It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police fatalities jump 37 percent in 2010

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkey_descendant
I imagine poverty is causing a rise in crime and police fatalities.

Poverty is what creates most issues in a society, such as social unrest. As long as the 'haves' keep their foot on the throats of the 'have-nots' violence will increase.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:09 PM
link   
its always nice to know that crime is up and the officer count is down ,,..

no seriously , i think they need better training before becoming officers or we need more restrictions on current gun laws ...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
its always nice to know that crime is up and the officer count is down ,,..

no seriously , i think they need better training before becoming officers or we need more restrictions on current gun laws ...

I agree cops need more training, so they can diffuse situations without their firearm.

As for gun restrictions....whats that phrase...."from my cold, dead hand". When guns are criminalized, only criminals have guns(and yes, I would count cops in on that too, if the average citizen couldnt carry).

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by monkey_descendant
I imagine poverty is causing a rise in crime and police fatalities.

My thoughts and experience exactly. The number of property crime / theft calls are way up. To me its coming down to a nasty economy that is barely showing any signs of improving, and people literally hitting rock bottom and loosing any type of government assistance because of no money. Some of the people have the mindset that there is nothing left to loose. Either survive in the world be theft and what not, or commit a crime bad enough that places a person into the situation of going to prison for life, where they have shelter, food, etc.

Its sad it comes to this. on all sides of this equation.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:16 PM
link   
I am not a cop but I have worked in security. For me, as long as I did not have to call an Ambulance it was a good night, not all take this approach and it can be a fearful job at times. As for all this growing anger it is due to the corruption and mismanagement in wall street and other big business centres. Inflation is going up but wages remain the same for most of the middle and lower class. People now having to decide if they should buy some food or some medicine while the people who are creating this imbalance still drive around in there flash cars and have their private security. At the moment individuals are lashing back as they have slowly run out of options. If the current course remains, soon it will be whole communities that are unable to meet the most basic of needs. The Earth will find a sustainable answer one way or another.

edit on 28-12-2010 by kwakakev because: remover 'and'

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:58 PM
link   
The only good pig is a dead pig. The real enemy is the thugs working for the state. Anyone who kills one of these terrorists should get a medal.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Happyfeet

The only good police-hater who is happy about a police officer dying is one that gets hooked up.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by kwakakev

Yeah I'm not a cop either. I'm a security-officer. But I work with off-duty cops who do the same job. And even the owner of the security-firm I work for is a cop.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 04:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

Marked
thanks for posting. May not be a cop but at least you work with them so it did add another perspective.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 05:36 AM
link   
Its a difficult and muddy affair these days, the relationship between the police and the people. You see similar here in Britain. Just recently a gentleman who had a ducked a court date I believe, was stopped by police at a bus stop having been accused of lacking a ticket for his journey . Rather than go quietly, the thug pulled a knife and set about the officers with it injuring two of them very seriously.
On the other hand, protesters who have an unbreachable right to demonstrate peacefully, were herded , stopped, and then provoked to action by legions of riot police in London over the last few months. A harmless cerebral palsy sufferer was pulled from his chair by the police, who had claimed despite the physical impossibility of it, that the man had thrown things at them. His condition prevents the gentleman from doing any such thing of course. At another demonstration, a young man described by those who know him as a "gentle and caring person" was beaten about the head with a police truncheon to the point where he had to be treated for bleeding on the brain, and was lucky to retain his faculties after the event. He is still recovering from his injuries almost a month later, and the full extent of the damage will not be known for some time to come, as this type of damage can cause problems later on.
Essentialy the role of the police force in both the US and the UK is the same. The police are supposed to uphold the law, and protect the public from villainy by patroling the streets, arresting criminals, investigating crime, and putting in place measures designed to deter criminal activity . However, all it takes is bad apples, and the barrel can appear rotten, and peoples opinions of its contents diminish as a result.
People see what they believe to be the crimminal activities of the rich and the famous get swept under the carpet, and see the minor infractions which facilitate thier day to day lives recieve punishment they believe to be unjustly uncompromising. Further more, the victims of crimes unsolved feel like they are left behind, and should they turn to crime themselves see thier actions as justified in the face of the lack of results that the law and its officers have attained.
I wouldnt want to be a police officer in either the UK or the US right now. Regardless of the truth of the matter, the police are seen as a tool of corrupted officialdom, bent on the segregation of the poor, and the protection of the wealthy and scheming villans who hide behind thier dollars and pounds, and expensive lawyers.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:40 AM
link   
reply to post by RedGolem

I hardly think a rent-a-cop is hardly another perspective. A wanna be in uniform is hardly a reliable source.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Where
I think he is another perspective not just because he works security, but because he also works with the cops. However it is not not best perspective. We do still need a cop to chime in on this subject for the best perspective.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:51 AM
link   

My,my, you paint with a very broad brush.
Seeashrink

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:54 AM
link   

I agree some mall security guard who gets his kicks from frisking teenage girls .....or boys......is not a cop no matter how bad he wants to be. But he is a good example of.......the cops are never wrong............mindset

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
This is good.

More dead cops equates to more freedom for the people.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigTimeCheater
This is good.

More dead cops equates to more freedom for the people.

Wow, as distasteful as this and some other comments are, sadly I have to agree. I wish everyone would remember though, AS LONG AS FRUITLESS LAWS EXIST there will be no freedom. That includes trivial, frivolous laws and ALL DRUG LAWS.

In regards to why more cops and federal agents are being killed, I can only assume it is because gun laws are useless against discouraging actual criminals and real crime.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:31 AM
link   
reply to post by SmokeandShadow

Gun laws in general only provoke more rebellion.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 10:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Marked One

I hear you rentacops and moonlighting cops enjoy a bit of organised stalking and political harassment for pay.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:14 PM
link   

I actually lived in Ozark when that poor kid was tazed. The entire town was outraged, and yet the story pretty much got buried after a few days, it was never reported why the cops felt the need to taze him at all, much less so many times, and, as far as I know, nothing happened to the offending officers. Sad.

On the other hand, MOST of the police there, both city cops and sheriff's deputies, are decent people. Stop and see if you need help when your car's broken down rather than assuming you're a criminal up to no good, give you a warning rather than a ticket for minor traffic offenses, etc. As so many other people have said, the bad cops are a tiny, tiny, minority, but it only takes one truly awful act to negate 10,000 good deeds.

The truly terrible thing, in my opinion, is that the bad cops seldom face any consequences for their misdeeds. If the outlaws were removed immediately when they do something horrible, the officers who truly do their jobs well would have a much easier time of it, there would be far less (not unjustified, at present) fear of the police, and the whole system would start getting back on the track of "serve and protect".

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:10 PM
link   

Ok.

reply to post by RedGolem

I'm so sorry Red. This is NOT your thread anymore. It belongs to whereweheaded. So whatever you say from here on out doesn't mean jack.

reply to post by seeashrink

Yeah and two can play at that game. I'm going to do the same thing. All cops are bad. And also all gun owners are psycho rednecks who eventually wanna take an AR15 into a McDonalds and blow away all the customers. And while we're at it lets say that all tea-party people are rednecks with racist agendas who just hate the president because he's black.

(Btw: I'm a gun owner AND a tea-party member. FYI)

reply to post by lastrebel

I don't work at shopping malls. And I never said 'cops are never wrong'. You put words in my mouth? I'm going to do the same to you. Get your head out of wherever it's buried and get your facts straight.

reply to post by BigTimeCheater

Why don't you go fly a private plane and crash it into a police station? See how that works for you.

Originally posted by SmokeandShadow

That includes trivial, frivolous laws and ALL DRUG LAWS.

I'll agree that there's a lot of those out there. However not all of them are heavily enforced. Text-messaging while driving is not heavily enforced. BECAUSE EVERYBODY DOES IT! EVEN COPS! Not me though. I had a coworker who is a police officer tell me I blew my money away over a Jawbone blue-tooth that has voice-activated dialing and text-messaging and that to do like everyone else and just text while driving. I told her I'd rather blow my money away instead of using that same money to pay for a ticket. She laughed and said that I'm not going to get a ticket because the laws against text-messaging while driving is not heavily enforced unless you're texting while driving through a school-zone.

As for drug laws. I agree with legalization of marijuana. As for coc aine, heroine, methamphetamine. THOSE NEED TO STAY ILLEGAL!

reply to post by Ilovecatbinlady

Yeah. It's got it's fun moments. Why? Are you looking for a job? Sorry can't help you with that. We don't hire pelados. (For those of you who don't understand Spanish. Pelado means somebody who is ghetto-trash.)

edit on 12/29/10 by Marked One because: fixing spelling

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join