It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should Missionaries be allowed on Space/Time travels?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
Hi everybody: why does Christmas always seem like a time of negativity and depression as one ages?
It seems that adultery and domestic abuse issues are never as striking as they are currently.
I really can believe that there are dark forces infusing the psychic energy grid with negativity at this time.
I need a bit of escapism and speculation.
What can we do about it?

I wonder, if time travel was possible, should missionaries be allowed to go into the past and future?
Would they be recognized as missionaries from our time, or would they be burnt at the stake as heretics?
Would medieval Christians even recognize current Christianity?
I guess that example from my culture also stands for Islam and other faiths.

If evangelical Christians had been to the past, then would the Reformation and the Enlightenment have occurred?
Would we have a Western separation of Church and State?
Perhaps Luther time-traveled - there could be many dimensions, who knows?

And then, should evangelists be allowed on space missions when they will happen?
Should it be an atheistic venture?

PS.OH, and finally: This has bothered me a long time.
Why do vampires have no reflection, but they always have perfect hair?

edit on 28-12-2010 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:31 AM
link   
no they should not and that goes for ALL religions.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:41 AM
link   
If a missionary today were to time travel back to say, the middle ages, they would immediately be burned at the stake for witchery for their heretical views on the world...such as a spherical earth, or the world not being the center of the universe, etc.

If they went back to ancient roman times, they would be tossed into a lions pit for being weird and stupid

If they travelled to the future, chances are, they would be seen as quaint and slightly insane (depending on how far in the future they go).

Can you imagine going 10k years in the future with todays religion..it would be similar to a person of sumer time travelling to now talking about the ancient sky gods and whatnot..people would see it as relevant as someone discussing Thor or Zeus.

I tend to believe that our future (far future) is an agnostic one. All signs show that is the road we are on with more people dropping from structured religion daily to focus in on a more personal connection and less primitive views.

And only hollywood vampires have perfect hair..they have makeup crews to do it for them

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Atlantien

That wouldn't be representative of the humans race.
I agree, they shouldn't (at least not in any command capacity).
But on what grounds do I say this?
What if any alien race is shocked by our atheism?

I can perhaps argue that they fund their own anti-evolutionary "science".
As such they can go when they figure out how to build their own space-ship?
They like some kinds of science (like oil-drilling and weaponry), but not others, like evolution.
But that sounds like we are a strictly atheistic race as far as science goes.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

That wouldn't be representative of the humans race.
I agree, they shouldn't (at least not in any command capacity).
But on what grounds do I say this?
What if any alien race is shocked by our atheism?

I can perhaps argue that they fund their own anti-evolutionary "science".
As such they can go when they figure out how to build their own space-ship?
They like some kinds of science (like oil-drilling and weaponry), but not others, like evolution.
But that sounds like we are a strictly atheistic race as far as science goes.

sny hulle koppe af. Hope that got your attention ha ha ha.

we all know how organized religion has stuffed up this planet so why push our warped religions on someone/something else?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Absolutely not to either one. Time travel, if we could do it, would have to be heavily regulated and restricted to stop time paradoxes. Missionaries would likely create a time paradox. Either that or get themselves killed.

I would be slightly less wary about missionaries in space, but not by too much. In interactions with other, probably far more advanced, species, we would have to be extremely respectful of their culture and have the utmost tact. Missionaries tend to be amongst the most gung-ho and dedicated to their religions. I frequently admire their dedication, but I don't see them being the right people to send when high levels of multi-cultural acceptance and tolerance are needed.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
and whatever we do please or please do not send OPRAH.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:12 PM
link   

"Ja wat, ons hou maar liewer vir Oom Angus tuis" (Afrikaans: yes we better keep Angus Buchan home. Angus Buchan organizes huge men-only Evangelical gatherings in SA, with theological controversies).
Well, if we do send them along, then they should at least have a proper BA degree in theology, and not just the Rhema business plan.
Imagine they try and exorcise demons from a creature with 4 arms, or they forbid homosexuality where everybody has a willy and a "koek"!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:13 PM
link   
ha ha ha don't forget self proclaimed prophet Kobus Van Rensburg in that mix.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Or even worse, Donker (Kobus) Jonker - self-proclaimed "witch-finder General" and head of the now defunct occult unit.
He used to have pagans and Wiccans shaking in their fairy boots.
However, there has been some reconciliation, and the focus is now on very real muti murders.
Strangely, somebody phoned late night 702 Radio recently and claimed that Jonker was a high Satanic priest!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by halfoldman

Or even worse, Donker (Kobus) Jonker - self-proclaimed "witch-finder General" and head of the now defunct occult unit.
He used to have pagans and Wiccans shaking in their fairy boots.
However, there has been some reconciliation, and the focus is now on very real muti murders.
Strangely, somebody phoned late night 702 Radio recently and claimed that Jonker was a high Satanic priest!

you are kidding me, Jonker a Satanic Priest???

One think about him that put me off was an article many years ago in one of our local papers and it was supposed to be a picture of an alien or creature similar and they asked him to identify it and he said it was nothing as aliens don't exist. Well to me it shows he is narrow minded and therefore cannot be trusted when he talks about the occult. Just because he does not believe in aliens does not make them not real.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:30 PM
link   
reply to post by SaturnFX

they would be seen as quaint and slightly insane

HEY, I resemble that remark, nyuk nyuk nyuk

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Atlantien

Oh yea well God knows their wont be any religions of any sort amoung any of the other worlds out there.

edit on 28-12-2010 by Logarock because: sp

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Well, this is the danger of "spiritual warfare" missioning.
Since the devil disguises himself as an "angel of light", the very person making the accusations eventually becomes the biggest suspect.

Well, if missionaries come to space (considering their political power), they shouldn't bring any images.
Imagine we find a Pan-like gentle race with horns, hooves and wings.
They might turn not-so-gentle very quickly.

Showing them a corpse on a crucifix also seems rather disturbing.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
we on earth do not need religion if we know right from wrong.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Logarock

Originally posted by Atlantien

Oh yea well God knows their wont be any religions of any sort amoung any of the other worlds out there.

edit on 28-12-2010 by Logarock because: sp

yeah cause he knows we stuffed it up.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Perhaps Buddhism or forms of Hindu priests would be a better choice when facing possibly intelligent alien life?
At least ISKCON admits that there are many universes and higher and lower planets.

They are more tolerant, because life is more like a continuum from life to life, and not a race to heaven or hell.
On the other hand, the aliens might not be too happy when their children hatch and shave their ten heads, and drop out of "dark matter engineering school" to chant and sell books in the street.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:22 PM
link   
let the Dai Lai Lama go.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Yeah, the Dalai Lama would be a good choice.
I'm not sure whether the Chinese would encourage him to bugger off to another planet, or whether they would protest it (and nothing happens without their financial muscle anymore).
Maybe we should send a communist and a Buddhist? (We'd better have a smoker's corner.)
Sounds like we'd have bloody murder on the space-ship!

Perhaps, even if we had the technology (and I think theoretically we already might) we need the planet to become either totally equal, or totally discriminatory to decide who goes.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Oprah is actually a great choice!
Whatever her flaws, she maintains an aura of respect and a mix of knowledge and inquisitiveness that is totally appropriate.
Of course, her magical shrinking and expanding powers might appear strange (especially as she looks nothing like the image of a white male and female we blasted into space in the 1970s).
Nevertheless, Oprah is a great diplomat of entertainment.

PS. I've heard that a diplomat is somebody who tells you to go to hell, but makes you look forward to the trip!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join