It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Would The World Be Safer Without Religion?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I understand that some wars just have religion as a front but would it make some potential killers think twice if they new that their victim wouldnt go to heaven or have an after life etc... or would it make a potential killer, rapist or thief not worry so much about commiting sins/crimes as he would not have to worry about being punished in the after life?

all comments welcome on both sides.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:56 AM
link   
No, the world would be safer without Men who use religion as an excuse to wage war.

The day the world will be safer is when Mankind allows and embraces diversity.

When Mankind defends the right of others to be varied, to live and believe as they were born and raised to without having to pay the price to those in power who can't control 'us' until we all are 'one'.

What do you think this is all about? Because it has nothing NOTHING to do with who is right or wrong.

It has to do with the TPTB that want us all believing, living, and being the same, so they can control us like cattle.

Pure and simple.

You really think this is about Mohammad or Christ?

TPTB could give a *bleep* who we believe in, as long as it's all the same.
The same rules, the same beliefs, the same traditions, the SAME SAME SAME - that they can so easily control!

People - you want to FIGHT the NWO? TPTB?

REJOICE in your diversities!
FIGHT for your neighbors right to believe as they do - regardless if it's not the same as you!
LIVE and BREATH and SUBMERSE yourself in your CULTURE!

Please people, don't let anyone rob you or your children of your unique and priceless heritage in order to be ‘just like those Westerners in the movies.’

Well, you get the idea...

peace

edit on 28-12-2010 by silo13 because: typo

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Would The World Be Safer Without Religion?

Yes only spirituality

edit on 28-12-2010 by TribeOfManyColours because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:10 AM
link   
No it wouldn't because you STILL have politics. Politics is the same as religion in many ways. Obama = messiah, left vs right = denominations vs Catholicism, Congress = a lot of arguing that doesn't settle anything, people asking their pastors questions about god = the people asking their representative to stand up against the government, killing other people in the name of 'Democracy", instead of "Amen", chant "Freedom" etc. Religion, for the elite, is a tool. You get rid of it, they will find another tool. Anything can become a cult-like movement because everyone wants to belong and follow the largest tide.
Nowadays you have personality cults. No religion required.

Religion for many is hope in their crappy lives. Life is so harsh for some that an imaginary being is their best hope from going nuts and killing others or killing themselves. Of course, there are some who use religion to justify the killing of others but those people are psychologically damaged in some way.

Killers do not care whether you believe in god or not. "God" isn't going to make an appearance and save that person. Religion can stop people from becoming killers though and that's a benefit in my opinion.

The ultimate problem with humanity is control, greed, and the ego. Religion, Politics etc. are all fronts for these things.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by DevilJin
No it wouldn't because you STILL have politics. Politics is the same as religion in many ways. Obama = messiah, left vs right = denominations vs Catholicism, Congress = a lot of arguing that doesn't settle anything, people asking their pastors questions about god = the people asking their representative to stand up against the government, killing other people in the name of 'Democracy", instead of "Amen", chant "Freedom" etc. Religion, for the elite, is a tool. You get rid of it, they will find another tool. Anything can become a cult-like movement because everyone wants to belong and follow the largest tide.

Religion for many is hope in their crappy lives. Life is so harsh for some that an imaginary being is their best hope from going nuts and killing others or killing themselves. Of course, there are some who use religion to justify the killing of others but those people are psychologically damaged in some way.

Killers do not care whether you believe in god or not. "God" isn't going to make an appearance and save that person. Religion can stop people from becoming killers though and that's a benefit in my opinion.

The ultimate problem with humanity is control, greed, and the ego. Religion, Politics etc. are all fronts for these things.

IN GOD WE TRUST. Politics are an extension of religion see recent released Wikileaks

Politics based on spirituality is something everybody stands behind, choices being made for inner happiness, and simple human progress.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:16 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I'll tell you my opinion if you tell me yours first.

I feel like I am being invited into a trap.
It is like being handed a drink and the host isn't having one too.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:18 AM
link   
nope i don't think so...

i'm pretty sure we would find another reason to wage war for.

never underestimate human creativity when it comes to destroying itself.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

Nope the world would suffer as we slip into skepticism and later depression. As there are studies around that religions help human to cope with adversities better than atheists. Sorry I do not have the refences at my hand for this.

Corrupt people will find something else to pollute with their wickedness. This is why I want a complete separation between church and state.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

It is like being handed a drink and the host isn't having one too.
Beware the Kool-Aid!

I had that feeling too.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:22 AM
link   
After viewing the video of that cop shooting the woodcarver guy
in Seattle here on ATS.
That COP was a GODLESS man, and NO respect for life period.
That holy blood spilled on the sidewalk, will be their until the victim
receives his justice.
With all the school and mall killings, we need to bring American back under
the laws of God, on which it was founded.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by lewman
I understand that some wars just have religion as a front but would it make some potential killers think twice if they new that their victim wouldnt go to heaven or have an after life etc... or would it make a potential killer, rapist or thief not worry so much about commiting sins/crimes as he would not have to worry about being punished in the after life?

Let me answer this question with one of my own:

Would the world be any better, any happier and any safer if we created an authority that would outlaw religion and enforce that by restricting the rights of your fellow human beings to think and believe as they choose?

You may not always agree with the person standing next to you. But the moment you take away their rights to do anything at all, you have just taken your own as well.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by TribeOfManyColours

Originally posted by DevilJin

IN GOD WE TRUST. Politics are an extension of religion see recent released Wikileaks

Politics based on spirituality is something everybody stands behind, choices being made for inner happiness, and simple human progress.

Then get rid of the phrase "in god we trust". What god? What about the other thousands of gods that people believe?

"Politics based on spirituality" is ridiculous. Government is control. You promote politics based on spirituality, regardless of philosophy, the government will use it against you. Government should be strictly secular. Spirituality and politics should NEVER even be in the same sentence. Besides, spirituality is a new age term for religion.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
Cant believe that people want to put their fate outside of them selves

God speaks tru you, all the time. Listen to your hart.

GOD speaks to us all the time, however, we are unable to discern because our lives are too noisy most of the time.
Why are our lives so noisy?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

My suspicion is that few people who commit murder have thoughts of afterlife on their mind, one way or the other.

The only exception might be the jihadist with a thousand virgins on his mind.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

or would it make a potential killer, rapist or thief not worry so much about commiting sins/crimes

So, you worry that without the threat of eternal damnation people wont find it as risky to commit a crime? Why do people follow religion? Is it because they fear eternal damnation, or perhaps because they want eternal bliss? Let me point out that your "religious drive" shouldn't be hinged on either of those motives. You can't just act like a good person simply because you fear hell or desire heaven, you need to actually understand the importance of doing to others as you would like done to you, why it is care, love, sharing, honesty, and all those other things are of some value in relation to the meaning of life. If you can't understand the importance or you truly have to force yourself to to do these types of nice things, I recommend you re-evaluate what you think you see when you look into the mirror. My advice to religious people is, if you're going to live a religion, make sure you also question it and understand it thoroughly, don't just mindlessly go along with it because others are telling you it's the truth and if you don't believe you'll be suffering for eternity in the afterlife, and if you do believe the rewards are beyond your wildest imaginations. Do you really think a true religion would need to use such threats and temptations? Think about it.

My answer: Yes, I believe with the right mindset the world could operate and function much more efficiently, with less conflict and violence, but it wont happen for a very long time if it does ever happen. I don't think a murderer would be less likely to kill a person if they didn't have the fear of hell on their mind, most murders are psychopathic and have problems with their brain anyway. As for other criminals, I doubt a thief really ever fears Gods wrath, in Christianity it's said that all sins can be forgiven moments before death anyway, you don't technically have to be a good person most of your life, just realize where you went wrong and ask forgiveness even seconds before you die. I personally believe in a type of karma system where it's impossible to bring only sadness and reap from it reasonable or true happiness. You can't avoid sadness, nor happiness at times. What you put out will influence, in undeterministic but structured ways, what you get back later down the line. A world without religion will be possible only through inner truth and an understanding that all actions have a reaction, the way we all decide to treat each other determines our overall quality of life and the condition of the world we all have to live in, but it does not determine our eternal fate.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
reply to post by wayno

i will tell you that i am not religious but i do believe that many religious people are doing good in the name of religion, i also believe that people are doing bad in the name of religion but that they are probably bad people anyway and would do bad in the name of greed.

i am not trying to lay a trap, i could not answer the question i have asked myself and i am not about to start calling people names or whatever for being religious as although i am not religious i am also not anti religious.(although i do not agree with the way that religion has become a business in places i understand this is a different topic and therefore i wont try to debate this here.)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:58 AM
link   
reply to post by 19rn50

i do not agree with this statement about america being under the laws of god as there is more than one type of religion in america and you cant force beliefs on people.
also i am not talking about a world where it is illegal or whatever to be religious, i am talking about a world where one day everyone decides that they dont believe that any god exists

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

I said, America under the laws of God.
I said nothing about being any type of a religion.
These laws are easy to abide by., and would be a better place if people
obey-ed them. Doesn't matter what you believe in follow the simple
laws.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by lewman

If someone is going to murder someone else.
They are not going to concern themselves with
their victims' afterlife destination.
The world will never be safe until the Messiah
returns.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:39 AM
link   
reply to post by 19rn50

sorry for the misunderstanding, i am unsure to what this means as i do not think you should be punished for pre marital sex or for using a condom etc... many religions have different rules so i find this hard to grasp. i would also like to add that i was born and live in england so i dont have the greatest knowledge on the constitutions etc... and that when religion was involved with politics in the uk, many people where killed.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join