It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bank of America Hit By Anonymous DDoS Attack

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Bank of America Hit By Anonymous DDoS Attack

www.ciozone.com

Reports that the Banks of America's website has been experiencing some downtime due to distributed denial of service (DDoS) attacks by the pro-WikiLeaks and pro-piracy group Anonymous have been confirmed.

Bank of America recently ceased processing donations to the whistleblower group WikiLeaks after the organization revealed that Bank of America may be the subject of the next set of confidential documents to be released.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

edit on 28/12/2010 by Mirthful Me because: Fixed Link, Title.
extra DIV

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   
how did this not get any attention, they tried to take down one of the biggest banks and no repercussions, nothing, like it never even happened really i see bad things coming because of anonymous, how was it not even aknowleged that anon tried to bring down Bank Of America, really?

i'm really wondering if wikileaks isn't all a setup just to trick ppl into thinking there fighting for good but then just turn the tables and there the bad guys no one else finds this odd?

anon is gonna be the the reason for the censorship and demise of the internet as we know it now.

www.ciozone.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.
edit on 28/12/2010 by Mirthful Me because: Fixed Link, Title.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:15 PM
link   
When did this happen? I login almost daily for bill pay and haven't had a ny issues.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
some time yesterday and today , but it's not odd that bank of america was pretty much attacked by hackers and it wasn't a big deal is my big point

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:25 PM
link   
www.observer.com... then 4chan was shut down and it's pretty much anons home base, how is all that happening and it didn't even get a topic on above top secret

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by bobdole210
www.observer.com... then 4chan was shut down and it's pretty much anons home base, how is all that happening and it didn't even get a topic on above top secret

Your article has been removed already or your link was broken.

try this one

edit on 28-12-2010 by whoshotJR because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:29 PM
link   
reply to post by bobdole210

From your source:

"B of A has been targeted for over 5 hours. The hive is not very strong so the total volume is relatively small, not really impacting anything at the moment, it’s more just an annoyance. The attackers are rotating targets, first targeting www.bankofamerica on one port (HTTP), then on another (HTTPS), then they switched the target to Bank of America’s nameservers. Lot’s of different vectors as well – UDP and SYN Floods as well as ICMP flooding."

"The attack was largely ineffective because the IRC channel used for the command and control of the LOIC tool was not functioning properly. Without the organized command and control structure (what is called the “hive-mind”), manual attacks are cumbersome."

"Anonymous leaders were recommending that their followers use the manual method, which makes a concerted effort much more difficult as users have to set up the tool with the correct target, protocol, and number of threads to use. Monitoring Anonymous communications on IRC channels revealed that there was much disarray and overall the effort appeared to be very disorganized."

I find this hilarious! Without a real expert guiding them, most "anon" are nothing more than dolts with executable files trying to fit in. They can't even configure a simple ICMP interface.

Oh, and the IRC channel "not functioning properly"? Read that as "The NSA won.".

This isn't going to kill net neutrality at all. Anon thrives on a known FBI honeypot site. Letting them have their little DDoS spasm will just result in a lot of arrests and a lot of parents paying hefty fines to keep their idiot children out of jail.

~Heff
edit on 12/28/10 by Hefficide because: typo - yes, another one.. sheesh people, it's been a rough day. *sob*

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:50 PM
link   
Why dont't they accidentally pay off my B of A mortgage. That would be great.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
i cannot stop laughing at this, obviously not at the op and all replies, but it is kinda 48hrs late to say the least. With respect to those who assume they are doing what they believe is right, they are simply way way out of their league.

Remember, one can run...but cannot hide.

775125 :-)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Once again I have to raise a question that I asked on a recent ATS Live broadcast.

Anonymous claims to be pro Free Speech. They are upset with BOA for not taking donations for wikileaks.

So... wouldn't the appropriate action be to use their tremendous numbers to pressure the bank by encouraging boycotts?

By taking down the BOA site aren't they removing the freedom of bank customers to choose who they bank with?

Just wondering out loud again.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djarums
So... wouldn't the appropriate action be to use their tremendous numbers to pressure the bank by encouraging boycotts?

Boycotts much like petitions seldom work. By design they (boycotts/petitions) are cute and cuddly leaving a warm feeling for those who choose to use them but in reality they fail miserably and lead others to laugh at you. Added to which you have a general population who struggles more with getting their pants on correctly in the morning yet alone worrying about what their bank is doing on a day to say basis. I wish people would boycott banks, its just not going to happen. So with that said the only real and unfortunate recourse is setting off a ddos.

It does appear that their efforts were somewhat kludgey but in addition to anon stating they are pro free speech, they also claim to lack a structured hierarchy. So really what we are witnessing is exactly what should be expected, a massive & disorganized clusterf%^k.

brill

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
one of my biggest points is why is it not a bigger deal that the BOA site was bein hacked by anon in retaliation for wikileaks then 4chan goes down from the same type of attack.

1.why would anon shut down there own site with the same kind of attack?

2.why is anon so concerned with wiki leaks?

is anon just part of an even bigger plot with wiki leaks so that they can make everyday people believe there justified in being apart of a DDoS attack.

3.who really was behind wikileaks? becuz theres no way hackers got all the cables and whatever was in the insurance file.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:40 PM
link   
this attack seems suss in the way its been reported.
I can see these attacks being used to usher in new internet laws.
Especially now the banks are 'apparently' being targeted.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:59 PM
link   
or maybe the fact it really wasn't reported

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:10 AM
link   
Could Wikileaks be The Fed.
Food for thought.
edit on 29-12-2010 by AGRESSION because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
I have said it before these groups want attention and change shut down wall street. That would turn a lot of heads, not shutting down banking sites.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by bobdole210

Anon is a gang of teenage scriptkiddies with nothing better to do than cause mayhem and hack Sarah Palin's yahoo account, with which she conducts state business off-the-record.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by tristar

I am really interested in who you work for. You're avatar and some of your posts are, well intriguing to say the least.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by AGRESSION
Could Wikileaks be The Fed.
Food for thought.
edit on 29-12-2010 by AGRESSION because: (no reason given)

thats what i was getting at most hackers these days don't have the skills necessary to get into the NSA network without them knowing it. it had to have been an inside job or the feds them selfs trying to get citizens to incriminate them selfs by playing a part in pointless attacks lead by unskilled hackers that they can frame because there isp will have evidence of them having unusual internet activity.

all of the wiki leaks and anon stuff thats been going on is part of the plan, the feds started it and let it go on it's course so that they can use it in the argument that the internet needs to be censored, which in turn means anon is gonna cause the start of the censorship and demise of the internet as we all have known it for since it started, it was all about the freedom of speech that u wouldn't be persecuted on ur beliefs because ur were anonymous among all of the other anons but now that anon is a group which was started with bad intentions, it's all so that they can say that the citizens can't be trusted and then they can control what we can an can't do.
edit on 29-12-2010 by bobdole210 because: forgot to quote

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:22 AM
link   
Maybe this should be a sign for all the ;expert; anons to take all the 'script kiddies' in anon and you know TEACH THEM! If the kids dont know what they are doing, and the 'experts' arent offering any real and valuable advice, they are part of the problem. If more of these kids, who clearly have no idea what to do, became the 'grashoppahs' of the 1337 dudes...maybe they wouldnt be so ineffective.

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join