It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I spent 3 hours in the ER on the 15th. I just got my $11,000.00 bill in the mail.

page: 25
<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by groingrinder

Here in the USA, you can live as long as you like. That is if you have enough money... And if you're really smart, you know how to get all your medical care, gather all the medical bills, live longer, then declare bankruptcy. And not owe a dime. Good luck.
edit on 29-12-2010 by wiredamerican because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:14 PM
link   
reply to post by adigregorio

I just want to note.. That if this is recent you can probably seek grievance against the ambulance agency..

It is quite literally considered kidnapping and assault to take someone that is both competent and of legal capacity by the ambulance agency against their will(note: It takes a lot of mind altering substances to disqualify you as incompetent).. I know this from EMT Basic training.
If this was a number of years ago, things may have been different.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Here are two Medical Doctors I recommend you look into their names Dr William Campbell and Dr Al Sears

their websites are douglassreport.com...

and Al Sears website is www.alsearsmd.com

They are very good doctors now I know everyone(most) are out their to make money but their first priority is health not money,money comes next for them but BIG Pharma is money and money ONLY drug medication only get to the symptoms or cause symptoms herbs from nature have a perfect harmony with the body.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   
I knew someone who called 911 because they were feeling a tightness in their chest. An ambulance arrived and they did an EKG on-site and although it showed nothing was wrong, the paramedics insisted on taking her to the hospital. She let them take her to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with having heartburn and released. They sent her a bill of $1200 for the ambulance, $400 for the EKG, and another $1800 for another EKG and blood tests at the hospital. All told almost $3,000.00 just from eating too much pudding

I also know someone whose father was having a heart attack. An off-duty paramedic who lived nearby heard the ambulance call on his at-home police scanner, and went to the house, arriving right after the paramedics. Although the off-duty paramedic literally did absolutely nothing but watch, he sent a bill for $500 for responding to a call which he was not even called for, and for administering absolutely no care.

I have told all of my friends and family that if anything ever happens to me, that unless I am dying I do not want to ride in an ambulance. If I just have a broken bone or something I have no problem with riding in a car and saving $1,000.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Vicky32

Right my point was..
Saying something is free implies no one pays for it. It's a gift. A free cookie sample is just that. A cookie. Given to you, by the company.

Socialized health care is not free, given to you by the hospital. The hospital is still paid. By the government. By the People.

I'm not bashing this system. Quite the opposite. I think it's time to put it in place here in America. (Or Amerika now for our right wing members)

There needs to be global reforms in our system. But the news media pounces on it like turkey dinner on thanks giving that. They scared people out of that idea. I knew quite a few people over the years that said "NHS.. Sounds like a good system" and then as soon as things started over here they suddenly hated the NHS and the idea of socialized medicine.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:37 PM
link   
reply to post by Blazer

How long ago did an off-duty paramedic send a bill for $500?

Thats crazy. If they did that in my state they'd probably be at the very least fired for legally proving that they had treated someone off company time..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   
reply to post by ElectricUniverse

We're bankrupt also, they just aren't telling us yet, there's a few more pennies in our pockets that they want to shake out first....

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer

I'm not sure what the point is. You had all of these procedures done,
knowing you only have $50.00 a month, you knew this going to the
Medical Center. Now what? Are you mad at society or the Hospital
in general because they didn't wipe out the entire debt? You stated
that they took off $8,000 and have $3,000 left to pay off. I would say
that is a pretty darn good arrangement. What are you complaining
about? Suck it up and get a part time job. Do something besides
complaining to ATS.

edit on 28-12-2010 by endtimer because: (no reason given)

this is the typical "stuck up" point of view. The guy who's never know desperation.

I agree with the OP on this one.

HOwever, we, as a society, have allowed it to happen through our lethargic mannerisms....we are now reaping the seeds we have sewn.

There's really only one way to fix it all

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by endtimer

I'm not sure what the point is. You had all of these procedures done,
knowing you only have $50.00 a month, you knew this going to the
Medical Center. Now what? Are you mad at society or the Hospital
in general because they didn't wipe out the entire debt? You stated
that they took off $8,000 and have $3,000 left to pay off. I would say
that is a pretty darn good arrangement. What are you complaining
about? Suck it up and get a part time job. Do something besides
complaining to ATS.

edit on 28-12-2010 by endtimer because: (no reason given)

Are you kidding? You've totally missed the real point. Even at $3,000 it is a total ripoff. Our healthcare system is ridiculous. $11,000 is beyond unethical. Our healthcare system is broken beyond belief. 15 minutes in an ambulance is above what most people could pull our of their accounts. I'm talking 15 minutes. It's nuts. Why should we have to pay so much for health care when it many times isn't health care at all. It's largely expensive procedures and pill popping, which could largely be avoided if it were a system that really looked after "health."

Troy
edit on 30-12-2010 by cybertroy because: two troy's lol

edit on 30-12-2010 by cybertroy because: had an unnecessary word

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:25 AM
link   
I don't understand why you aren't on the government health care system.... When I say that I mean that MOST states have a medical care plan for people in the poverty level. Which unfortunetly is taken out of the taxes that are paid by the rest of the population. Not to rag on you as times are tough, but I personally know people who abuse that system for their own benefit.

I also don't understand how you can only make $50 a month but still have the internet? I mean seriously, even WalMart has a health plan and 401k. What are you waiting for?

Link to state of Wisconsin health insurance for child/poverty level adults.
www.dhs.wisconsin.gov...
edit on 30-12-2010 by intelinside451 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:26 AM
link   

First off, I hope that you are ok. Going to the ER is never a good time...even with IV painkillers.

If you asked people what the biggest industy in the US is, most people would answer oil or defence. The largest indusry in the US is health care. Your bill was 11k for several reasons.

1. You went to the ER. If you are looking to sue a hospital for malpractice, the ER is the place to go. Malpractice insurance for a ER is rediculous. This causes a massive increase to an already high over head, staying open 24/7 isn't cheap (especially in small cities).

2. ER Dr's are forced to cover their butts. Now in order to be covered by the malpractive insurer they must perform tests to cover themselves that just cost you money.

3. Administration costs. All of this work must be well documented. It is estimated that 1/3rd of healthcare cost are attributed to administration.

4. The majority of insurance companies use a "fee-for-service" model. Your Dr gets paid by how much work he does.

5. Fraudulent billing. Much like credit card companies passing off high fraud costs off to the consumer (via high APR), the insurance companies hand high fraud costs off to the hospitals which, in turn, gets passed off to you.

These are the major reasons your bill was $11,000. How many hospitals do you see on the "Fortune 500?" Hospitals are just trying stay afloat while pocketing enough profit to be able to afford the lastest technology. I don't know how long you were in the ER but $3k seems pretty reasonable to me. If you had insurance that would be $300-$600 for a ER visit. I imagine this wouldn't have been so expensive if it wasn't done in a ER.

Again, I hope you are ok.

This country is in serious trouble. It seems like everyone feels they are entitled to something. Free healthcare, free housing (welfare), free food (food stamps), free college for the underprivilaged and minorities, free this free that. Oh your an illegal immigrant? Come on in, don't forget you grab your free ride. What happened to self initiative? What happened to work ethic? When was the Bill of Rights changed? Nobody gives a SH!T about what our forefathers wrote. Nobody cares about the Constitution anymore, like we as a society have progressed beyond it. We are digressing. Democrats and Republicans are both a cancer to this country. The only thing that can save us is education and our government is making sure that doesn't happen. Go out an work, pay your bill, and be thankful you're still alive.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by Vicky32

Right my point was..
Saying something is free implies no one pays for it. It's a gift. A free cookie sample is just that. A cookie. Given to you, by the company.

Socialized health care is not free, given to you by the hospital. The hospital is still paid. By the government. By the People.

I'm not bashing this system. Quite the opposite. I think it's time to put it in place here in America. (Or Amerika now for our right wing members)

There needs to be global reforms in our system. But the news media pounces on it like turkey dinner on thanks giving that. They scared people out of that idea. I knew quite a few people over the years that said "NHS.. Sounds like a good system" and then as soon as things started over here they suddenly hated the NHS and the idea of socialized medicine.

Yes, exactly - not free, but paid for by the government, from tax money that everyone who is an adult pays (even if they are on an unemployment benefit.) All that means, that I who have about $2000.00 in savings will not be bankrupted if/when I have the MI my son seems convinced I am going to have!
(He's a cardiac nurse - everything looks like a heart problem to him...
)
I was listening to the news a while ago, and hearing a very sad on-going story, about a child who fell into a hot pool in a geothermal area (think Yellowstone!) This poor child's condition has deteriorated and his parents must feel absolutely terrible. The child is in Intensive care - but whatever terrible things happen (I pray he'll recover but he may not) - they will not face bankruptcy for the week their poor child has already spent in the ICU..
Vicky

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Back in October my girlfriend took me to the ER.. Had chest pains and couldn't breath. I was set up in the cardiac unit of the ER. Had Oxygen attached, IV meds, and nearly unconscious. Along comes a woman from billing asking me to write a check for a hundred dollar co-payment..I thought my girlfriend was going to get arrested she was so angry. The cost of tests and medicines given for that visit was outrageous. I do have health insurance, but still it can't cost that much money for some of the test performed..

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Stay afloat? Are you kidding? Doctors are paid very well. It is a hugely profitable business. "Health care" is where the money is at. Why do you think people go to school for it?

You know, I think it's time for the health care system to take responsibility for their actions. Stop handing out medication like lollipops. It's time doctors to educate us in the value of nutrition and supplementation, and maybe so many of us wouldn't end up on a slab getting a preventable expensive procedure.

And, I'm going to note, there are times for medication, and there are times for surgeries and stuff, but not to the degree that it's being done currently.

People are hurting because of this health care system.

The system gets sued for their mis-deeds, and feel it necessary for us to carry the cost on our back. It is the doctor that messed up, the health care system that messed up with botched unnecessary expensive procedures and toxic medications. We don't owe the system for screwing up. We don't owe the system for deteriorating the health of their patients, and bringing financial burden on them. That is the system's debt, not ours.

That being said, it is understood, people try their best, and do there best, but still end up being sued. This is different.

The health care system needs to clean up its act, and start being what their name implies, which is "health care." I say to the health care system, it's time to take responsibility for your actions. You guys have worked miracles, but you have also brought great harm to people. So, are you going to work for a "health care system," or are you in the business of making profit without worry of responsibility?

Troy
edit on 30-12-2010 by cybertroy because: thought of more

edit on 30-12-2010 by cybertroy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by groingrinder
I had an EKG and a urine test and a ultrasound. Plus some intravenous pain killer. My hands are shaking uncontrollably right now because I am so ticked off. MEDICINE SHOULD NOT COST THIS MUCH. I have lost my job and make $50.00 dollars a month. To be fair I must say that Banner Baywood discounted my bill by $8,000.00 so that my final bill is only $3,000.00, but I still cannot pay that when I only have fifty bucks a month coming in. I owe the Radiologist $460.00 dollars for their test and I still have not gotten the bill from the ER doctor who will bill separately. I will update this thread after I talk to the financial responsibility representative from Banner Baywood.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:47 AM
link   

I had an EKG and a urine test and a ultrasound. Plus some intravenous pain killer. My hands are shaking uncontrollably right now because I am so ticked off. MEDICINE SHOULD NOT COST THIS MUCH. I have lost my job and make $50.00 dollars a month. To be fair I must say that Banner Baywood discounted my bill by $8,000.00 so that my final bill is only $3,000.00, but I still cannot pay that when I only have fifty bucks a month coming in. I owe the Radiologist $460.00 dollars for their test and I still have not gotten the bill from the ER doctor who will bill separately. I will update this thread after I talk to the financial responsibility representative from Banner Baywood.

It's unfortunate, but that is how much medicine cost. It's not cheap. Hospitals have to pay rent or pay off bonds for construction, salaries for doctors, buy medicine, hire personnel who are scarce and able to demand large salaries because of it, malpractice and other insurance, an administrative staff, legal staff to defend against lawsuits, a custodial staff, and cover the costs of paying for the poor and others who don't or can't pay. Not to mention electricity costs, the costs of computer equipment, back up generators and expensive medical devices that perform the tests that save people's lives. These things are not cheap to manufacture, buy or contract for.

While we may not need Obamacare, we need some type of health care reform that makes it more affordable and more accessible.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Blazer
I knew someone who called 911 because they were feeling a tightness in their chest. An ambulance arrived and they did an EKG on-site and although it showed nothing was wrong, the paramedics insisted on taking her to the hospital. She let them take her to the hospital, where she was diagnosed with having heartburn and released. They sent her a bill of $1200 for the ambulance, $400 for the EKG, and another $1800 for another EKG and blood tests at the hospital. All told almost $3,000.00 just from eating too much pudding

I also know someone whose father was having a heart attack. An off-duty paramedic who lived nearby heard the ambulance call on his at-home police scanner, and went to the house, arriving right after the paramedics. Although the off-duty paramedic literally did absolutely nothing but watch, he sent a bill for $500 for responding to a call which he was not even called for, and for administering absolutely no care.

I have told all of my friends and family that if anything ever happens to me, that unless I am dying I do not want to ride in an ambulance. If I just have a broken bone or something I have no problem with riding in a car and saving $1,000.

Theres a rumor going around that they will soon be installing credit card machines in the back of US ambulances and at the entrances of ER's.

Kind of a funny story.

The last time I went to Mexico I drove across the border and 60 miles to the ocean. Just before leaving the mexican border town we got flagged down to stop at one final checkpoint. Two mexican ambulances and thier drivers were flagging people down and asking for donations. If you donated you got a little sticker to place on your mirror. If you chose not to donate I don't think they give you a sticker. It seems like they have a kind of unofficial pay as you go understanding down there.

Then as you come back across the border and are waiting in line, on the Mexican side, to be inspected by US customs they send out the children missing arms and legs out to hobble up and down the line of cars carrying a tin cup.

[Side note: Mexican customs couldn't care less what you bring in. There is no wait going into Mexico, unlike when you are comming back into the US]
edit on 30-12-2010 by In nothing we trust because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 12:59 AM
link   
I make $12 an hour have a child an house payment and they want me to pay $320 a month to medical bills I owe $8900 on I sent them a $25 and they still counted me a late payment. Its awesome!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:06 AM
link   

Hospitals charge at least 3x the amount so the INSURANCE COMPANIES *MIGHT* pay 1/3 of the bill.

DON'T blame the hospital. BLAME THE INSURANCE COMPANY, THEIR LOBBYISTS, AND THE GOVERNMENT.

PRAY to your GOD Government HEALTH ROBBERY doesn't happen.

Question?

Has your insurance premiums increased over and beyond standard since Obama has been in office?

Hi, Mr. Lobbyist.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 01:07 AM
link   
It's not just insurance, the health care system is fundamentally broken.

I talked to one of my 80 year old clients the other day, and he told me a story about his doctor, who took him to his office or something. My friend waited around, thinking he might get a prescription for his diagnosis. And, the doctor finally said something to the effect of, "Stay the hell away from doctors, you'll live a lot longer that way." He told my friend he was more of a natural kind of doctor. It was just funny to hear that coming out of a doctors mouth.

I think the best advice is to take care of yourself, and stay out of the health care system as much as you can. You'll be healthier and you'll save a lot of money.

Troy
edit on 30-12-2010 by cybertroy because: added a sentence

new topics

top topics

<< 22  23  24    26  27  28 >>

join