It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Almost Everything Is A Crime In America Now: 14 Of The Most Ridiculous Things That Americans Are Bei

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Doesn’t it seem like almost everything is becoming a crime in America now? Americans are being arrested and charged with crimes for doing things like leaving dog poop on the ground, opening up Christmas presents early, not recycling properly, farting in class and having brown lawns

But is it healthy for our society for the police to be involved in such silly things? Every single day the United States inches closer to becoming a totalitarian society.

While there are some that would welcome this shift, the truth is that throughout history the societies that have experienced the greatest economic prosperity have all had at least a certain level of freedom. Business thrives when people feel free to live and work. When a government tightens the grip too much many people just start shutting down. Just look at places like North Korea. Even though the rest of the world is sending them huge amounts of food starvation is still quite common in that totalitarian regime.

That is why it is so disturbing that it seems like almost everything has become a crime in America now. As we continue to criminalize relatively normal behavior our slide toward becoming a totalitarian state will only accelerate. We are throwing anyone and everyone in prison these days. It is getting absolutely ridiculous. Today, the United States leads the world in the number of prisoners and in the percentage of the population in prison. The United States has 5% of the world’s population, but approximately 25% of the world’s incarcerated population. According to the U.S. Bureau of Justice Statistics, as of the end of 2009 a total of 7,225,800 people were either on probation, in prison or on parole in America. That is a sign of a very, very sick society. Either we have a massive crime problem or the “control grid” that our leaders have erected for us is wildly out of control.

source: www.infowars.com...

It is so true. One can't discipline their child, showing them they right and wrong ways of things, without the CPS being called on you for teaching your child(s), the ways of life. At every turn, wouldn't it seem that we in the US aren't as free as we once thought we were?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:09 PM
link   
So many flaws.. so many.. I would argue them all but that would mean I subscribe to this post. So my one example: If someone in America is arrested for having a brown lawn it isn't because of the lawn. It may be they assaulted the person that attempted to fine them for the brown lawn; which if you decide to buy in a deeded community then you should follow the rules you agreed to. Being fined by a city is a whole other argument.

Second point comes at the end of the OP's post: 'InfoWars'.. enough said.

Edit to add: I do agree with the OP on his thoughts with child rearing. Neighbors used to help raise the 'community children', now they'll call on you if the kid has a runny nose.
edit on 28-12-2010 by Cassey222 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassey222

With your logic, we need to bow down to a muslim because my mowing the lawn offend's him. Or better yet, why don't I just hand my boys to CPS because they vandalized someones car, and I spanked their bottoms as punishment?
edit on 28-12-2010 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

Your argument makes no sense and shows your bigotry. Why would a Muslim be offended by you mowing your lawn?

ETA: The poster above you is right. The woman was arrested when she refused to give her name to the cops.
edit on 28-12-2010 by InvisibleAlbatross because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:30 PM
link   
Back in thwe day police used to use common sense in their dealings. All I see is a bunch of cowards who need tgo get a damn life and go catch some criminals. We should look at each of the state's clean up rates for crimes especially serious crimes. IMHO some of these things are just misdemeanors. Some cops need to get a life!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

No bigotry here.

Helmut Griese, 63, was found guilty of “ridiculing” their religious beliefs and fined nearly £700 by a court in Graz. Rather than face a protracted court case, with all its attendant legal costs, Mr Griese agreed to pay. The court heard how the Muslim family regarded Mr Griese as a “grumpy old man” whose open-air Alpine chanting was intended as a taunt aimed at their religion. The retiree was accused trying to “mock and imitate” the call of the Muezzin, who calls the faithful for prayer in mosques. They alleged that he always began his yodelling just as they knelt down to pray.

source: ammybruce.com/2010/12/austrian-man-fined-yodeling-offended-muslim-neighbor.html

Where is the crime in this scenario? Ridiculing is not a crime. So nice try though.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

You said he was arrested for mowing his lawn; that is not true. He started his yodeling just as they were beginning their prayers. He is a douche for sure, though I am not 100% that should be a crime. The law was intended to protect religious practices; that is a good thing. It means Christians will be protected too when some asshat tried to disrupt their worship.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Good ! You noticed already. A bit late but...

Anyway...

Europe is just as screwed up. Welcome to the club.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:26 PM
link   
People don't want the government telling them who they can and cannot have arrested and for what. As most here seem to agree, there is a standard of behavior expected in the leading free country of the world and if you cannot keep your lawn green you must pay the piper. Being free doesn't mean there is no cost. Everyone must toe the line. Prisons are not being built just to be kept empty. By God, this is America!
edit on 28-12-2010 by Erongaricuaro because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
reply to post by InvisibleAlbatross

What the hell mate.

Your telling me he cant Yodel in his own country, in his own backgarden, practising a native tradition because the muslim next door from the far east thinks hes taking the piss?

Wow if you cant see whats wrong with that then bloody hell, your as bad as the Muslim.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Why don't they just make every action illegal in the country and so be it!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Haydn_17

The Far East would be China, Japan, Korea. Muslims often come from the Middle East, but I was unable to determine if the men from the article were born in Switzerland or if they were immigrants.

And no, you cannot do something that disturbs someone else's freedoms. It would be unlawful to sing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of your lungs outside a mosque. Or any building for that matter. Since the man in question sang right when the Muslims began their prayers, more than once, it's pretty easy to see that he is simply trying to upset them. Ergo, he is a douche.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Erongaricuaro
People don't want the government telling them who they can and cannot have arrested and for what. As most here seem to agree, there is a standard of behavior expected in the leading free country of the world and if you cannot keep your lawn green you must pay the piper. Being free doesn't mean there is no cost. Everyone must toe the line. Prisons are not being built just to be kept empty. By God, this is America!

Holy Cow, I thought this was a joke at first, but I think you really mean it! Welcome to the machine......

Prisons are being built to make money. That's it. Arresting people for nothing allows them to charge money for it, get it? It's all about the money, nothing else. Money is your god. Somehow it costs fifty grand a year of taxpayer money per prisoner, but I don't think they're feeding them lobsters and caviar.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:53 PM
link   
You are right OP America is going against what it was founded on. Like marijuana if you wanna smoke it you should be able to smoke it.If you smoke it your not causing anyone else harm by doing it.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by InvisibleAlbatross
reply to post by Haydn_17

The Far East would be China, Japan, Korea. Muslims often come from the Middle East, but I was unable to determine if the men from the article were born in Switzerland or if they were immigrants.

And no, you cannot do something that disturbs someone else's freedoms. It would be unlawful to sing the Star Spangled Banner at the top of your lungs outside a mosque. Or any building for that matter. Since the man in question sang right when the Muslims began their prayers, more than once, it's pretty easy to see that he is simply trying to upset them. Ergo, he is a douche.

While this may be described as douchebaggery, they ARE in Switzerland, land of yodeling, not the land of squawking in Arabic five times a day. The guy was yodeling while cutting his lawn. Pretty much any time of day for lawncutting is probably going to be interfering with their prayers. Possibly their caterwauling five times a day was annoying HIM. Maybe he WAS doing it to annoy them back. Even so, cops should not be involved in something like this, and if they are called by the immigrants you would think, being Swiss themselves and partial to yodeling rather than praying to Mecca, they would kind of be on the yodeler's side if anything. Having even half a brain in their heads, which is unlikely, they should have told both of them to stop their childish complaining and play nice, not get the entire court system involved. And it is most definitely NOT unlawful to sing the Star Spangled Banner outside a mosque, or any building for that matter. If you want that to be illegal, then it should also be illegal to complain about it as well. Is that what you want? Where do you draw the line? Everyone who agrees with you is lawful, and everyone who doesn't is unlawful? In that case you can thank them when they come for you, because you are annoying someone else.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:36 PM
link   
Ahh moral pushing.

I had been waring about this years ago, and now others are seeing its effects.

This is all moral pushing.

Family: "We don't want to hear him making fun of us."
(Moral: People should not make fun of others)

It is just going to get worse, as long as we write laws for "feelings".

Morals, like beauty, are in the eyes of the beholder.

(To each their own, and leave me alone!)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Cassey222

I have to disagree with the last part of your post about community child rearing. It DOES NOT take a village to raise a child. It takes parents who love and care enough about that child to take an interest in it's welfare and upbringing.

I agree with the OP on Americans getting thrown in jail for unnecessary things. The reason this happens is because the Private Prison Industry and the Prison Guard Unions are lobbying heavily to lawmakers and influencing Judges and Prosecuters. To make money on the incarceration of another human is indecent and immoral.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by CaptChaos

Well, I see that, due to your own bigotry (squawking, caterwauling), it will be tough to discuss this objectively with you. Yes, Switzerland may be the "land of yodeling" which is why I used the example of belting out the Star Spangled Banner in the United States. It would be seen as unlawful if you chose to sing it very loudly just outside a mosque. That could very easily be seen as disturbing the peace or public mischief. Why would someone have to sing it at the exact spot?

And contrary to your comment, mowing one's lawn at any time of day would not interrupt their prayers. Alex Jones went the sensationalistic route and made this about mowing the lawn, when it was more about the douche only starting HIS squawking right when they started their prayers. Hard to believe it was a coincidence more than once.

ETA: I do agree that this should not have gone to the courts, but if the guy insisted on doing it at that moment over and over, I support them calling the cops.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
Duplicate post. Sorry

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by CaptChaos

Holy Cow, I thought this was a joke at first, but I think you really mean it! Welcome to the machine......

Prisons are being built to make money. That's it. Arresting people for nothing allows them to charge money for it, get it? It's all about the money, nothing else. Money is your god. Somehow it costs fifty grand a year of taxpayer money per prisoner, but I don't think they're feeding them lobsters and caviar.

You were right the first time. This was my second failed attempt at ironic humor today that fell flat. With this one I posted from a friend's house and had to rush it at the final moment and apparently forgot the irony. The other was more ironic but perhaps just not funny.

I left the US because of such reasons. Things here south of the border can get chaotic at times but that seems to be the price you have to pay for more personal freedom. Believe me, it is worth the price. I may never cross the border again if I can help it.

Sorry about the confusion and poor post of mine. I give you a star for telling me straight.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join