It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would The World Be Safer Without Religion?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:48 AM
link   
reply to post by mamabeth

that is if you think that every murder is a pschotic act, but people murder for revenge or for other unknown reasons, soldiers kill for the wealth,freedom or growth of their nations and executioners kill people accused of crimes in the us and in third world countries so it is not such a simple thing answer imo.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Having given this very thing much thought, and having made a post on the division of man/womankind not long ago, It is easy for me to see what actually divides us all. Personally, I think religion, especially the book religions, were created just for that purpose, to divide and conquer, and to control and instill fear within us.
I have to hand it to Constantine, and the Holy Roman Church, for the Beast they created and set loose on man/womankind is not to be denied, it pervades and controls most of the world, in one way or another. Millions of people have died in the name of Allah and Jesus Christ, and many still do, even today. My wife has some friends who live in Africa, and when she told them she was a Wiccan, they informed her that in their country she would be put to death just for saying that.

I made another post here, that will go along with what I am about to say. Perhaps a quick read is in order?

I think, and this is my own theory here, based on what I know, and the human race as a whole has to have some kind of a control factor in place, or chaos would very quickly ensue. Police make only a small dent in violent crime, and some people are mentally sick and kill without conscious, or any remorse. Passion is another factor to consider a man who catches his wife with another man is apt to do anything, and in the courts this is called a "crime of passion."

Suppose a Force was put into place, with intelligent, flying robotic machines that were programmed to enforce the Law. No exceptions allowed, if a person kills another, he or she will be killed. I think after a short while the killing would stop.
You know, it's funny that even though we are Divine in nature, Gods and Goddesses all, in training to prepare for our breaking out, and yet we kill each other over trivial things like religion. It doesn't make sense, does it?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:01 PM
link   
The answer to your question is a resounding, "Yes."
But many folks will scream, "No!"
The "No" responses will be largely because most people cannot conceive of the remotest possibility that there is something better than religion. They have been trained that way, usually by their parents.

In truth, the very core of most religions today have been lost--if they every had it--in the ritial, superstition, and pomp that are lifeless, sacred totums in their structure of beliefs of something.....

The single answer is the attainment of meditative enlighenment, a joining with the universe, "cosmic consciousness," etc. It is a pureness of awareness that relates all things to one another. This higher state is achieved in many ways, granted some are embedded in religions and have attendent gods and deities, but they need not. It can be a completely unemcumbered "place" to be. The short pathway is via simple meditation alone, but most will instantly dismiss that possibility for themselves. It may not cost a penny, but it does require a person to take the time each day to get acquaintted themselves and join the "all that is...." --It sounds almost religious doesn't it?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:13 PM
link   
True freedom can only be found once all forms of religion and its practitioners are eliminated.

Religion is a cancer upon humanity.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I think the long and short answer is, no. When it's not money, it's politics. When it's not politics, it's race. When it's not race, it's religion. When it's not religion, it's something else. In this world, people will always find something to fight over, to disagree with. They will choose to react to certain things in diverse ways. It's human nature.

As to the question of whether murderers, rapists and thieves would commit crimes if they didn't have to worry about an afterlife - I'm sure I am not the only person who would reckon that there are many murderers, rapists and thieves who already do not concern themselves with such beliefs. Morality and religion can be, and are, very much separated.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:19 PM
link   
Doesn't matter in the long run.

People with religious beliefs breed. People without religious beliefs don't.

While this is really a scale, it really does boil down to this.

People without religious beliefs are replaced, or assimilated over time.

Religion has a selection advantage.

Atheists breed themselves out of the equation in the long run.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:20 PM
link   
www.youtube.com...

Sorry, I don't know how to imbed videos. But here is a great debate concerning just this question. It is between Christopher Hitchens and Tony Blair and took place in Toronto just over a month ago. Excellent and thought provoking.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:55 PM
link   
I believe that religion is indeed used today as something that is meant to control and support the corrupt. I don't think that was ever it's intended purpose. If you look at the most core teachings of any religion you will find they tell you basically to "be a good person".

I am not a religious person, but I can respect the fact that everyone needs something in the back of their head (morals, teachings, philosophies, beliefs, etc.) to occasionally help them make the decision they see as right but hard to make.

However, I don't think that a simple voice in the back of the head is going to stop someone from committing a 'crime'. I know that when I have been set on doing something that I knew was wrong the only thing that kept me from doing it was not a voice in the back of my head saying "You probably shouldn't do that..", it was the understanding of what effect of the outcome would have on those around me.

Religion is a bit off kilter now, but at it's basic, every religion is a teaching. They are all teaching you to think ahead. Think of how your actions effect those around you and how that effects the future. I will say it again, I am not religious, not even spiritual, but everyone needs some sort of teaching to help them think about how they effect those around them, so I believe that although I have seen all of the horrible things people of done in the name of religion I have seen a great many more that have done good in the same name. Every religion has it's "black sheep" so to speak, just like every country, every family, and every person has that side to them.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:02 PM
link   
Isn't this topic in the WRONG forum..? What's with all the religion topics in the Psychology and Metaphysics forum?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Good point NewAgeMan.

Also, kimar, I really like that video you posted. I'm just watching it now, but it seems like it is going to be an interesting next hour for me. I feel like this is one of the more all encompassing/hard hitting topics Munk has covered.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:05 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Not necessary, since religion is based on faith and having faith is something that is required many times in life, it becomes essential to believe in such things. There was a saying also - 'If God did not exist, it would be necessary to invent him.'
I believe that many people refrain from committing bad because of their religion or because of fear of God. If there wasn't any such thing (manifested in their minds), they would do anything brutal without thinking of the consequences.
I think what is more essential is to have tolerance for others and to place humanity before their religion or religious practices.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Well seeing as the depopulationists are atheists, I can't myself see how safer it would be, if religion
was to disappear overnight, can you?
edit on 28-12-2010 by Flighty because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:15 PM
link   
Frankly, the world would be safer without weapons or cars .
edit on 28-12-2010 by 547000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:39 PM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Lewman,

Religion is not a choice.....it's inevitability!!!

If we could wipe everybody's memory clean, destroy all records of previous religions and start all over again, eventually we would end up with another religion. It's the glue that binds a society not matured enough to hold on to it's own morals and values without the notion of a "supreme judge" or "master".

So i would not say the world would be better off without religion but I do hope that at some point we realize that it was just the means-to-an-end and that we, eventually, collectively mature enough to take responsibility for our own actions.....

Peace

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You see Faith isn't the problem.

Religion is the problem. The organization of religious people is just bad unfortunetly. Everytime people get together and attempt to live by a certain set of morals and beliefs, they are going to end up oppressing or abusing the rights of others.

Yes, if "religion" and by that I mean organized religion, not personal faith, were abolished, the world would be a far safer place. Let's face it, the bulk of our violence in this world is caused when a person or an organization intereprets a religious text the wrong way and decides to take matters into their own hands.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Starred your reply there tothetenthpower but don't you agree that a developing society is best served with some form of organized religion to steer the whole thing. It's like (in the spirit of the season) making children believe that Santa Claus will reward you if you are good all year long. It's a form of manipulation but with the intention to generate good behavior.

Peace

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:54 AM
link   

Personal beliefs will always exist,
and whether you like or hate eg. the Qur'an, Torah, new Testament,
they are NOT going to disappear; nor can we expect someone to change their skin colour because someone else doesn't want to accept it.

Without beliefs there would be no purpose.
Problem is : Power Vs Equality ( a political manifestation based on $ $ )
On the other hand religion if properly applied, without the
collusion of politics, recognizes no superior
power other than God thus eliminating 'classes etc. and promoting
equality among 'creations'.
The only solution is that politics needs to accept the reality of diverse
personal beliefs.
If there is to be peace, the governments must be responsible to make society tolerant

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 01:39 AM
link   
Religion is a mechanism of control. Be not religious. Be spiritual. Seek the answers to all of your questions from within. Know that you are one with the ONE. We are all ONE. Separation is an illusion.

Namaste

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 02:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by HUMBLEONE
Know that you are one with the ONE. We are all ONE.

The extent of it is that ^ only is your personal opinion
and it should stay that way.
Nothing personal, but . . .
'We' are NOT one, LOL !

Personally I do not equal myself with the higher power,
or do I expect to ever find answers to all of the universe's mystery's
within myself, LOL.

Fact is, you're entitled to have chosen your path, just as billions of
others who have otherwise researched, read, contemplated, experienced, in coming to their rightful conclusion and belief of their chosen religion.
If you can not accept this fact then it's you who lacks the tolerance
and obstructs peace.

Just keep in mind :
Don't regard yourself as a guardian of freedom unless you respect and preserve the rights of people you disagree with.

The only solution is that political institutions to accept the reality of diverse
personal beliefs.

edit on 29/12/10 by ToneDeaf because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by ToneDeaf

If you choose not to apply it to yourself than that is your choice. If you do not see now, you will eventually...but thats just my personal opinion.

PEACE

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join