It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Man with bullet parts arrested at Miami airport

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by masqua

Originally posted by MMPI2
If you were wearing overalls, looking like Uncle Bubba, talking about shooting that 14-point whitetail in south georgia and drinking a budweiser, I would not care in the slightest.

Maybe so... but I'd be willing to bet most wouldn't like it much, including me.

You think it's OK for Uncle Bubba to get on a cross country flight with an AK47 on his lap too?

As long as uncle bubba exercised good muzzle control and kept his flask full of corn liquor in his carry-on bag, I'd be just fine with it.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:39 PM
link   
I do not know how much force it takes for primers to explode or technichal terms, but if the story is real then we have to be concerned that what ever it is that they do to detect things that can explode, does not work.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by tristar
I doubt that rough weather would have ignited such cartridges but the mere fact that the individual decided to board the aircraft indicates a pure lack in rational thinking let alone comprehension of what is at stake these days.

"ignited such cartridges"????

Do you even know what a primer is?

It's a small cup containing a compound that ignites when struck (usually by a weapon's firing pin).

Maybe it was just a guy that does his own reloading as a hobby.

Sounds to me more like evidence that the TSA and others are handling baggage too roughly if they are causing primers to ignite.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

It's not the Gun; it's the person. Guns are just a tool. I could kill if I had to with a ball point pen or even just my bare hands. So would a person be denied to fly by possession of a pen or be a martial arts expert?

I could care less if there were a gun on a plane, because if it were legal I would have one too.

No one can stop a person who is determined to commit a crime you can only punish them for commiting it.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SWCCFAN
reply to post by masqua

It's not the Gun; it's the person. Guns are just a tool. I could kill if I had to with a ball point pen or even just my bare hands. So would a person be denied to fly by possession of a pen or be a martial arts expert?

I could care less if there were a gun on a plane, because if it were legal I would have one too.

No one can stop a person who is determined to commit a crime you can only punish them for commiting it.

Agreed.

Such tired, old anti-gun "logic" repeated ad nauseum in an attempt to somehow turn it into a "truth".

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
The last time my girlfriend went through Edinburgh airport she had a bag where the strap was made out of spent 9mm bullet cases, some with the bullets actually still intact although with no gunpowder and no one batted an eye lid accept that she was told she couldn't take it as carry on luggage

It wasn't until after she got home that she realised that she could have got herself in quite a serious situation if they hadn't been so understanding, I would imagine it would be at least an excuse to hold her for questioning for a while

I realise that bullets without gunpowder are not dangerous but they look just the same

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   
Laughing at the stupidity of the USGov. to actually think any of us would buy that explanation.

Baggage Smashers on the other hand, have been known to go through baggage being loaded and unloaded
looking for anything valuable. Then again, the passenger was the target....not a clepto baggage handler.

TPTB must be getting a bit worried....making up things and such....

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:57 PM
link   

Reading through the last few comments, so i guess, if i was attempting to board a plane with a full metal jacket and primers exposed, you, you as citizens would not be concerned ?

I could honestly say NO! NO! I would not be concerned! Unless he was from the middle east
No just joking! I would only be worried if he had blasting caps and black powder.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

I doubt that rough weather would have ignited such cartridges but the mere fact that the individual decided to board the aircraft indicates a pure lack in rational thinking let alone comprehension of what is at stake these days.

"ignited such cartridges"????

Do you even know what a primer is?

It's a small cup containing a compound that ignites when struck (usually by a weapon's firing pin).

Maybe it was just a guy that does his own reloading as a hobby.

Sounds to me more like evidence that the TSA and others are handling baggage too roughly if they are causing primers to ignite.

I was pointing out the fact that as a responsible citizen YOU DO NOT attempt to board an aircraft with items that are not categorized as safe ( ...and ppl scream out , police state ). Then again, if was to walk down town nyc with primers attached, trust me, i wont not go beyond 200 meters at best.

Its all about responsibility and not provoking, why is it so hard to understand, oh wait, then again, its people like minded that scream that the gov is not doing sheet about anything.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:12 PM
link   
This just shows how badly baggage handlers abuse our luggage.

I have had breakable items packed with clothing around it in hard case luggage and still had the handlers break it.

I also have had the out side of my luggage look like someone had dragged it down the runway.

So called Lost luggage is another one of my peeves. i have had a head case box with luggage tag, company address and phone number permanently marked on the outside of the case, plus had the same information on the inside.
The airline said it got lost.
I say it got stolen by someone working for the airline. And this was after 911 with all the high security.

If theft is still going on and the employees can get the stuff off the airport grounds it likely they could bring anything on the airport and put in on a plane.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
According to the news he is being charged with traveling interstate commerce without a ammunition license. That is just plain stupid, bullet primers are not bullets. Thats about as dumb as arresting and charging someone with being in possession of a firearm when all they own is the stock of the gun!!! I really cannot stand stupid people anymore.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:20 PM
link   
Percussion caps for black powder weapons, muzzle loaders or cap and ball revolvers could conceivably go off when dropped if something heavy hit them. Typically, they aren't as carefully packed for purchase, just kind of loose in a round can, like a snuff can. Box primers on the other hand are super difficult to set off if still in original packing.

If transporting on a plane, best to pack inside of a hard wooden box.

5 years in prison seems a bit steep for not paying a $20.00 HAZMAT fee!
edit on 28-12-2010 by pthena because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:22 PM
link   
It is illegal to transport Primers by Airplane as it is other HAZMAT items. The guy did break the law. However primers don't just go off. I have flown with live ammo and weapons and never had them discharge. So to think that the primer just went off with a boot kick does not make sense. So there has to me more to the story.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:33 PM
link   
So were they percussion caps for black powder, or were they cartridge primers?

Percussion caps pop fairly easily.

A few years back my cousins Great Dane got a percussion cap stuck on his tooth (God knows how) and when he bit down on it it popped the tooth it was on out and cracked the tooth next to it. (not to mention scared the s out of everybody in the room)
edit on 28-12-2010 by LittleIndianJr. because: spelling

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by jaynkeel
According to the news he is being charged with traveling interstate commerce without a ammunition license. That is just plain stupid, bullet primers are not bullets. Thats about as dumb as arresting and charging someone with being in possession of a firearm when all they own is the stock of the gun!!! I really cannot stand stupid people anymore.

Anyone care to elaborate on how primers can be easily converted into an item that is anything but useless. ?

Any takers ?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar

Anyone care to elaborate on how primers can be easily converted into an item that is anything but useless. ?

Any takers ?

1 insert primer in primer pocket of empty brass case.
2 pour powder into case.
3 press bullet into case neck, crimp if desired.
4 place completed round into firearm chamber.

Result: 1 each loaded firearm

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena
reply to post by tristar

Any takers ?

1 insert primer in primer pocket of empty brass case.
2 pour powder into case.
3 press bullet into case neck, crimp if desired.
4 place completed round into firearm chamber.

Result: 1 each loaded firearm

Much appreciate your time...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by tristar
That's just the basics. Need tools also for most steps.

I think the guy was going to Jamaica? Could be international charges.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by pthena
reply to post by tristar
That's just the basics. Need tools also for most steps.

I think the guy was going to Jamaica? Could be international charges.

In plain English, his a$$ IS grass.

Excuse the one liner, but i assume people understand what i am on about.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   
If anything you are carrying is designed to be part of any weapons system, you probably shouldn't be trying to get it on board the aircraft. General rule of thumb.

If you need to transport primers (or whatever), then ship it via UPS or FedEx. Don't be a cheap idiot and try to carry it on your airplane ride.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join