It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

2010: The Year the Internet Went to War

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   

2010: The Year the Internet Went to War

www.wired.com

It was a year without parallel. Threat Level’s bread-and-butter themes of censorship, hacking, security, privacy, copyright and cyberwar were all represented in tug-of-war struggles with unprecedented outcomes.

Google defeated China’s censors, but caved to corporate censorship in the United States. The largest computer-crime case ever prosecuted ended in the nation’s longest prison term.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
2010 was alive and well for Internet activity in all forms with promises of far more to come. Could this force global governments to stem the flow of information, attacks or any form of online protest. I think they will certainly do their best to introduce legislation but the brighter minds, as usual, will prevail. Here is a short list of 2010 notable events:

- Wikileaks and massive online protest impacting major global e-commerce
- Google censoring in China
- Stuxnet worm that allegedly countered Iranian nuclear efforts
- Net neutrallity
- Albert Gonzalez, one of the biggest hacking scandals involving credit and debit cards
- Landmark copyright cases from all forms of entertainment
- Eroding online personal privacy rights and some gains too.

What will 2011 and beyond hold for the Internet ?

brill

www.wired.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
i believe the war will last a good while... atleast untill we have complete net neutrality.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:16 AM
link   
It has only begun and freedom within the net is going to be limited, well it all depends on one's field of view, but regardless of anyone's opinion, it has begun, therefore, buckle up and enjoy the ride.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   
Dear OP,your thread title should read :-"War Erupted in the Internet"
The war for freedom has begun and it will eventually spill out of the virtual world into the material.
Let us hope that it will not cause the innocent to die.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1Starman
Dear OP,your thread title should read :-"War Erupted in the Internet"
The war for freedom has begun and it will eventually spill out of the virtual world into the material.
Let us hope that it will not cause the innocent to die.

The thread title is correct in accordance with ATS rules. One could argue that perhaps the "Internet War" is WW3 but obviously in a different capacity. There are victims in this battle just like any other. What I find admirable is that fact that the little guys have the ability to inflict massive damage on so many levels (yes I realize some actions have impacted innocent bystanders as well, ie. small business/paypal for example).

The efforts such as Wikileaks will continue but may be forced to move more underground due to government interference or regulations. Openleaks appears to be a new frontier as well but will it be as effective. TPTB will not stand by idly and watch their control diminish, they will instead press much harder.

brill

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Ya I also think this "internet war" which has just begun has the potential to lead to certain unacceptable consequences for the majority.

top topics

join