It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumbling all day TODAY (12/28/2010) in Western Washington

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Anmarie96

Well, when I was an early teen in 91 & 92 there was a big flood where the Mississippi flooded this island between the river and the canal...couple hundred people lived there...after the flood cor of engineers took over the island..after the island was flooded and up till a few years ago the place has became a great fishing site with a few small lakes and ponds..well this summer I was out there with a few friends fishing and we did a little exploring looking for new ponds and we came upon a huge fenced area and new road with concrete barriers that raise and lowers to let traffic in and out and cameras surrounding the entrance and on the fences. Also cameras on the bridge on the way to the island. I went to look on google earth to see what was back there on my iPhone while I was there and of course I had no service but I did pick up 2 locked wifi networks...on the abandoned island..creepy thing is one of the networks was called 'tower' and the other called 'whisper'.

Put things in perspective a little..this is a small old steel town...not a huge population. There is nothing out on the island anymore of intrest...I was too chicken to go snooping any further. When I got home I did go to google earth on my Mac and tried to see what was back there and it showed nothing....no road, no fence, nothing...it's called Choutea Island..and local rumor ( get out your salt grains) is that the whole island is wired up with cams..

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Stovokor

That is very strange - something very amiss going on there for sure.

posted on Jan, 27 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Wow, some interesting posts you guys.

To the question about maybe hearing the japan volcano: I just recently posted a new theory as to what I think is going on, causing the rumbling. I think this is VERY plausible (at least for the PNW rumbling)

Here is what I posted on the Glacier thread:

Thank you! That article has helped me figure what the rumbling noise is! It all ties in together, just like I thought. So here is the article:

No matter how closely you listen, you will not hear the Earth hum—but humming it is.No matter how closely you listen, you will not hear the Earth hum—but humming it is.

Far, far below the range of human hearing, waves of energy are coursing through the crust, causing the ground beneath your feet to rise and fall about three-millionths of an inch every few minutes. First detected by networks monitoring seismic activity in 1998, the tiny ripples were initially chalked up to the many small earthquakes that occur each day around the world. But studies over the past decade have proved that the hum is far too constant for that explanation.

In February, oceanographer-turned-seismologist Spahr Webb, of Columbia University’s Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory, reported finding the hum’s likely origin: ocean waves colliding over continental shelves. When two trains of waves, traveling in different directions, smash into one another, they send a continuous cacophony down to the seafloor. That energy triggers vibrations that ripple through the planet, producing an inaudible ringing. “It’s the equivalent of a magnitude 6 earthquake occurring every day,” Webb says. “That’s the kind of energy we’re talking about.”

Earth’s hum turns out to be just one of the many enigmatic signals resonating in the range known as infrasound. Broadly defined as sound waves longer than 56 feet, infrasound lies below the rumbling 20-hertz bass notes at the threshold of human hearing. Hurricanes, tsunamis, and tornadoes also generate their own characteristic low-frequency noise. Scientists are now studying infrasound to learn more about those powerful natural events and how to predict them—a skill that certain animals may already have. In fact, some animals generate their own ultrabass tones for a unique type of long-distance communication.

A spectrogram of ocean sounds
records a tremor from an underwater
volcano near Japan. Each column represents a
three-minute pulse of an ultralow sound.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

SOURCE

Okay, so the whole article is interesting, but what really grabbed my attention was the picture off to the side of the soundwaves recorded from the underwater volcano The small bit at the end of the article quoted above refrences it.

Remember I mentioned the underwater volcano that I talked about in my Washington thread? This is a newly discovered underwater volcano last year that sits about 200 miles W of Puget Sound. HERE is the article about it.

Maps from previous missions showed only a bump on the seafloor about 200 miles west of Grays Harbor. But the contours of a large volcano emerged as sonar mapped the ocean floor more than 10,000 feet below the surface.

TeThe ocean's floor hasn't been mapped in great detail along much of Washington's coast, making it a worthwhile place to test the sonar technology, Weirich said. The high-resolution sonar mapped each depth as a different color, showing a dynamic ocean floor with deep ridges and canyonsxt

My theory on the other thread was that perhpas the magma chamber was also feeding this underwater volcano, which of course ties nicely into the rumbling and deep tremors and what is going on now!!

Here is an article about the suspected magma chamber (but I think it may be bigger than they think): LINK

Geologists recently announced that there might be more things that Mount St. Helens, Mount Rainier and Mount Adams have in common, other than the fact that they are all volcanoes. Preliminary studies seem to indicate that they draw their lava from the same enormous magma pool that spans the entire southwestern portion of Washington state. The science team that conducted the investigation revealed in the October 25 issue of the journal Nature Geoscience that the setup in Washington might be similar to the one known to exist under the Yellowstone supervolcano, LiveScience reports.

posted on Jan, 28 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
www.whale.to... Very interesting case concerning technological source to our little "hum"

posted on Jan, 29 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
I dont know if anybody has posted this link yet, but I think it is very relevent: earthquake.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 30 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by nitro67

I live in far north Idaho in the woods. There are no freeways or airports nearby. We've heard on two occasions a roar coming out of the S.W. which sounds like an armada of B-52s. I grew up near Miramar N.A.S. in San Diego so I know what jets sound like. This definitely sounded like jet engines, or one very big engine. The first time it went on for about 20 minutes around 12 noon p.s.t. The second time we heard it around 7 p.m. I googled on "strange jet sounds" just for the heck of it and found many other reports from all around the country. Jet engine sounds and strange rumblings; what is it? The sound doesn't dissipate like a jet engine disappearing into the distance. This noise was very loud and beyond a rumble.

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
Hey everyone! I wanted to share a link, I am only halfway thru the page, but I couldn't wait any longer, & wanted to get on here to share the link, as I am finding it fascinating!
www.earthquakewarning.org...
There are so many nuggets within this story! It's about Charlotte's Syndrome.
It's seriously blowing me away...

posted on Feb, 8 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Portlandia

ummm.....WOW.

I worked as a 911 dispatcher for awhile and had my hearing tested as part of the job. I am going to try and call them to see if I can get a copy of those results.

I know that one of the issues I had was with the small desk lamps we all had at our work stations. Everyone liked to have the windows closed up and all the lights out (one of the reasons I think my Vit D levels dropped), so we all had desk lamps. I couldn't stand to turn my on though, because it caused a humming noise/interference with my radio that made it hard for me to hear and dispatch. Nobody else heard it. I had just about everyone put my headsest on to listen to it because it was such an issue...but I was the only one that could hear it. It drove me crazy.

I also have a very hard time going into large warehouse-type stores like walmart. I finally figured out that it must be the florescent lighting. I can hear the humming/buzzing and after a bit it gives me a headache and makes my eyes ache.

So...maybe there is something to this.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Magnitude 3.2, WNW of Friday Harbor, WA Tuesday February 8, 2011 at 08:36:36.53 AM (PST)

I was checking in to see if you were discussing this one today Westcoast. I think that's about 50 miles from my local here near the Skagit.

Needless to say, since my last post here I've been occasionally writing down notes every time I notice the weird movements I get here. Of course I don't always write and there's nothing scientific about it. Just doing for it curiosity.

I only made 5 entries so far and I haven't checked them against reports, but since today (yesterday now) I did my last entry I thought I'd comment.

4:03 AM 2-8-11 2 sec wave break 1 sec 5 sec break wave break wave.

That's what I felt this morning 4 hours and 33 minutes prior to the reported quake near Friday Harbor 30 miles below & 50 miles west of me. That is, I felt a wave that lasted a couple of seconds followed by a break a longer wave than another break for a total of 4 or 5 sets of subtle waves. Of course being 4 AM I had gone to sleep at least once and then awoke for whatever reason and then felt the waves. BTW I hear the trains and barely feel them & I feel when the furnace kicks in, the hot water heater as well as discerning an auto exhaust fan, bathroom fans etc.

These waves I feel are different than anything else. I call them waves because they roll in like a set when your out on the ocean with small flat breaks in between followed by more rollers. Not at all like the rumbling of a garbage truck that comes in once a week or anything else.

Sometimes It feels as if we're living upon a small crust of earth floating on top of the water here and somebody is driving submarines beneath us.
edit on 9-2-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

You know, I wonder if your waves felt are similar to my waves of dizziness. I could compare it to riding out a small wave. Interesting.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
I suppose you could say that yes the perceived movement is similar to dizziness as when changing direction quickly or standing up too fast. Yeah that's where it registers. It really feels just like an earthquake without the major external movement. Very minor like floating on a boogie board, surfboard or air mattress beyond the wave break in the ocean without the large up and down movements as the water levels change.

I was sitting in my old house in the Ballard neighborhood of Seattle during the last FEBRUARY 28, 2001 NISQUALLY EARTHQUAKE and the waves came. There is even sound that comes with them it begins with a hum that turns in to or crescendos into a roar that eventually dissipates. You can feel them beginning subtly then a bit greater and sometimes the house resonates with vibration in the windows and doors that sustains for a period then drops off then another wave or two come back and rattle again. Once you've been in that type of quake once or twice as soon as the first wave hits in another you begin to recognize them and thus realize what's occurring whether or not they rattle your house.

I'm guessing it may be possible that we can all feel quakes ahead of time - just like the animals supposedly do, but we can't when there is too much external noise all around us such as in a busy work environment or where there's so much other auto traffic or just movement of people that we can no longer feel what the earth is doing.

If we were to set up a quiet chamber like in the Minority Report, I bet that some people could be very good instruments perhaps better than our current mechanical ones that only give us data after the event has arrived.
edit on 9-2-2011 by verylowfrequency because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by verylowfrequency

Well I have been through the 6.7 here and a 6.5 down in california so I know exactly what you are talking about. I was too excited to be scared.

I supose you could compare my brief dizzy spells with that rolling affect. There are times when I quick look at something in the room to see if it is in fact moving, or if it is just me. I was recently diagnosed with mild MS, so the other couple of times this happened I attributed it to the MS...even saw the doc to rule out anything else.

It very well could be the MS...but who knows. I believe that just about anything is possible.

posted on Feb, 10 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
The rumbling was very loud today, which I find interesting. While the quake list continues to be back-filled and grow, there were again no recorded deep tremors yesterday (today's isn't out yet). I am thinking we may see another larger one off the coast of Oregon or Wa soon.

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Rumbling seems pretty loud today (Friday). I'm at work in Bellevue. How's it sound up north westcoast?

posted on Feb, 11 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Isaac (RIP DUSTIN)

You know, today just didn't work out for a walk, and it is hard for me to hear it if I am anywhere else doing anything with noise around me. (usually)

I swear though that late last night (after midnight), I could hear it inside my house which is much louder than normal. I'm about to go outside now so I will listen on my way out to my truck.

posted on Feb, 12 2011 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Just an update here from Memphis, the rumblng has returned over the last couple of weeks. and again, it's coming from the west and southwest .I don't have any specifics other than the rumbling seems louder than what I recall from last November, and whether it relates to the rumbling or not, i've had accompanying nausea and anxiety, but I could relate that to stress from nursing school. Will post more if I notice anything else.

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 01:32 AM
link   
Hope I can join?

Is this what it sounds like? .. The humming ..
edit on 13/2/2011 by Roald because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by Roald

YES! Very similar to this noise. Where did you find that recording?

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Key-Minder
reply to post by westcoast

Can't hear it in the videos...wish I could, then I'd know for sure if what we are hearing is the same. I live on the east coast and have heard what you are describing. It's a creepy sound that puts dread in my heart. Haven't heard it in a long time though.

I speculate it could be a couple of things such as:

Evil energy might sound like this if it is not encased within a living creature.

Or, the earth is being dragged somewhere and this is the sound it makes.

Or it could be the sound of earth dying.

Or, it could be the sound of war in the heavens.

Or maybe it's the gates of hell starting to crack open.
edit on 12/28/2010 by Key-Minder because: cleaning up messy spelling~

I think all of them are available...

posted on Feb, 13 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Roald
Hope I can join?

Is this what it sounds like? .. The humming ..
edit on 13/2/2011 by Roald because: (no reason given)

This is the sound of an earthquake!

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19  20  21 >>

join