It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Discuss America's Real Issues.

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:40 PM
link   
Yes war is an issue. It has been an issue since man was created, or evolved, whichever you believe. It's a terrible thing, but we as humans have to deal with it.

On the other hand, we are America. We have men and women losing their jobs, going on welfare, and them and their children are still starving. Beef is more than $9.00 a pound. That is ridiculous. We are sending billions of dollars overseas to feed starving children when we have children living on our streets starving. WHY? There is no excuse.

Gas. It reach a peak of nearly $3.00. We have taken over how many oil fields? Why is gas so expensive. If you can't afford the gas, you can't get to work, you can't make any money, you can't pay your bills, and you can't feed your family.

What happens when our men and women in uniform come home? If they ever come home that is. We have 100's of 1000's of soldiers over there who will need jobs when they get home. Where are the jobs for them? There aren't any. And don't try to tell me that 1,000,000 + jobs have been created this year, because I have seen more than 15 men, my husband included, that have been layed off and still have not found work. Their unemployment benefits have expired. What are they supposed to do?

America needs to stop playing police for the rest of the world and start taking care of it's own country.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Here's the real issue.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

I doubt when most of them get back from Iraq they are going to want new jobs, this isn't WW2, they aren't drafted, many are in for 2 decades.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:55 PM
link   
Well, most of the things you said might be true. However, you state that the men and women in the military won't have jobs. Not true. They could go career military (ie The military is their permanent job), then they will be employed. That can be their job.

And if there are no other jobs (which is not true. Get an education and the oppurotunities will arrive)

I'm just saying, though many of the things you say may be true. Those are not.

-wD

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by FreeMason
I doubt when most of them get back from Iraq they are going to want new jobs, this isn't WW2, they aren't drafted, many are in for 2 decades.

No that isn't true, my brother is stationed in Beyji, Iraq. He was supposed to come home January 12th of this year from his base in Bamberg, Germany. Him and many other soldiers reiceved letters that the President had issued a stop-loss on the military, and no soldiers were allowed to leave. He had his bags packed waiting for transit. He had 14 days left before he recieved his orders.

If that isn't "DRAFTING" I don't know what is. He certainly doesn't appear to be apart of the "volunteer army" anymore.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by WeBDeviL
And if there are no other jobs (which is not true. Get an education and the oppurotunities will arrive)
I'm just saying, though many of the things you say may be true. Those are not.

-wD

My husband has his bachelor's degree in Civil Engineering and Surveying Technology. He can't find work. He has been out of work for nearly a year now. He got layed of of his job the day after our daughter was born. He's educated he's hard working but no one is hiring. Show me this proof that there are jobs out there.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:12 AM
link   
Web Devil is only one of the many who are under the mistaken impression that either an education is available to all and so therefore all have the same chances at a great life or that an education itself gaurantees you a good paying job for life.

Just not so as real people like myself and deeprivergal can attest to.

Sure, there are tons of service "jobs" being created, but these are only low paying jobs and if you are completely bogged down and worked to death in one of these slow deaths, then chances are you haven't the energy, much less the fight to try to hunt down the funds (much less afford them) to go to college to "better yourself".

Why is it that so many want to blame the poor rather then taking a REAL good hard long look at WHY they remain poor. And please don't give me that "they want to be poor" bull# either. WHO doesn't desire a better life for his/her family ?

Sure grants and loans are available. But these are limited. I myself would be SOL if I even tried to apply for either of these because my mother has claimed me on her taxes for the last several years, because the minimum wage work that I am stuck in hasn't been enough for me to support me or my children. No chances at higher education here I'm afraid. Not unless I save every penny I earn which I can't do obviously because there are bills to pay and mouths to feed.

A vicious circle for myself and a good many others is the plain truth of the way it is. We WANT better but we are TRAPPED. I hope those of you who fall back on that old "education is the key to a better life" are hearing this.

What's needed is easier access to a better education and hence jobs, for ALL.

I'm not even going to go into how I am positive all this is purposely designed to keep people hungry and struggling and just where they are in their nice little controllable boxes. That's another thread.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm
Sure grants and loans are available. But these are limited.

Ah yes, grants, and loans. You can't get the grants because you can't even find them! Sure you can pay 39.95 online to get a list of government grants, but when you get them they are so confusing that you give up, and throw the money you couldn't afford to spend, out the window.

Loans? With no job, and no income at all, what bank in their right minds would give us a loan? Not one.

We don't enjoy being down. We prefer it when we had jobs and we were scrapping change to feed our kids. We prefer not stressing over whether or not we can afford to buy them school clothes, or give them lunch money for school. This day and age, we can't even begin to fathom saving for our childrens college, because right now and right here is where we need to concentrate.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:58 AM
link   
Exactly.

I can't even begin to think of school clothes for my 14 year old right now. Clothes, in my opinion are right up there on the "out-of-the-stratosphere" scale (along with dental care) as far as cost goes and I don't seem to have a spare penny even though I kill myself working full time at the minimum #ing wage.

But oh, I forgot...forgive me repugnants please....I'm one of those "malcontent whiners".

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by KayEm(along with dental care)

Dental care? What's that?

The point of this post is that America has many more issues that we need to deal with other than this war. Why isn't our government doing something about it?????

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:22 AM
link   

A vicious circle for myself and a good many others is the plain truth of the way it is. We WANT better but we are TRAPPED.

i think being trapped for a lot of us is essential for our current system to continue. when people are trapped they are easier to control. thats just a thought.

capitalism has produced and will continue to produce this kind of economy:
2-5% of extremely wealthy people who control directly or indirectly 80% of all earth ressources and money
10-15% somehow wealthy people
20% of hard working fellow with good pay rates
40% of common people with their everyday high and low with average income
10-20% of struggling people with uncertain future, poor income
10% of extremely poor, no income.

is this satisfying?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by deeprivergal

Dental care? What's that?

The point of this post is that America has many more issues that we need to deal with other than this war. Why isn't our government doing something about it?????

Hey...I'm in totall agreement with you Rivergal !!!

I know why nothing is being done about our home issues though. It's because there is no money in them.

They never cared before the war and they don't care NOW. The poor aren't high on the priority because the poor are EXACTLY where the gov'ment want them to be. And stay. Keeps more pieces of the pie for people like Bill Gates and Sam Walton.

I for sure don't think we should be spending money to build new hospitals and whatever in other countries when our own people can't even affored medical care.

I hear you completely. I used Dental care as an example. But I myself, nor my children have had dental care in YEARS. I'm hoping and wishing with all my heart that our teeth continue to be healthy otherwise, quite frankly, we are SCREWED. So far we're lucky. But teeth are a pain in the ass so you never know what tomorrow will bring.

What I find interesting and disturbing is that they say that with preventive care you can avoid serious dental problems. But who (without insurance) can afford the freaking preventive care ?????

The same with medical care. The rich save because they can afford it. The poor on the other hand go into debt becuase they CAN'T and end up with bad credit becuase of the astronomic cost of emergency room treatment.

THESE are the issues we need to be addressing at HOME.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:30 AM
link   

What I find interesting and disturbing is that they say that with preventive care you can avoid serious dental problems. But who (without insurance) can afford the freaking preventive care ?????

Now you got me curious, just how much does it cost to just, lets say to take a check up on your teeth?

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:37 AM
link   
I'd say, including the dental hygienists time, roughly about 200 dollars. Every three months.

And that's a kind estimate. My mother had her teeth cleaned and just for that it was 500 dollars.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 01:42 AM
link   
Ehm... i just had my teeth check last year. Has to visit 3 times since i had hole which needed driling. The whole thing costed like 34 euros.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:07 AM
link   
Hmm... don't shoot the messenger, but how about this as a solution? (FreeMason's delightful What good is NASA anyways? Put that 15 billion a year towards the poor you BUMS! post)

We spend about 400 billion dollars annualy (more than our defense budget) on helping the poor, the needy, and all that other filth...

It just gets better from there. Clearly this should silence all the whiners.

[edit on 7-7-2004 by HeirToBokassa]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:11 AM
link   
Have you checked into Aid for Dependent Children? At one point, I know they had a policy that paid the rent on a home sufficient to sustain the life of a mother and however many children she had. One bedroom for each child, depending on ages and gender. Also the WIC program? Is it still active? Could assist in the cost of groceries. Depending on where you live, each state has different policies about helping impoverished people with foodstuffs, like canned goods, powered milk, and other staples that can assist in lowering your grocery bill for at least a few months out of the year. Once you move out into your own home under the AFDC, you would qualify for an educational grant and perhaps even free daycare until you could get on your feet financially. Just looking for possibilities.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:03 AM
link   
Here is an idea that no one has mentioned yet, that may help. How about a public servants union, a IT union, a cash handlers union, and oddly enough an auto mechanics union. Many unions only exist for the brick and mortar world, but sadly a lot of modern jobs are left willy-nilly with nothing to watch our backs with the jobs we have, save for electricians. The difficulty of this I realize is that we would need to find philanthopists who has been down those roads to sponsor them. I know of only one so far, but more will be needed. Perhaps this post may wake someone up who has that kind of power, who knows? If the gov't and the corps can't (or won't) help us, then perhaps it is up to us. I do what I can in this way by teaching other peeps how to patch up computers and how to troubleshoot problems for free. In return they go and get certified, I help them find vouchers to lower the cost of the exam, and when I can afford it, split the cost until they can earn their own cash and pay me back. I simply ask that every man (and woman) that has a trade and the patience to pass on their craft to someone else who is in need of work to do so. just my 2.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:13 AM
link   
[I hate lag]sorry 4 double post[/I hate lag]

[edit on 7-7-2004 by Crysstaafur]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
heh nevermind

[edit on 7-7-2004 by TheSwordMaster]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 03:15 AM
link   
deeprivergal,

In what region of the country do you reside (roughly)?
Are you willing to re-locate?
My area, and others nearby are BOOMING.

Housing, Highways, Major street projects.

You can't hire a contractor, unless you are willing to wait months
to get something done..

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join