It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

North Korea shop found selling human poo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   

North Korea shop found selling human poo

news.ninemsn.com.au

Shops selling human excrement began operating in North Korea this year, as acute shortages of fertiliser in the sanctions-wracked country put a price on faeces, an analyst said.

Aid groups have said human waste has long been used on domestic crops in the impoverished communist state, but there is now a trade in the readily available commodity, a North Korea analyst told a seminar at a South Korean university.

(visit the link for the full news article)

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Can I grow a vegetable garden over my septic tank?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Soyled greens anyone ?

Something stinks in North Korea ,
.. and it's not just the market place !
I hope we haven't sanctioned air freshener ,
they could probably use some ...

Obviously the Workplace , Health and Safety
regulations in NK need an overhaul !
... and these extras are free !
Salmonella
Campylobacter
EHEC
Hepatitis A virus
Rolavirus
Norovirus
Adenovirus
Cryptosporidium
Giardia
Ascaris

news.ninemsn.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Interesting. Assuming this is true ( Let's be honest... It's such a closed state that it is hard to confirm such things.) then I would venture to guess that the only reason they have been forced to sell human poop as fertilizer is due to the fact that they are so closed, sanctions against them and so many other things.

The economy for the average person there I imagine is not so good... Plus it's not like they can go up to home depot and by a bag of chemical fertilizer. They have to make do with what they have... and that is what they have.

I find it sad really....

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by radarloveguy

Where is the story.
They have been fertilizing with human waste forever, both north and south.

link   

People have been using poo from animals as fertilizer for a zillion years. People are animals. No biggie. Make due with what you've got, I suppose.

link   
Yea this is most likely true. I just read a great book about North Korea called, "Nothing to Envy". It was information about life in North Korea gathered from interviews done with defectors. From what they said in the book it was a requirement even 15 or so years ago for each family to surrender a bucket of human excrement to the government everyday to be used as fertilizer. So it makes sense now with the government loosing it's grip, people would be selling it.

After reading that book that I reference, I think a war with would be the best thing that ever happened to almost anyone in North Korea. A large portion of the country is starving to death and over half the population is malnourished. I have recently taken everyday to checking on the status of whats going on in that part of the world. I know if my country was soo bad off that I had to sell my poop, I would want a more fortunate country to help.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Well they say you are what you eat

Korea is a humid semi tropical climate... have they never heard of composting? All my yard scraps... leaves, grass, vegetable scraps, coffee grounds egg shells and fire pit ashes go into compost. With the heat here in Vegas it turns to rich soil in a matter of weeks

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:00 PM
link   
They could also have a very bad drug problem we don't know about. "Jenkem" abuse could be running rampant in poor ole North Korea.

If you don't know what "Jenkem or Butt Hash" is you may want to educate yourself further.
Unfortunately the only way you can tell if someone is using is by smelling their breath.

Jenkem

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
I served in South Korea from 77-80. One of the first briefings we got was not to buy vegatables from the local because they were fertilized with human poo. I also used to see the dog meat they used to sell in the open markets. I knew it was dog because they had fresh dog heads on displayed. There was even a guy who used to drive past our compound looking for strays to sell.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:51 PM
link   
Once when I was between jobs a temp agency sent me to a factory that turned human waste into fertilizer pellets. Every once in a while the big drums would catch fire and they'd send us in to clean it.

It was a fascinating job in a way -- only did it once and lived to tell about it.

By the way, this is Canada!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by zorgon
Well they say you are what you eat

Korea is a humid semi tropical climate... have they never heard of composting? All my yard scraps... leaves, grass, vegetable scraps, coffee grounds egg shells and fire pit ashes go into compost. With the heat here in Vegas it turns to rich soil in a matter of weeks

off topic. Yes, it is what it is regarding your question about what i mentioned regarding Eisenhower comment. Obviously i needed time to reference and cross reference your electronic data, so no, you do not pose any threat, that is unless you decide to go where one should not.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:12 PM
link   

How about posting the link with Israel human experimentation and the DNA approved and implemented attack.Oh wait, everyone was fed the line regarding weapons that are not approved by the U.N. upon civilians. Now that would gain momentum. Then again what do i know.

F.I.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:14 PM
link   
I think we have no way of knowing if this is true or not, with that said we should remember when countries are tense in the wake of war propoganda is abound. In order for diplomats to win citizens over to their side they must make it look as if the enemy's citizens are not as we are. Look for more downgrading on the NK citizens in the coming days and weeks - beware of what T PTB tell us about the impoverished people living in NK. Don't forget Propaganda is a war of words. Peace to the NK citizens - damn if I will let the US, SK etc. trick me in to thinking they are not human beings without value to their lives.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by TheLieWeLive
They could also have a very bad drug problem we don't know about. "Jenkem" abuse could be running rampant in poor ole North Korea.

If you don't know what "Jenkem or Butt Hash" is you may want to educate yourself further.
Unfortunately the only way you can tell if someone is using is by smelling their breath.

Jenkem

Oh don't do that! - Jenkem was a joke, funny as hell, but please.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:13 PM
link   

United States Selling Human Poo For Fertilizer

Should I start a new thread for this?

You non-farmer city boys aren't smart enough to know about MILORGANITE, the Poo of America?

Never heard of organic agriculture, or NASA closed-cycle biosystems?

No story here. Milwaukee residents USA already sell their own poo for fertilizer.

Undoubtedly, you've already ate some in the final form of tomato, strawberry, or Big Mac Pickle

Sorry, got carried away

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:56 PM
link   
reply to post by paraclete1

Yeah well we had a family move into my old neighborhood I grew up in and the old guy would just squat in his yard. The older neighborhood busybody ladies called the cops on him. His solution? He put up a 5 foot chain linked fence with burlap around his yard for privacy and turned it into a vegetable garden.

To each his own

He was not Korean just old school Chinese

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by SLAYER69
reply to post by paraclete1

Yeah well we had a family move into my old neighborhood I grew up in and the old guy would just squat in his yard. The older neighborhood busybody ladies called the cops on him. His solution? He put up a 5 foot chain linked fence with burlap around his yard for privacy and turned it into a vegetable garden.

To each his own

He was not Korean just old school Chinese

I guess the M18 Claymore would have been overkill

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   

Shops selling human excrement began operating in North Korea this year

There are shops in North Korea?

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:16 AM
link   
North Korean exports:

1. Missile technology to Iran and Pakistan.

2. Poo for the rest!

The export surplus of poo is sold to in their shops to the people just in case the 'dear leader' runs out of crap in his speeches!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Human waste for fertilizer has been used all over.

Imperial China was so bad in the early 20th century that farmers were forced by landlords to use their own waste as fertilizer.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join