It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:22 AM
link   
I would start with the corruption of the Christian faith. We are saved (and always have been) by grace alone by faith alone, by Christ alone. Adding one's "good" works to the salvation formula has sent untold millions to hell. Pagan practices such as praying to/for the dead, Mary/Queen of Heaven worship, veneration of idols, placing of tradition above scripture, the list goes on. Jesus is our ONLY redeemer/mediator as told by the Bible, not Mary.

How about the murders of untold numbers of Christians throughout the centuries? Persons such as William Tyndale was burned at the stake because he translated the Bible to English. Jan Hus was burned because he refused to stop preaching that we are saved by grace alone. They never stopped being the Roman empire that fed true Christians to lions, and burned them, they just changed their name and costumes.

As for everyone who is angry about the Crusades... schools have failed in the history dept. That was the ONLY thing the Cathilic church did right, howbeit it was a late response to the Muslims wiping out pretty much every church in North Africa and Asia Minor, and making it's way through Europe. You do realize all of Europe would be wearing pajamas and bowing toward Mecca, had not the Crusades been a success. (for anyone that doesn't know, the Crusades had nothing to do with evangelizing, it was a war period.)

To sum it up they are just a shady institution. They are the richest business on the entire planet, and have their hand in everything, that should scare you. They have miles of shelves of information, but it is all secret. Why all the secrecy?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:33 AM
link   
I see most bases have been covered already- paedophillia, the crusades, treating women as second class citizens, destroying our history in order to further their cause, the inquisition, links to the Nazis, archaic rules laid down by the pope, etc. Just to add, you keep saying Catholicism was founded by Jesus himself, of which you have no proof whatsoever, but, anyway- even if this were the case, do you really thing he would have wanted his organisation to become what it is today? Arguably the richest state in the form of the Vatican, whose leaders lead a blessed life, whilst so many of his followers suffer, I won't go into allegations of corruption, but just looking at it from a purely monterary perspective- do you think he would have wanted the leaders of his church to become so rich off the back of his teachings?
edit on 28-12-2010 by ScepticalBeliever because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:35 AM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

GOD ,save me from religions !

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:56 AM
link   
Wouldn't a more valid question go like this - What HASN'T the Catholic Church done over the years?????

From Witch burning, paedophilia, a few Crusades thrown in here and there, to helping some of the High Ranking Officials in the Nazi party escape post WW2 Germany, it seems that the Catholic Church has done more harm than good over the years.

But who cares about that, when they have the word of a non-existant God behind them? Us Mortal plebs have nothing when compared to the Almighty.

Now I can understand why Satan was thrown out of Heaven, if the Bible is true. Probably didn't like where things were heading and tried to change it for the good.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:59 AM
link   
op, can you help answer two questions that have left me 'lost'?

you seem to be well clued up with your bible way of thinking, i'm hoping you can shed some light on the thoughts
that dissuaded me from any more bible study.

1) jesus tried teaching us great spiritual teachings, the elites new where this would lead so they killed him. 350ish years later those same elite bloodlines bring out a book of his teachings and base religions around it.... would there really be anything in the bible to empower the common man after they killed jesus because of his teachings? the only reason we know its gods words on the bible is because the elites that killed gods son told us so.. does that honestly soubd like something you would want to put faith and belief in??

2) if the vatican is the most profitable corporation on the planet, then i guess that makes the foundations of our society built on greed for money and power. which isn't a good thing yes? look how corrupt thats made society!

i can't help but think that people must be at least slightly mentaly deficient/naive and stupid if they still believe
all the hocus pocus fairy tale we call the bible.

what do you think?

look at what we know now, the vatican used to kill people for not going along with the idea that the earth flat!!

now we know that tutankamuns dna was western european.. the church new full well the earth wasn't flat and yet they saw fit to kill people that didn't go along with their way of thinking.. thats just one example of their psychoticness, you know there's loads more!!
edit on 28/12/10 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

edit on 28/12/10 by WHOS READY because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:11 AM
link   
My question is: What has it done FOR ME!!??

But in all fairness ill answer you.

1- it is the reason science is set back hundreds of years, we would be alot more advanced by now if not for it's scientific suppression!

2- It controlled what was "right" and "wrong" when i was growing up, not allowing me to make my own choices in fear of being outcast.

3-It tocuhed my #ing dick!!!!!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:18 AM
link   

One of my grandparents left Ireland after his brother died without receiving his last rites and the Catholic Church refused to let him be buried there. One of my other grandparents left Ireland because she wasn't allowed to be with her Protestant boyfriend (my granddad).

Currently, my brother (not religious) and sister-in-Law (Catholic) are going to Catholic mass every Sunday so their son gets to go to the local school when he's old enough. If they don't attend, he's not allowed to be Christened and won't be allowed to go to the school. The alternative is a school that isn't doing well at all.

My brother does it in tongue-in-cheek style by arriving last and pushing the pram with a squeaky wheel to the front. This is to make sure the priest notices their attendance.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   

I think the church was founded to help control the the common man and here it is put into words by one of the best at putting ideas into words:

www.youtube.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:05 AM
link   
For starters they told my father it was alright to beat the crap out of his little ones for being children in church. After bringing us home from church and getting out the bible. Then he would put us on our knees and start reading out of the bible followed by our punishment for the smallest slight against god in HIS home. Mind you we were no more than 6 or 7, maybe as early as 5. God told him that he had to make us good Catholics and he was going to enforce each and every Commandment. The rest of the weak he was an abusive drunk, but on Sunday, he was abusive for God. It didn't happen every Sunday, only the Sundays when the pastor got him fired up with the sermon.

The pastor at our church had a steamy affair with the cleaning lady, relocated him to keep things quiet.

The Vatican I know has a vast treasure trove of knowledge and wealth. IMAGINE how much good that could be doing out in general circulation. I have to think that society would be more advanced through the knowledge, and many more people without would have food in their bellies through the wealth. The fact is, the Catholic church is a business. They may preach piety and generosity, but those are lies to conceal whatever agenda they really have. The truth is they are greedy and through lack of caring are sitting on perhaps the greatest treasure trove in existence

And don't get me wrong, Ive met many people that are great Catholics, or at the least fit the traditional Catholic view of how people should live. Many however act the part during church and maybe even vow to be better after Sundays Sermon. But shortly thereafter they're back to their old self, name your sin of choice.

The Catholic church has nothing I want anymore. It's a corrupt organization with too many followers it inherited from prior generations.

edit on 28-12-2010 by croweboy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:13 AM
link   
I think the OP's author has left the building. I feel sorry for those who true to be true Xtians as they must cringe at OP's like this one. I believe that the true Jesus must have lived as portrayed by Scorcese's "Last temptation of Christ" but again the churches opposed that also.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by croweboy

To be honest, I think it should be renamed the "Abusive Church", because that seems more appropriate. But of course, you are going to get the full blooded Evangelicals in here that think because it is Gods word, that it is infallible.

Shame they are so indoctrinated that they can't see the problems right in front of them............

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:23 AM
link   
What the Catholic Church did 'TO' me -

- It put together the bible and said that it was the inspired Word of God.
At least it doesn't claim that it's the absolute Word of God like the fundamentalists.

- Just as with any organized religion, the Catholic church uses guilt to try to keep people following their particular interpretation of how people should worship and behave. Lucky for me, I didn't fall for it.

Here's what it did 'FOR' me -

- Provided a safe and good school for my daughter to go to instead of the broken down public schools.

- Introduced me to St. John of the Cross and Bl Edith Stein .. their writings and insights are amazing.

- It turned my attention to the spiritual instead of the mundane.

- Homilies by the religious priests (not the parish priests) gave me good insight on how to handle certain situations.

*'religious priests' are those who are in habits .. Carmelite, Franciscan, Dominican, etc.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:26 AM
link   

I have no interest in the church as I do not believe in any of it. If posting that reserves me a place in hell then i'll be sure to take my portable air con unit with me.

I get so sick of these people preaching on the streets etc. I have no problem with them, they can believe want they want but I do not want it pushed upon me and my family.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Well that's fair enough, but can you please tell me how what they say is anything different from what I say???

If I were to tell you that I was God, would you believe me???

I'm sorry if it seems antagonising. I honestly don't mean for it to be that way. But the simple fact is that just because someone says something, and has a supposed "Holy Book", doesn't make it real.

The difference is that I chose to live my life by what can be proven, not by something that can't be proven..........

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:48 AM
link   
reply to post by HomerinNC

Thanks for your reply - but my post was to the OP asking her to substantiate her own claim. I wasn't discussing the merits or lack thereof of the Catholic Church.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by kingofmd
I would start with the corruption of the Christian faith.

Protestants aren't guilt free in this area. Take the notion of 'rapture'. It's not in the bible.
And just because someone has a different interpretation of scripture doesn't mean it's
'corrupt'. It's just different.

We are saved (and always have been) by grace alone by faith alone, by Christ alone.

Sola scriptura is an invention of Martin Luther. He changed scripture and added those words.

Adding one's "good" works to the salvation formula has sent untold millions to hell.

1 - The official Catholic teaching is that faith saves, not works.
2 - The Catholic church points out what it says in scripture - from James - 'faith without works is dead'. Therefore, if anyone is physically able to perform works, they will do so as an outward sign of their inner faith.
3 - Your comment 'sent millions to hell' is absurd. You have no clue.
4 - Stop getting your education about Catholics from Jack Chick and instead, read the Catechism.

Pagan practices such as praying to/for the dead,

1 - SCRIPTURE says to pray for each other. Therefore, that's what Catholics do. Catholics pray for each other, and ask each other to pray for them. Living or dead. Makes no difference.
2 - SCRIPTURE says to pray for the dead.

Mary/Queen of Heaven worship,

Catholics do not worship Mary. Read the catechism.

veneration of idols,

1 - Ya' wanna' talk about idols? How about that serpant idol that God commanded be made back in Moses time .. the one that God said to lift up and let the people see and venerate so that they would survive snake bites!

2 - Do you have pictures of family members in your home? Why? So you can be reminded of them, right? Having paintings and statues of people in churches is no different. No one worships the statues. They are there to remind people of others who have gone before them and they are there so that people can be inspired to be like them.

placing of tradition above scripture,

1 - Careful .. you anti-catholic fundamentalist training is showing. You are cherry picking scripture to fit your agenda.
2 - Scripture is tradition and stories that have been passed down .. and then written down.
3 - Scripture and Tradition

and now a little LIGHT reading .. shine some light into that closed mind of yours ...

Not everything was written in the bible. Holy traditions were followed based on the teachings and happenings that did not make it into the bible - read and see - many holy teachings were left out -

Mark 4:33 - With many such parables he spoke the word to them ...
Mark 6:34 - He began to teach them many things ..
John 16:12 - I have yet many things to say to you but you cannot bear them now.
John 20:30 - Now Jesus did many other signs in the presence of the disciples, which are not written in this book.
John 21:25 - But there are also many other things which Jesus did; were every one of them to be written, I suppose the world itself could not contain the books that would be written.
Acts 1:2-3: To the apostles he presented himself alive after his passion by many proofs, appearing to them during forty days, and speaking of the kingdom of God.
1 Corinthians 15:1 - ... the gospel, which you received ...
1 Galatians 1:9 - .... the gospel .. which you received ....
1 Thessalonians 2:9 - We preached to you the gospel of God
Acts 8:14 - Samaria had received the word of God ..

Many teachings weren't written. Then scripture goes on to say to HOLD ONTO holy traditions.

1 Corinthians 11:2 - I commend you because you remember me in everything and maintain the traditions even as I have delivered them to you.

2 Thessalonians 2:15 - Stand firm and hold to the traditions which you were taught by us, either by word of mouth or by letter.

2 Thessalonians 3:6 - Keep away from any brother who is living in idleness and not in accord with the tradition that you received from us.

Jesus is our ONLY redeemer/mediator as told by the Bible, not Mary.

Scripture says that we are to pray for each other and to ask others to pray for us. Catholics ask Mary to pray for them and to go to her Son for them. This is NOT replacing Christ as the redeemer and mediator with God. That's a myopic notion. They just are asking one person (Mary) to pray to Jesus for them. Considering she's already in heaven, and she's His mother and has a close relationship with Him ... I'd say that's a pretty smart endgame move.

How about the murders of untold numbers of Christians throughout the centuries?

Yes .. the protestants sure did mass murder Catholics.
(that door swings both ways ya' know)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
This one is gonna make for a big booooooom, christianity itself is behing attacked by everysides, i wonder why eheheh, cause they did somany bad things, there not the first and wont be the last, so seriously, cause there all pedophiles or they protect some, heck im sure theres pedophiles in every aspect of life, so cant really be only that one, mmight be cause they ran the world for so many centuries, made so many ennemies, and now, when al else fails, its the fault of the pope and is flock.

Its a fashion to hate catholics, its everywhere, for the evry one priest that did do a bad thing, wow theres tons that are just good people. Its as been long time coming i guess, when you got islam, judaism and christianity all suposed to be looking out for our poor souls, But really who are fighting over control just like governments, its a real mess.

Oh also if ya try and say anything againts the other religions, your a hatemonger lol, so plz enjoy your priest and pope bashing, all your doing is helping divide us more and help the powers that be who want to take control over as many people as possible.

I dont even believe in jesus behing th son of good, im just fed up of people ashamed of who or what they are cause the news says there bad lol...

a big boo hooo hooo to all youz haterz lalalalala

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by TerribleTeam2
please tell me how what they say is anything different from what I say???

Sorry, I don't follow that. Could you explain that more? Thanks.

If I were to tell you that I was God, would you believe me???

I don't believe ANYONE when they say they have a pipeline to God, let alone an individual person. But let me tell ya .. if you were God, I'd have a few things to discuss with you!

Read this thread - Is God a Deadbeat Dad?

edit on 12/28/2010 by FlyersFan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:00 AM
link   
ILL USE CAPS JUST TO PISS MORE PEOPLE OFF EHEHEHEH< SERIOUSLY GET A GRIP PEOPLE, EVERY MASS RELIGION HAS IS GOOD AND ITS BAD.... YOU GUYS MAKE IT SOUND LIKE THERE THE ONLY EVIL ONES LOL....

SERIOUSLY LIKE THERS NO MUSLAM PEDOPHILE OR JEWISH PEDO LOL

grow up some ballz and stop ebhing ashamed cause the news, who are owned by who lol, tells you the church is bad

ahahahahahahahah

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:05 AM
link   
What did the catholic church ever do to me?

To be honest, it bored the living s**t out of me for 12 long years.
It gave me a crap education due to it's blinkered view of religion and science.
And, it lied to me about the whole zombie death cult stuff when I was too young to be objective.

I assume you were looking for the personal stuff.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join