It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I spent 3 hours in the ER on the 15th. I just got my $11,000.00 bill in the mail.

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   
I'm pretty sick, my mental health is all but shattered. It's been a slow and tedious road to recovery and I from what doctors have told me, I'll never be fully healed.

My mental health pushes me to the extreme, I've visited the hospital over 20 times in December of last year, I basically spent the entire holiday season in the ER. I've had so many tests done on me and got tons of support from Psychiatrists. I could have stayed there, the offer was standing but I declined knowing that all I needed was some guidance. All of this paid for by the government who rather invest its money in it's people rather prioritize the funding of senseless wars and mega armies.

Most right wing Americans would call me weak but they didn't have to experience the traumatic life/lifestyle that I went through. It's only when these people live through such ordeals that can they ever stand a chance understand, those that have seen the worst atrocities of life, a lot of them who come back from the war or those who suffer mental anguish from losing everything they had in life and being left in the gutter with nothing, as we've recently seen on many videos posted on ATS as of late. That lack of Empathy is not a strength but one of man's greatest weakness.

I've never been very patriotic but the Canadian health care system is something that makes me proud of my country. We have other mental health clinics in every city that's funded by the government for those who need constant advice, care and monitoring. My better half, I couldn't say less, has two bachelor degrees and works from a company that is mostly funded by the government; her job is to help, care, clean and assist people who have physical and mental anguish in every way possible. I can't see how anyone could ever bash the Canadian health care system.

And waiting times; that's a myth. Sure I've had to wait for about 10% of the test that were done on me but that's because we don't play favorites in Canada. It's called triage, where people get put in line depends on the urgency of the tests and if you really want it now and insist, they won't argue. I just never do that because it's never been a necessity. I'm due for my yearly blood work and all that, I know I'll have to wait a month but that's the point, it's not something that I need right now; I just rather know now if there is any changes I need to make in my life. So I'll visit the doctor sooner than later in order to get these tests when I had originally planned on getting them.

To the OP, I feel for you, I know I couldn't live in your country because there seems to be no room for those with constant mental anguish. I feel for the war veterans, for the single mothers, for the homeless, for the unemployed who really really try and contribute to the system only to be pushed back down as soon as they can crawl out of the hole. America is ruthless, it's sharp teeth bites with no remorse, it's a cold country based on greed and material excess with no consideration for the needs of those who can't afford to be sick.

Like some people have suggested, renounce your citizenship and move to Canada. There's work, there's help and there's support. We always have room for one more, friend.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:49 AM
link   
reply to post by endtimer

The point is that it's a joke to have to pay for basic healthcare and ER work at all. I'm just glad i live in Australia where my government looks after my healthcare

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
Thank the maker for the NHS.

Why don't you guys just set up a national insurance? It works out for the best, You know its the working and lower class who end up in hospital more due to their jobs and living conditions and so on.

Why stay in a system where people benefit from ill health? No wonder you guys get all sorts of crap put into your water and open food chains such as Mcdonalds, the more unhealthy you are the richer someone is.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:06 AM
link   
If you only make $50.00 a month I suggest you go down to your local welfare office. You should qualify for cash, food stamps and medical insurance that they can back date.

I believe if you are younger then 55 you can get 100 % coverage free I think they might give you Medicare free if over 55 but that only covers 80% of your Bill.

I suggest you make the trip to see what can be done for you and don't feel bad you would need to go there it is for those that need help until things get straightened out for you.

Best of luck

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by thewanger
Thank the government! Almost 80% of your bill is due to government interference of the free market of healthcare. Got to pay the government don't you.

Cuz Lord only knows, the Banks sure did a good job of utilising their freedoms of enterprise for the public good!

As did Big Oil...and big Pharma is all about helping the little guy.

Gimme some more of that Kool-Ade, will ya?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Threads about the US medical system are ten a penny on ATS forum boards and this one is no different in the arguments it throws up. However, a couple of interesting points have arisen. There are people suggesting members are 'American bashing' and using the thread content to make easy political jibes. Not true. There are those like myself who think the US medical system is flawed and dare suggest that a national health care system might work and those who believe in the status quo. There are people saying the current system needs to change, but offer no alternate ideas. I say this: the UK's national health service (NHS) isn't perfect; not by a long shot. There are problems across the entire spectrum of providing heath care to the populous, but somehow it works. I am willing to bet that a vast majority of low-income Americans suffer undue stress due to medical insurance and would go as far to say that lives are cost due to this. I have spent enough time living with ordinary Americans to know that getting ill is always a worry due to the financial burden it inflicts. In some part, a national health service can remove that burden and stress and allow the person to deal with their medical condition alone. As it should be.

There are those in this thread that say health care shouldn't be free. It never is in a national system. Every tax paying UK citizen funds the NHS - nothing is free. I smoke and through my taxes pay for my part of the system. Because I smoke I could develop a preventable illness which I would look to the NHS to treat. I am not about to start complaining about the tens of thousands of preventable alcohol related injuries visiting A&E every Saturday night due to binge drinking. Nor will I complain about people being admitted with injuries after indulging in high-risk sports. Preventable by not participating in the first place. Finally, I won't complain about the rise of sexually transmitted diseases because people won't use protection. I could go on, but you get the point.

Members are also complaining about immigrants receiving free health care. I pay my share towards their cost through taxes as do many immigrants. I even pay for illegal immigrants, but that isn't preventing me from getting the care when I need it. I have many worries about life in the War of Terror, but knowing that when I fall ill I will receive the care I need without worrying about paying for it and the undue stress and angst that brings then, I believe, I wouldn't want the UK national health service to be any different.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   
You should contact them and set up payment plan. It is horrible that medical assistance costs so much. I'm sorry you have to experience this.. I hope you are well and wish you the best.

I spent 1 hour at a hospital once and got charged 10,000. I made my work pay for it since my cause of going occured at work. The hospital kept sending me bills and bills and I kept giving them to my work and they said they'd take care of it.. took 2 years before I stopped getting bills. I was pretty mad since I told my work I didn't want to goto the hospital, that I had an aunt whos a nurse and she could easily repair the damages. They forced me to go.
edit on 29-12-2010 by Myendica because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Alchemst7
You should apply for state Medicare/Medical. They will prorate your emergency visit and pay for it. You should qualify if your only making $50 a month.

This is true where I live at least. I had a similar situation. I was unemployed and went to the ER with severe chest pains and was admitted immediately. I stayed for 3 days, had an ultrasound, 2 CT Scans, and X-rays, and various other tests, as well as intravenious pain killers and medications. I told the nurse that there's no way I would be able to pay for all this. She had a social worker come to my room, who arranged for me to get onto the state health insurance plan.

After I got out of the hospital I had a short time to fax them all kinds of paperwork proving my identity and financial status, which turned out to me a bureaucratic nightmare, but they eventually paid the entire bill, which was somewhere around $8000 I think (I only saw a few of the bills). They also paid for follow-up treatment until I started working again.

Unfortunately, since then the state health insurance plan has had serious cuts, so this may not hold true today.

OP - Look into it, you have nothing to lose at this point.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The "health care system" in this country (USA) is SICK. I had to retire at 62 because of health concerns. I paid into Social Security and Medi Care all my life. When I had to retire at 62, because of health reasons, I lost all coverage and CANNOT get on Medi Care coverage until I am 65...no if's and's or but's. In addition NO private insurance company will sell me health care coverage at any price.

When I DO get coverage (in 11 months, should I survive), I'll have to pay $110 per month for part B, $130 per month for medi gap insurance and $35 per month for Drug coverage. That is $275 per month for "free coverage" and even then, I have to pay co-pays and deductables out of my own pocket!

On top of all that, I have to listen to news programs and political pundits clammoring that the only way to get government spending "under control" is to to eleminate that evil Medi Care program. You know, the Medi Care I have been paying into for over 40 years!

I understand the OP's frustration completely. We live in the richest nation on Earth and tens of millions of US citizens have to "go begging" for any health care. This is SHAMEFUL.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:40 AM
link   

Are there no prisons?

Are there no workhouses?

Better they die and decrease the surplus population.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by projectvxn

Many folks in this thread are busy using this story by the OP to make their politically motivated, absurdly emotional points about how much American health care sucks...

And you are not among them? lol. Your point is also seemingly based on emotionality. Angry over the thought of paying a bill because someone smoked themselves into a disease?

The thought is the same, only from a different angle. (Or rather, the emotion).

As far as applying for assistance, before coming in here on a high horse, MM, with such indignation that the program you suggested hasn't been applied for, let him first appy for it and see how far it gets.

I have assisted others in applying for programs, and not only is it a nightmare to do so, it is often designed for few people to qualify. It can be very difficult to meet the qualifying criteria for such programs. And mentioning the OP's internet connection? Do you resent that he/she has one? Good lord, I think you do. More disdain and punishment for the poor. How dare they seek any enjoyment in life? They are too poor for crying out loud

Let him apply first, and see how it goes. I also don't see the point in completely downgrading someone because they may have been unaware of a program.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I had an EKG and a urine test and a ultrasound. Plus some intravenous pain killer. My hands are shaking uncontrollably right now because I am so ticked off. MEDICINE SHOULD NOT COST THIS MUCH. I have lost my job and make $50.00 dollars a month. To be fair I must say that Banner Baywood discounted my bill by $8,000.00 so that my final bill is only $3,000.00, but I still cannot pay that when I only have fifty bucks a month coming in. I owe the Radiologist $460.00 dollars for their test and I still have not gotten the bill from the ER doctor who will bill separately. I will update this thread after I talk to the financial responsibility representative from Banner Baywood.

Be thankful you live in a country where they will treat you first then, and a country where we don't have debtor's prisons. You got treated.... and you only make $50 a month (by the way, what the hell is paying you $50 a month? And where are you getting internet access at if you only make that much?).

Bottom line is that our medical bills are that high because people like you who cannot or will not pay their bill.

They have to over bill everyone to make up the difference.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Do what I did. DON'T PAY IT!!!
Throw the bills away, don't even open them.
Let them call all they want, hang up on them, don't answer.
If you can keep this up for about 7 years they magically disappear.

Nothing, nada, not a peep from the paper people who were trying to collect from me or sue me anymore.
And they have vanished from my credit report this year.

True Story.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007

The point is that it's a joke to have to pay for basic healthcare and ER work at all. I'm just glad i live in Australia where my government looks after my healthcare

You mean until you have a real health emergency and need state of the art care.... then you'll be trying to book a flight to the U.S.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cocasinpry
I'm pretty sick, my mental health is all but shattered. It's been a slow and tedious road to recovery and I from what doctors have told me, I'll never be fully healed.

My mental health pushes me to the extreme, I've visited the hospital over 20 times in December of last year, I basically spent the entire holiday season in the ER. I've had so many tests done on me and got tons of support from Psychiatrists. I could have stayed there, the offer was standing but I declined knowing that all I needed was some guidance. All of this paid for by the government who rather invest its money in it's people rather prioritize the funding of senseless wars and mega armies.

Most right wing Americans would call me weak but they didn't have to experience the traumatic life/lifestyle that I went through. It's only when these people live through such ordeals that can they ever stand a chance understand, those that have seen the worst atrocities of life, a lot of them who come back from the war or those who suffer mental anguish from losing everything they had in life and being left in the gutter with nothing, as we've recently seen on many videos posted on ATS as of late. That lack of Empathy is not a strength but one of man's greatest weakness.

I've never been very patriotic but the Canadian health care system is something that makes me proud of my country. We have other mental health clinics in every city that's funded by the government for those who need constant advice, care and monitoring. My better half, I couldn't say less, has two bachelor degrees and works from a company that is mostly funded by the government; her job is to help, care, clean and assist people who have physical and mental anguish in every way possible. I can't see how anyone could ever bash the Canadian health care system.

And waiting times; that's a myth. Sure I've had to wait for about 10% of the test that were done on me but that's because we don't play favorites in Canada. It's called triage, where people get put in line depends on the urgency of the tests and if you really want it now and insist, they won't argue. I just never do that because it's never been a necessity. I'm due for my yearly blood work and all that, I know I'll have to wait a month but that's the point, it's not something that I need right now; I just rather know now if there is any changes I need to make in my life. So I'll visit the doctor sooner than later in order to get these tests when I had originally planned on getting them.

To the OP, I feel for you, I know I couldn't live in your country because there seems to be no room for those with constant mental anguish. I feel for the war veterans, for the single mothers, for the homeless, for the unemployed who really really try and contribute to the system only to be pushed back down as soon as they can crawl out of the hole. America is ruthless, it's sharp teeth bites with no remorse, it's a cold country based on greed and material excess with no consideration for the needs of those who can't afford to be sick.

Like some people have suggested, renounce your citizenship and move to Canada. There's work, there's help and there's support. We always have room for one more, friend.

Is this a joke? I pray it is. "Mental anguish and atrocities... "
"Senseless mega armies".....

For one, what the hell are you doing in the ER for mental illness? Why are they running tests on you if you've got PTSD?

Go get in a strait jacket if you're that jacked up ("... have a chance to understand":lol

20 days in the ER? You're lying. They'd have done surgery on you if you were in there that long. AND if it's because you're jacked in the head, you would have been committed, not offered to stay in the ER you goon.

Lastly, because America has those "Senseless mega armies" - Canada doesn't have to. But if the US was like you, you'd be speaking Ruskie by now... sorry - fact.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnBreakable

Are there no prisons?

Are there no workhouses?

Exactly. Maybe some folks would like to bring these back. Throw them in a poorhouse/prison and let them die out of our sight, and without our help, they certainly don't deserve it. They are not as smart as us, or lucky.

Let's go back to the 19th century when human life had little value.

Oh Wait! It's the 21st Century, and according to some on here, human life still has no value.........

edit on 12/29/2010 by ladyinwaiting because: Add
to insure sarcasm was understood.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:55 AM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Last spring I had a really bad sore throat and horrible chest congestion. I thought it might be pneumonia again...
I don't have a regular doctor because i rarely get sick and don't have health insurance.
I called a local clinic to see how much it would cost (I actually don't mind paying cash for services as NEEDED)
She told me it would be 300 dollars upfront for the appointment and then more depending on what other procedures (test, drugs, etc) are performed. I just about fell over! 300-600 dollars to just SEE a doctor for a sore throat????

Needless to say...I DID NOT go to see the doctor. I suffered through about 2 weeks of this and then felt better. The congestion lasted about 2 months and then that got better.

**this summer I had my wisdom teeth pulled. With xrays, exam, drugs, and extraction I only paid 200.00.
I was so happy that it didn't cost so much...but what I can't figure is how teeth extraction with all the drugs cost 200.00 and a visit to a family physician cost 3-6 hundred?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:56 AM
link   
I can relate.. I had internal bleeding for 5 days so finally went to the ER (didnt know i was bleeding) Had emergency surgery,blood transfusion(3 bags) and of course the medince,food etc and a week stay. My bill came back $33,000 no insurance. Im up $52,000 now. I could put down half the cost of a house. I had good credit too but now it is completely shot.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by ladyinwaiting

Originally posted by UnBreakable

Are there no prisons?

Are there no workhouses?

Exactly. Maybe some folks would like to bring these back. Throw them in a poorhouse/prison and let them die out of our sight, and without our help, they certainly don't deserve it. They are not as smart as us, or lucky.

Let's go back to the 19th century when human life had little value.

Problem is, in so many ways, we are already there. Banksters get bailouts in the trillions they don't have to repay and citizens get screwed.

It's the American way!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by gncnew

Uh sorry... "people like you"?
If you were a person like them you would be on your high horse and half way down the mountain by now.
Some people suprisingly enough actually face difficult periods in life where money is scarce and they have no way to sustain an income.
But because, they cannot work like you do they should be left to rot?
That is a very very apathic statement and a worrying one.
Also, you told that guy to get into a straight jacket, are you kidding? who do you think you are?
Extreme mental Illnesses have just been proven to be just as debilatating as physical injuries. You would probably know this if you had ever gone through them at one point.

So instead of coming on here and having your little rant about how people dont work as hard as you and you shouldnt have to pay for them and whatever, even if these people had sustainable incomes you would be paying the same amount of tax anyway.
So lets try to have a little sympathy yea?

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join