It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Unsolicited Proposal" for a sticky "Subject Matter Expert Requests" thread.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
The following thread is an Unsolicited Proposal (to the Staff as well as the verified and yet to be verified Subject Matter Experts) for a sticky thread to be created within this Forum. The intent of this proposed sticky thread is to provide a resource to the ATS community to request an expert on any given subject matter within a thread.

Currently, and according to the ATS Home Page the forums that are listed as

"MYSTERIOUS Subject Matter Forums"

...are: Conspiracies in Religions - Ancient & Lost Civilizations - 2012 - Origins and Creationism - Paranormal Studies - Predictions & Prophecies - Cryptozoology - Philosophy and Metaphysics

However, I believe this resource should be available for any forum as many of the other forums have their share of "Subject Matter Experts" per se.

The inspiration for this proposal was due to seeing the first few posts of a thread about a Russian Spiral similar to the Norway one. The Youtube Video of the Russian News Broadcast describing the event and interviewing the witnesses was ...well...in Russian. The contributor of the video then states something along the lines of "we need someone that speaks Russian...yup". Mind you I stopped reading the thread from there, perhaps it was translated. Be that as it may....

I thought, what if there were a thread one could post a request for a Russian speaking member to visit "such & such Spiral" thread and then say "I respectfully request a Russian speaking member to translate the video in this post Thank you in advance. Have a pleasent day." People with "other than ordinary" skills/knowledge/experience/language/etc could now easily have a thread to see if they could offer their assistance to anyone.

In Closing, this would in fact require participation from members on both sides of the fence (as it is). First "the experts", would need to periodically peruse this thread of course. Second, members would have to post requests in the thread to be perused. None the less, I feel it could be a very useful tool on ATS. All that's required is to provide the proper marketing of said thread and the participation of said thread by the members of ATS. Oh, and of course the actual authoring of said thread itself.

Thank you for your consideration and time.

-UberL33t

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
I deeply enjoyed your post, i do hope it gains the due attention.

tristar.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:40 PM
link   
In regards to other languages: Here is a Linguistics Registry although located in the A&U forum....it has an updated list of members who speak other languages. Maybe it should be moved to this forum (BBQ) so everyone will see it.
edit on December 28th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

edit on December 28th 2010 by greeneyedleo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:32 PM
link   
That's actually a very good idea OP.

Kudos to you and I hope your suggestion is well considered.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I think this is a great idea OP. I know there have certainly been times when I wish a subject matter expert could be found easily.

I am actually a fan of sticky threads for information whenever possible. Does anyone know if there is a sticky or master thread about forum mods? More than one occasion I have contacted a mod that I saw online, only to find out they did not have privledges in the forum I requested.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
It is a good idea.

i have always wanted to see a sticky in each forum that has a "toolbox" thread. This would be a table of contents that would link to all pertinent info that a member may need. For example, in alphabetized order, you could list links to the threads that have the TAC, how to do an avatar, SME's, so on and so forth.

A toolbox for all new members to use as reference.

I went looking for the TAC in the new 2010 layout and it took me 20 mins. It shouldn't be so hard to be a member for the noobs.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:16 PM
link   
Well so far there seemingly appears to be a consensus.

Thank you GEL, that's a very good resource to have bookmarked. I would also like to thank everyone who has posted thus far, very good suggestions and great comments.

new topics

top topics

join