It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Painted Furniture - SouthWest Style - by BH

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+7 more 
posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:59 PM
link   
We got this little Santa Fe cabinet a few weeks ago. The place where we use it left the ugly back of it in view, so I decided to do something artistic with it and paint some Southwest designs on the back. And then I thought, why not get carried away!

I had a blast!

Here's the cabinet before, front and back:

And after... the Top:

The back and top:

And the front and top:

And a closeup of the front:

I really enjoyed doing this and was pleased with the outcome!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:05 PM
link   
I like your use of colours as well as images. The wolf is especially well done with the body being the actual wood.

You should be proud of that as you have also given me an idea for a piece of furniture to do myself.

I did notice though, a paw in one of the pictures that gave me a smile. They are never far away are they..

Well done indeed...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Thank you, tribe. No, the puppy paws are never far away, thankfully.

I had originally planned to do the coyote in black as a silhouette, but when I started filling in the background, I thought the wood looked really good! I'm sealing it now and I think it will look even better after that.

Thanks again!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:24 PM
link   
BH, as a carpenter, I always like to restore old furniture that is worth it. Never liked using paints though, I prefer the look of stain and the natural wood. I have tried the antiquing and also the stressed look (purposefully damaging-chain hits, nicks, hammer blows, etc) but not any paints.

I might have to reconsider with the artwork look. Looks good.
edit on 28-12-2010 by saltheart foamfollower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
I like restoring furniture, too. I have never painted it before, though. This was my first try. I'll probably do more, because I had SO much fun!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:57 PM
link   
...you did a really good job... love it...

...was that free-hand or stencils?... i'd have to go with stencils cuz my drawing is lousy, lol...

...i've long had the reputation for painting anything that'll hold still for a few minutes... old pottery, plastic flower pots, old venetian blinds, old lps that were too warped to play, lp jackets - nothing is safe, lol...

...with furniture that has lost its sheen, i found this great paint at hobby lobby... cant remember if its folk art, apple barrel or anitas - but - the name is "wrought iron" and its a matte finish... dry wood sucks it up like crazy... with just one coat, you can still see the wood grain... i prefer several coats and, with the last coat, i streak in a little antique gold here and there (using a very tiny brush)... turns out great...

...what kind of sealer are you using?... most of those stink real bad and some will mess up your paint job... when i have to use a sealer, i like the spray on ones (often used in dried flower arrangements) - never had that turn yellow...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Wyn Hawks

It was free hand. And I'm using spray on sealer, for sure!

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:57 PM
link   
I love it BH.
If you did that by freehand I am totally impressed.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:21 PM
link   
That's great work, especially for being free hand. The coyote or wolf was a nice touch. I also liked the lizard.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:18 PM
link   
That is so beautiful. Can you imagine how much it'd go for in a World Market or some trendy home furnishing store?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
BH I am very impressed with that piece.
It totally looks like something I would do.
There is a store nearby called Southern Exposure and I try to steal their ideas whenever I visit.
Again, well done.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:54 AM
link   
Thanks everyone!

Originally posted by Hadrian
Can you imagine how much it'd go for in a World Market or some trendy home furnishing store?

I have imagined... yes. And it has crossed my mind to do a few pieces and see if I could sell them. We live in the southwest, but in a small town. I'd have to transport them to Tuscon or Las Cruses to find a market. But that's a possibility.

This piece is a little busy. I had several ideas and wanted to try them all.
But I was really pleased with the coyote. That's more my style than the loud colors. I mixed all the colors on the coyote panel.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:26 PM
link   
Love it, love it! I have the primitive flute player etched on (fake) stone as a ceiling-fan pull in the kitchen.

Your work is lovely and charming. Good you pulled out all the stops. (And you can sing, too.)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Just reading through again, I have done painting with water based using masking, if you use stencils or masking the paint will bleed under. A technique I found was to use a caulking on the edges of the tape, just a quick smear before applying the paint. If you spray, as long as it is a thin coat, it would not bleed but when using brushes the paint for some reason always bleeds. Just something to keep in mind.

Learned on stenciling some equipment out in Fresno for former boss and on painting around wood on homes.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:03 AM
link   
reply to post by saltheart foamfollower

I have never done stenciling. But good tips, Thanks.

I did once take an old table and I used an exacto knife to outline a pattern on it and then stained the areas different colors. It came out beautifully! I'll try to get a picture of the table. It's covered with my husband's computers at the moment. But the small scores also helped to keep the stain from running.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Nicely done. I've done some restoration on older furniture, but I'm forced to stick with the basic sanding, staining, and finishing since my artistic skills approach -0-. There's a real sense of accomplishment completing something like that and having it turn out so well.

Thanks for sharing.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

VERY nice work, BH. Love it.

...Motivates me to share some of my own stuff.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:10 AM
link   
reply to post by soficrow

Please do! I'd love to see your work!

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

Thanks for sharing that BH. Terrific work, I love the Kokopelli. I love all the images. I think we have similar artistic taste. Sorry, I know that must be a bit scary. Some pieces are great with just the character of the wood. I think you've wisely and thoroughly elevated this piece.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Hemisphere

I forgot. Although we might have similar vision and taste, I certainly don't have your talent. Thanks again!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join