It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
OP is obviously trolling here and trying to get flags and points.

Better thread:

What has the government done for you?
edit on 12/28/2010 by die_another_day because: (no reason given)

well if that was her intention she didn't get many.

A long time lurker or member would know this wouldn't get you any points on ATS.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:16 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoil

Originally posted by thirdeyeaware
Understandable that you may be angry.
But the church as a whole has done more harm then good.
Crusades?
Witch hunts?
Anti-gay views?
How bout the altar-boy molestations?
Personally i dislike them as much as any other religious group, due to the fact that they are basicly selling lies.
At best, its a well-funded cult that tricks people in believing their propaganda on how to act, what to think, what is moral and what is not. (ie. Believe in what I tell you, or BURN forever)

And really, depending on where you were born, your religious views whould be different. Can't argue with that.
edit on 27-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: Typo

edit on 27-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: added a few points

Is this the Catholic Church, and what they stand for? I dont think so, (try again) You are giving me isolated individual instances that are not the Catholic Church as a whole

OP,

Can you then define what exactly the Catholic church is to you?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

But what you don't understand, is during the " Roman " Catholic Church era, the priests didn't relate to any " god ". They were priests of riches and greed. This was also a time of chaos and confusion, with no one real denomination being tended too.

In the Early Middle Ages, after the invasion of Germanic peoples into the territories of the Roman Empire, there was a period of chaos. Barbarian kingdoms took the place of the Empire. Much ancient culture disappeared, and the Church preserved some of it.

The above quotation suggests that the " message " of the faith was lost, though many of those thoughts and views were attempted to be salvaged.

As the apostles of Jesus Christ spread the gospel, they provided the beginning structure for the early Christian Church. It is impossible to separate the initial stages of the Roman Catholic church from that of the early Christian church.

This above quote only solidifies one's argument that the apostles had already spread the word of the gospel of the new Christian ' church ", a church that the Catholic Church thought to be blasphemy.

After Jesus died, Simon Peter, one of Jesus' disciples, became a strong leader in the Jewish Christian movement. Later James, most likely Jesus' brother, took over leadership. These followers of Christ viewed themselves as a reform movement within Judaism yet they continued to follow many of the Jewish laws.

Pretty self explanatory there~

The Roman Empire legally recognized Pauline Christianity as a valid religion in 313 AD. Later in that century, in 380 AD, Roman Catholicism became the official religion of the Roman Empire. During the following 1000 years, Catholics were the only people recognized as Christians.

It would appear that that the Roman Empire were " acknowledged " as the official religion because of not only power and greed, but because of " status quo".

In 1054 AD, a formal split occurred between the Roman Catholic and Eastern Orthodox churches. This division remains in effect today. The next major division occurred in the 16th century with the Protestant Reformation. Those who remained faithful to Roman Catholicism believed that the central regulation of doctrine by church leaders was necessary to prevent confusion and division within the church and corruption of its beliefs.

These " divisions" were not only an attempt to be " free " from the perverse teachings of the Catholic Church, but also to remove association from the dealings, actions, and history of Catholicism.

So no, Catholicism was not the beginning of the Christian church, they only administered its teachings decades later. Your alleged " historical fact " is a ill informed, and delusional education implemented by the very church you defend.

edit on 28-12-2010 by Whereweheaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:27 AM
link   
reply to post by AllIsOne

Allisone,

I am not Catholic, but can I answer,

Being raised Christian and a devout one, when I was young, I didn't know about any of the church's past,

I am sixty now, and I spent most my life in church many different denominations, looking for truth,

I was never taught to hate anyone, church was always about love, loving one another, loving god, doing charitable works, I was never taught to hate anyone.

When I got older and had been researching religion and knew more I one time encountered a parishioner who started bashing Buddhist in this Lutheran church I attended, I was very offended and never went back,

We have to hope that the church continues to evolve and reform, if Christianity isn't doing any harm, we need to be more tolerant,

The old women sitting in the pews singing hymns didn't burn any witches.

They just bake cookies.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:37 AM
link   
Wow step outside an take a peek you ridiculous person. I could point out hundreds of reasons....buy why put the effort in, you didn't.

I have only posted this comment because there are so many of these crap threads getting posted its unbelievable. wtf is this post...
edit on 28-12-2010 by 1IN7MILLION because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2
The amount of contradictions in the Bible is astounding.

Yep. Turn a blind eye to the contradictions and impossibilities ... and then toss their own interpretations on top and assume that it's the one and only correct one. It's really all a mess.

Originally posted by Gorman91
Jesus says he established a church.

Matthew 16:18 ... you are Peter, the rock, and upon you I shall build my church and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it. Whatever you hold bound on earth will be bound in heaven; whatever you let loose on earth will be let loose in heaven. (paraphrased). In other words .. Peter is the first leader of the church and what he says goes and heaven will respect his pronouncements on matters.

Originally posted by Whereweheaded
Um?...You don't know your history very well do you? Jesus Christ did NOT start the Catholic church.

Um? ... actually, He did. He may not approve of what it has become, but he certainly did.

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake
Jesus Christ did not start the Catholic Church...that was started by Rome...hence the term ROMAN CATHOLIC...if Jesus started it, it would have been called what he started, which is Christianity.

The term catholic means 'universal'. It was the one universal christian church.
Again ... see Matthew 16:18. Check ACTS for a succession. Etc.

Originally posted by dominicus
Catholicism lacks psychology, philosophy, and many other branches that would make it much more complete

Um .. no it doesn't. You haven't read the catechism or the writings of the church fathers, or the writings of the mystic saints have you? If you are up for it ... St. John of the Cross, Bl Edith Stein, st. Teresa of Lisieux

less Dogmatic and less Molesting of Children.

1 - Dogma isn't a bad thing.
2 - The Catholic church isn't alone with having pedophiles use it as a hunting ground. The protestant churches and the public schools have major problems in this area. But it's in vogue to just point at the catholic church instead of facing the fact that pedophiles are everywhere. Children are more likely to be molested in the public school than in a Catholic or Protestant one.

Im a Christian and the Catholic Church sickens me.

1 - The Catholic faith is Christian.
2 - The bible came from the Catholic faith.
3 - The Catholic church sickens you .. or the Catholic faith? Please explain.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Missing Blue Sky

Ok, I am not denying this. I know that Jesus started the faith - not denying that. However, where does it say that He started Catholicism? The Romans clearly started it. Why else would it be called Roman Catholicism? It is their interpretation of the teachings of Jesus. Jesus started Christianity...not Roman Catholicism...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:47 AM
link   
Catholic church is most prob the biggest peodofile ring in the world! And they have tried to cover up the child abuse that is rampent in the church. But i have learn't that you can't change some religous peoples mind. They are completly brainwashed, to the point where they can't see the evil in front of them.

I remember when the pope said " gay people are a threat to human survival" what a load of rubbish! lol Considering our population has increased a great deal, even in the last 20 years. I can't stand the pope. He just looks like an evil little man with another agenda, but brainwahsed people will follow him, and block out any bad stuff they hear about him and the church.
edit on 28-12-2010 by Jay-morris because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Yes forgive me for not waiting around for a reason.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by MarshMallow_Snake
Why else would it be called Roman Catholicism?

From a very orthodox catholic site ...
EWTN Faith Teaching

The Creed which we recite on Sundays and holy days speaks of one, holy, catholic and apostolic Church. As everybody knows, however, the Church referred to in this Creed is more commonly called just the Catholic Church. It is not, by the way, properly called the Roman Catholic Church, but simply the Catholic Church.

The term Roman Catholic is not used by the Church herself; it is a relatively modern term, and one, moreover, that is confined largely to the English language. The English-speaking bishops at the First Vatican Council in 1870, in fact, conducted a vigorous and successful campaign to insure that the term Roman Catholic was nowhere included in any of the Council's official documents about the Church herself, and the term was not included.

Similarly, nowhere in the 16 documents of the Second Vatican Council will you find the term Roman Catholic. Pope Paul VI signed all the documents of the Second Vatican Council as "I, Paul. Bishop of the Catholic Church." Simply that -- Catholic Church. There are references to the Roman curia, the Roman missal, the Roman rite, etc., but when the adjective Roman is applied to the Church herself, it refers to the Diocese of Rome!

More history and info at the site.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by oliveoilIs this the Catholic Church, and what they stand for? I dont think so, (try again) You are giving me isolated individual instances that are not the Catholic Church as a whole

Actually, yes, this is what the Catholic Church stands for. The Catholic Church, AS A WHOLE, has support all of that, Olive Oil.

What, do you think SOME of the priests went behind the Pope's back during the bad times without him knowing?

The Church, AS A WHOLE, has done this.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:55 AM
link   
The catholic church also created militaries and killed countless people who didn't believe in Jesus christ and even the Mayan's. Look, this Jesus guy you speak of in my opinion, never even existed, not one historian from the mediterranean during his time wrote about him except one but he has been proven false and forged. Here's my question, why do Christian's get all but hurt when they cant convince people of they're religion? Why do muslims kill people like the catholics use to do if they dont believe in they're way? Religion kills my friend, I just stay spiritual and worrying about doing the right things for myself and others through out life.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Fact is people are not stupid BUT when they want to be stupid believing in a church , it will offend their spirit and cause harm to their soul .

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by Washed

If you want to know truth, seek it as gold. Chick.com has good info on Catholicism, it is a cult, and no, Jesus did not found that church, it is against him and the false prophet in Revelation will most likely be a Pope.

It is absolutely terrifying that anyone on ATS would believe that Jack Chick offers a reasonable perspective on almost anything and would recommend him to others.

Referencing Chick is almost a corollary to Godwins Law.

Eric

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Whereweheaded

The preists now offer the Paschal sacrifice in place of the Jewish preiests who can no longer offer sacrifice, because the temple is gone.

What you don't understand and what most Catholics and non catholic christians do not understand....is that the Catholic church is an extension of Judaism...after all Jesus is the Messiah for which Judaism was waiting.
The Eucharist, The Sacrifice of the Mass, is a holy sacrifice on the altar just as was performed by the High Priests in ancient Judaism. Instead of burnt offering we offer the one and only Holocaust for all time, Our Lord Jesus Christ in atonement for our sins, body and blood, soul and divinity....this is our daily bread. To understand Catholicism you have to understand Judaism they are one from the other.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:01 PM
link   

As someone who was raised Protestant in a very, very Roman Catholic neighborhood, I can attest to the manipulative, insidious behavior that the head "Father" would incite in his congregation. The fact that they Catholic private elementary school kids could get free bus transportation to their private school on the tax payer funded public school buses illustrated how much sway they had with our local town government. They brainwashed their congregation in believing that everyone was Catholic, we sinners just didn't know it yet. When my life-long friends would get married and their non-Catholic ushers, groomsmen and such would be in the church for the ceremony I remember that the head priest made us come up to be refused Communion because we were less then dirt in the Catholic Church's eyes. He also made a threatening statement that if anyone tried to take Communion who wasn't a member of the Catholic Church, "He would know and action would be taken". Huh? So instead of us non-Catholics being able to sit quietly they had to make a spectacle of us being invited us to be refused in front of the whole church and wedding attendees. I pretty much despise the Church, but forgive the people who make up the congregation.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Um? ... actually, He did. He may not approve of what it has become, but he certainly did.

As the apostles of Jesus Christ spread the gospel, they provided the beginning structure for the early Christian Church. It is impossible to separate the initial stages of the Roman Catholic church from that of the early Christian church.

Which would suggest a difference by comparison when the Christian " church " actually began, and the implementation of the Catholic Church's to Christianity. A huge difference between the two. Two different time periods, and two different religious ideologies.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:02 PM
link   
for the original poster of this thread

Jesus didn't establish anything that has to do with christianity btw....
don't fool yourself

he wasn't even christian, nor did he know anything about the "establishment" of any church

hahaha!!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

You are correct. The proper name is Catholic Church, Latin Rite.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join