It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Feds want Michigan records in medical-marijuana probe

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
I voted in support of the medical-marijuana law in Michigan two years ago and was pretty happy when it passed, however, at that time I suspected it was a ploy to round up pot heads and dope dealers. Register to use or grow medical Mary Jane and the Feds would have a ready made list of suspects for rounding up. Well, looks like the Feds are playing their hand now.

Here's a link to an AP story I heard on the local news broadcast the other day.

www.mlive.com...

"Federal agents want Michigan to turn over medical marijuana records as part of an investigation in the Lansing area, a sign that voter approval won't stop federal authorities from enforcing their drug laws."

So much for our state's sovereignty and the voice of the people. I'd have to say in this case that I saw this coming a few miles away.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
reply to post by MichiganSwampBuck

"Feds" can't enforce anything unless your state caves in to pressure to assist them. DEA or FBI agents work with local authorities, they don't have the manpower to do anything on their own. They especially do not have the manpower to resist local authorities hindering their ability to enforce anything.

Money talks! There will be some type of funding or legislation that is in jeopardy if they don't comply, and then the state will cave, and it will be your own lawmakers and law enforcers that do the rounding up.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
I agree with the pressure the Feds could put to the state government, but I was thinking that perhaps the medical marijuana agenda might have been a plot from the beginning. One to put people off guard and openly participate in a federally illegal activity to the point of making it easy to round up all the dopers. Maybe even to take down the states' resistance to federal authority in the process.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:48 PM
link   
reply to post by getreadyalready

"Feds" can't enforce anything unless your state caves in to pressure to assist them. .... Money talks! There will be some type of funding or legislation that is in jeopardy if they don't comply, and then the state will cave, and it will be your own lawmakers and law enforcers that do the rounding up.

This is one of the best methods of taking back our country: First make the state independent of the Wall Street Bankers!

Amanda Paulson, writing in The Christian Science Monitor, quotes Arturo Pérez, fiscal analyst with the National Conference of State Legislatures, which released its survey of state budget situations in December:

“Unless you’re North Dakota, you’re probably a state that has had some degree of difficulty or crisis involving finances. It’s the worst situation states have faced in decades, perhaps going as far back as the Great Depression in some states.”

“Unless you’re North Dakota” – a state with a sizeable budget surplus, and the only state that is adding jobs when other states are losing them. A poll reported on February 13 ranked that weather-challenged state first in the country for citizen satisfaction with their standard of living. North Dakota’s affluence has been attributed to oil, but other states with oil are in deep financial trouble. The big drop in oil and natural gas prices propelled Oklahoma into a budget gap that is 18.5% of its general-fund budget. California is also resource-rich, with a $2 trillion economy; yet it has a worse credit rating than Greece. So what is so special about North Dakota? The answer seems to be that it is the only state in the union that owns its own bank. It doesn’t have to rely on a recalcitrant Wall Street for credit. It makes its own....

www.webofdebt.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
The reasons for using medical marijuana is as much of a benefit, can also be considered under federal law, to be criminal in its nature.
The history of this plant is as long as human history, starting back in the early days of civilization, where it was used as means to make a fabric, and then later on, used to cultivate, along with being offered in different religious applications. It was considered sacred, by the Hindu’s and was considered as medication in that part of the world.
It was smoked and popular between 900 to 1000 ad among the Muslim world, as a means of recreation, that would be allowed to them, where so many other pass times were forbidden. It was brought to the new world by Christopher Columbus.
Even many of the founding fathers grew hemp as a crop, as the versatility was seen by many people, for not only clothing, but ingestion.
It was not until 1798, that the first laws banning it came onto the scene by Napoleon, as he saw that many of the Egyptians smoked such. Up until that time, it was still possible to acquire such in the US, without permit, and was often used as medicine in the medical fields. In 1906, the first set of banning/restricting uses starting to come out with the formation of the FDA. Racism had much to do with many of the laws that would ban and restrict the use and sale of this substance in the US.
It was not until 1913, that the outright prohibition of cannabis started in the US, starting of all places in California, and proceeded to go east.
Further to add on, where the first sets of convictions started in 1937/1938, continuing forward. The DEA was formed during 1972, during which time, there was a lot of propaganda against its use, growth and distribution of such.
It was not until the 1980’s that the first judge made the recommendation to reclassify marijuana as a prescription drug, made its rounds, stating there was a clear history of it being used as medicine, but his words went unheeded.
In 2003, Canada became the first country to legalize medical marijuana, and the US federal government became resistant to changing the laws. In 2009, the US supreme court refused to hear the case over the California Medical Marijuana Law.
The problem now comes out that many states, have these kinds of laws on the books, and any ruling or working of the Federal Government, if it gets no cooperation from the courts, would go ultimately to the Supreme Court. When it hit’s a Federal Appeals court, all states in that District would fall under that ruling. We can not state what is and is not legal or can be used, however, it does bear to watch out for the different ramifications that will come out. The choice of state, and if the Federal government can win such, will have a direct bearing on the rest of the country at large and the laws they have on the books.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I know hundreds of Medical Weed users here in michigan. And a good 90% of them are of vets from our US millitary. Let the feds come! A war will start.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 06:38 AM
link   
After giving it some more thought, I'm not so glad that this law actually passed, it could lead to the opposite of eventual legalization. Perhaps it should have stayed underground, I'm sure people with medical needs would fill the prescription without legalization. A black market is a truly free market because no one openly sees it or knows where it's products come from, in this way it is protected from regulation.

new topics

top topics

join