit by a suicide bomber back in 2004. The capital offense these nine and ten year old girls were guilty of was being educated and learning to read and write. There wasn’t a man in our company who didn’t have more than a few fantasies of getting some payback for that one.

Be anti war all you like, but don’t be ignorant to the true nature of these people.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:37 PM
link   
reply to post by SirMike

you seem very brainwashed, people may blow themselves up and kill others including children, but you cant call every member of the taliban animals for the acts of a few, many are trying to protect their land from foreign invaders and some will go to extreme measures, and others might be mentally ill.
there are obviously people in the coallition forces army that are mentally ill aswell, infact you would have to be mad to join the army as you could get much more doing the same job if you are a mercenary. there is no difference in morals and i have seen way too many videos of white phospherous attacks and indiscriminate bombings from the us army and i am sure the rest of the coallition are not squeaky clean too.
our nations torture,rape,kill and rob innocent civillians, aswell as taking any way of a nation developing by stealing or trading weapons for their resources.
we leave people in dire need and with no way of escape so people are going to be pissed and these guys cant exactly gather their troops and fight a normal war as they will just be bombed or attacked by drones and missiles that cost 1000 times the price of the target they destroy.
they have lost their children, parents, brothers and sisters so they probably dont care about anyone atall so they do something horrific.

did afghans ever kill westerners, no a few saudis where the culprits of 911 but they own too much of the us economy plus the country is full of american and british oil companys and every one likes to go on trips to dubai so they get left alone and the poor farmers who probably dont even have tv etc... and the young children and women end up getting bombed to oblivion because the taliban fighting forces are in strongholds and hiding in mountains and near roads in the desert.

the other thing is we send kids over there to do the killing as most people in there right mind who are over 21 wouldnt join the army so we have a bunch of teenagers getting all excited with guns and they end up killers or dead, and those killers come home leave the army and suffer from all kinds of pschological problems and some may go on killing.

new topics

top topics

join