It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Thread NEEDS YOU!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:16 AM
link   
Came across this talk yesterday presented by Dr. Hugh Ross regarding the possibility of life elsewhere in the Cosmos. Myself cant imagine that we as a species are the only intelligent life in the Universe, the thought saddens me too much. So please help me to tackle the evidence presented in this video which I have to admit is a very strong opposition.

For those who dont want to watch the entire film here are some points which the Church is holding to

The Main Idea of the film is that for Life to have evolved here too many miracles had to occur making suck an event to happen again even in the vastness of the universe impossible and that behind all this there is the signature of the creator, also that the whole universe is the way it is so that we may exist so there is no part of the cosmos which is not serving its purpose, the purpose of life to exist here.

1. It takes a very special type of galaxy to harbor life, getting the right star, getting the right Jupiter, getting the right planet Earth, and getting the right Moon.

2. if the galaxy is too large it will generate too much large Black Hole for life to exists and if the galaxy is too small it will be crushed by other galaxies gravitational pull.

3. Also galaxies must be spiral and the estimate is that only 6% of the galaxies are spiral.

4. Galactic neighborhood is also very important, he stated that 99% of the galaxies are positioned too near each other and densely packed together that life cant exist.

5. Our Sun is a Heavy weight champion for the stars with the same age since it is richer in the elements needed for life to evolve, this was due our Sun's position during two different Supernovas, He states that our Sun benefited from a Type 1 and Type 2 supernova explosions, something very rare to happen again, to be in the exact location to benefit from both explosions.

6. Our Sun has a very special Z-Axis displacement which protect us from space radiation, whilst most of other stars has a roller coaster Z-Axis exposing them something to deadly radiation.

7. We are position half way between 2 Spiral Arms of our Galaxy and thus we are saved from deadly radiation.

8. We are not only living in the habitable zone of our solar system but also in the habitable zone of our galaxy.

9. Its very hard to find a planet like our with the right fine tuning of carbon and water, we have both in the right amount.

10. Our position in the solar system is so precise that 1/2 % more towards the sun or 1/2 % further away from the Sun and life couldnt have ever evolved here.

11. Planet Earth has an atmosphere just right, it is supposed to have a heavier one but some collision must have happened which weakened the atmosphere making it exactly the right size for life to sustain itself.

12. Also from that collision our Moon emerged making life possible on Planet Earth. Our Moon keeps Earth rotation stable.

13. Life is very difficult requiring various amount of genes etc which are very hard to assemble and find them together on a Planet.

I suggest you watch the video since it goes into further detail

I welcome than your comments on the above since a firm believer of Life anywhere in the Universe I must admit that I am a bit confused now.

Also one question I would ask is what will happen with the material on this planet and what have been cooked in our Sun once our Sun dies. Will life evolve somewhere else or is it the end of everything since the purpose of the whole cosmos is Planet Earth?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:47 AM
link   
ok - to address the " points " in order : ts :

1. different conditions will favour different evolutionary paths .

2. utter twaddle

3. cite the evidence that " galaxys must be spiral "

4. how near is " too near " ? given the vast differences involved - and the lack of interaction between most galaxies .

5. different conditions favour different evolutionary paths.

6. please cite the evidence for this

7. unknown -

8. repeating himself .

9. what is the " right amount " , and why does all life have to be carbon / water based ?

10. different conditions favour different evolutionary paths.
11. cite the evidence for this

12. venus has a stable rotation - with no moon .

13. winning the lottery is very difficult - but some one does it most draws .

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:17 AM
link   
some notes regarding Dr. Hugh Ross :

Hugh Norman Ross (born July 24, 1945) is a Canadian-born Old Earth creationist and Christian apologist. An astronomer and astrophysicist, he has established his own ministry called Reasons To Believe, that promotes forms of Old Earth creationism known as progressive creationism and day-age creationism

Ross was born in Montreal and raised in Vancouver, Canada. He earned a BSc in physics from the University of British Columbia and an MSc and PhD in astronomy from the University of Toronto; and he was a postdoctoral research fellow at Caltech, studying quasars and galaxies. Ross was the youngest person ever to serve as director of observations for Vancouver’s Royal Astronomical Society[

he was on the staff of Sierra Madre Congregational Church

Ross believes in progressive creationism, which posits that while the earth is billions of years old, life did not appear by natural forces alone but that a supernatural agent formed different lifeforms in incremental (progressive) stages, and day-age creationism which is an effort to reconcile a literal Genesis account of Creation with modern scientific theories on the age of the Universe, the Earth, life, and humans

Source

Also from the talk I recon his bad attitude towards Dr Sagan , who he stated was his classmate.

He also criticize NASA , SETI and other TAX Money funded organizations promoting search for life elsewhere in the Universe

WE NEED TO FIND EVIDENCE OF LIFE IN THE COSMOS!!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Life, either carbon based or silicon based will find a way to evolve. It is sheer arrogance to assume that we are alone.
The above post addressed the issues brought forth rather well.

Also, whos to say what life is. We view things through such a narrow lens that we tend to disregard anything outside our own ethnocetric idea of life.

My 2 cents

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:27 AM
link   
quote from first post
........................................................................................................................
The Main Idea of the film is that for Life to have evolved here too many miracles had to occur making suck an event to happen again even in the vastness of the universe impossible and that behind all this there is the signature of the creator, also that the whole universe is the way it is so that we may exist so there is no part of the cosmos which is not serving its purpose, the purpose of life to exist here.

............................................................................................................................

when observing this from a greater viewing point "universally"

Everything functions as one mass being .... (One mass consciousness)

The greater universal intelligence that creates all that is needed even before it is needed ...

Thought continuum ....infinite, boundless, intelligence..that functions with in it's own being
( the universal laws of all existence )

"It is the lack of something that necessitates it's existence."

If there is a "need" for aliens to manifest in this existence..(reality)

then so shall it be ....created ..( made real ) ...according to the cosmic universal rules of need.

edit on 28-12-2010 by xsheep because: tried to fix the quote

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:38 AM
link   
As the bard said in Hamlet.. There are more things in heaven and earth than your philosophy can imagine...
Its the height of human arrogance to think that there is no other life in the universe...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by heineken

Doesn't sound very scientific to me. The people involved are clearly very biased which is not a good starting point either. One of those situations where they have their beliefs in place - then they set out to 'prove' them some how.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:43 AM
link   
thank you all for your feedback..i'm starting to feel much better now

as TheFlash pointed out...the talk is biased and its clear that Dr Hugh is well trained to present talks

still its such a scary thought of being alone drifting in the cosmos

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:54 AM
link   
I agree with the thought that we may be the only life that has evolved this way. That does not mean we are the only life to have evolved.

The conditions may never again be right in another location for life to evolve in the way that we have, but then we haven't evolved like any other life form we know of either... considering we know of none alien.

The diversity of life evolution on Earth shows that life can come in many shapes and sizes in carbon form. Silicon is another way life could evolve. However, there may be many other ways for life to evolve that we just can't know from our current scientifically controlled experiments and public knowledge.

9. Its very hard to find a planet like our with the right fine tuning of carbon and water, we have both in the right amount

It is very hard, but not impossible...

new topics

top topics

join