It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did the Catholic Church ever do to You?

page: 11
<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by dontreally

The Church was created by Rome.

Tell that to a Greek Orthodox Catholic. You should really brush up on historical facts before you quote.

As for me. I have a problem with it. My ancestors were forced to convert to catholicism in the 17th century because the inquisition in portugal. My family lived for a generation as Murano Jews until they eventually assimilated with the rest of the catholics.
Forced to convert!! the Inquisition had jurisdiction only over baptised members of the Church. Not JEWS! It was the government, (KING) who made Jews convert.

edit on 28-12-2010 by oliveoil because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

why thank you... Atheists are such a small minority one can easily generalize upon them without even painting with a very wide brush at all.

I mean the evidence is overwhelming...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:36 PM
link   
I have a lot to thank for church.

I went to a catholic grade school and then later went to a Jesuit "college prep" school. In grade school we would go sometimes twice a week then again on Sunday with my family. SOO yeah I been to lots of church. It was the most boring and the biggest waste of time EVER. I hated it with a passion and I fought going all the time.. but I had to.

So I like to thank church for my imagination. I would sit there and just come up with stories in my mind and then stories about people I did not know. I would stare at the walls count lights anything to get my mind out of actually having to be there. Sometimes I would also play games in my head guessing which people would forget to stand or sit in the right order or who was gonna drink the wine. The list goes on...

I also have church to thank for getting me into percussion. I used to tap out or just beat on the back on the pew.. (quietly) eventually I was like "hey I am pretty good at this" so I bought some bongos and now I can play many instruments.

Also there were tons of hot chicks at church and everyone knows there is nothing easier than a catholic school girl.

So thanks catholic church for being so boring it made me creative and a musician. Also I used to love skipping church when I was old enough to drive I would just go by pick up leaflet to prove I was there then I would go to best buy and rage video games.

probably explains why I got so into the principia discordia and my savior jr bob dobbs.

edit on 28-12-2010 by 911fnord because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil3unnie
reply to post by FlyersFan

You obviously missed my other posts or choose to only use one of them kinda like how you choose to anthropomorphise God. I am still waiting for those contradictions you speak of. Have you actually read the bible?

1 - I've read the bible many times.
2 - I've been to different bible studies as well.
3 - Why are you 'still waiting' for the contradictions? I gave you one big one ... and also gave you an error.
I'd be more than happy to post a whole lot more .. but seeing as you are ignoring the first two that I posted,
I won't bother. Explain away the error and the contradiction that I posted ... I double dog dare ya to try!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

you're the ignorant actually.
The religion makes people stupid,AND it has killed people throughout time.
There's nothing the church can do for you,that you can't do for yourself.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:39 PM
link   
If the Catholic Church was the true church of Christ they would liquidate all of their assets and use those billions upon billions of dollars to help the poor, sick and hungry, not just by giving them food, etc. They would help these people help themselves by building farms and water systems through all of these places which would allow these people to sustain themselves. The vast amount of wealth the Vatican hoards is mind boggling. How can ordained priests (those higher in positions of authority mainly) take a vow of poverty then live in such luxurious places. Church building should be the simplest structures in the world. I'm almost positive that God would much rather have that wealth help others instead of being used to build something as frivolous and non permanent as a building.

MT

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic.Artifact

Think about all the pseudo-"Christian" Muslim haters? Jews refer to all "wrong" religions as "Pagan". Islam probably has their own as well.

It's funny that you bring up ignorance, though...

Because Atheists combat religion with A=B, B=C, A=C arguments based on facts backed up by scientific study and/or recorded in peer-reviewed publications... and the "unignorant" religious people say "no, no, no; sacred scriptures (that I've never read), God's will(as interpreted and changed thousands of times over the course of history), that's not what my pastor told me(The one that picks material out of the book that I claim to base my life on)".

Also, I am an Atheist, and I have read the Bible three times, three different versions. I'm sure that is more than I can say about you... so which one of us is really more ignorant?

This behavior of yours is less than Christian, by the way. I understand you're one of those pseudo-"Christians" that don't think that Jesus changed everything and he really only had 2 rules to success:

Love God

Love your neighbor

So... was just wondering... since you're so militantly opposed to Atheism... how is that log in your eye treating you?

Phar·i·see
   /ˈfærəˌsi/ Show Spelled[far-uh-see] Show IPA
–noun
a member of a Jewish sect that flourished during the 1st century b.c. and 1st century a.d. and that differed from the Sadducees chiefly in its strict observance of religious ceremonies and practices, adherence to oral laws and traditions, and belief in an afterlife and the coming of a Messiah.
( lowercase ) a sanctimonious, self-righteous, or hypocritical person.

edit on 28-12-2010 by Brood because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:46 PM
link   
Catholicism is a cult that has gone mainstream so it's now a recognized "religion." It's BS, it's corrupt, it's brainwashing, it's bigoted, it's repulsive.

Thanks.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ModestThought
If the Catholic Church was the true church of Christ they would liquidate all of their assets and use those billions upon billions of dollars to help the poor, sick and hungry,

well it's kinda like spirit, you can not have it all at once as it would be overwhelming, Catholics are everywhere building churches and building communities... Though I am not Catholic, I was born in the USA...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:47 PM
link   
reply to post by EricD

Sure I would be more than happy to but I have a feeling you are not interested enough to actually go out and do the research yourself. I hope this helps you with your journey. I am sure this will be more than enough to get you started.

Enjoy!

Bloomberg, Craig. The Historical Reliability of the Gospels. Leicester: Inter-Varsity Press, 1987
Bready, J. Wesley. England: Before and After Wesley. London: Hodder and Stoughton Ltd.,1939
Blunt, Rev. J.J. Undersigned Coincidences in the Old and NEw Testiment. London: John Murray, 1876
Duncan, J. Garrow. Digging Up Biblical History, Vol 1&2. LOndon CAssell,Peter,Galpin & Co., 1878
Flavius, Josphus. Antiquities of the Jews. Grand Rapids: Kregal Publications, 1960
Kenyon, Sir Frederic. The Story of the Bible. London: John Murray ,1936
Jeffery, Grant R. The Signature of God. Toronto: Frontier Research Pulications, Inc.,1996
Rambsel, Yacov A. His name is Jesus. Toronto: Frontier research Publications Inc., 1997
Sheppar, Lancelot C. Prophacy Fulfilled - The Old Testament Realized in the New. New York: David McKay co. Inc., 1958
Robinson , John A.T. The Obvious Proof. London: CIS Publishers, 1993
Dr. David Jeremiah. What in the World is Going On? Nashville TN: Thomas Nelson Inc., 2008
Sproul R.C. Defending your Faith: An Introduction to Apologetics Wheaton, IL: Crossway Books 2003

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evil3unnie
reply to post by FlyersFan

You obviously missed my other posts or choose to only use one of them kinda like how you choose to anthropomorphise God. I am still waiting for those contradictions you speak of. Have you actually read the bible?

You really do not know of any contradictions in the Bible?

Here ya go, enjoy the video

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:55 PM
link   

edit on 28-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: doublepost

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:57 PM
link   
reply to post by Brood

Atheists have linear thought patterns yes, of which there is a very big problem with that btw. Theists and others tend possibly to use Holistic thinking so I would have to agree.

I always love to use this site as a base reference to Linear Vs Holistic.

To continue to look at something from one point of view. To take information or observations from one situation, place this data in another situation (usually later), and make a conclusion in the later situation.
ericbrown.com...

free the mind and step out of the circular-logic box... Neo did it

Respect all Religions ...except self-centered Atheism of course !

edit on 12/28/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Tell me if I understand where you are coming from: The church needs to establish itself and win over people. Some can only be won over if they see the church as a successful organization, hence the lavish building, etc. They have obviously tried force before it worked for some but not for all.

If this is what you meant, don't you agree that the church has been around long enough to establish itself and give up its wealth without falling away into nothingness? I believe that they got a taste (a rather large taste) of wealth and power. That kind of wealth and power is hard to give up, it takes a strong person. This type of persn would truly be worthy to be Vicar of Christ.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Atheism is not a religion, no "faith" involved.

Its a state of mind. Maybe you should quit your atheist bashing and get your facts straight.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
What did the church do for me ?

Nothing, absolutely nothing. well except for on thing they always ask for money every time i visit.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by oliveoil

Where did you EVER get the idea that a Jew who was supposed to have lived over 2000 years ago created the roman catholic church? As far as problem with the RCC where does one begin. My biggest problem with the RCC is the coverup of pedofile priests, a close second is the fact that it is one of the wealthiest BUSINESSES on earth and pays NO taxes. And yes it is a business by any definition of the word.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by thirdeyeaware

Atheism is not a religion, no "faith" involved.

Its a state of mind. Maybe you should quit your atheist bashing and get your facts straight.

atheism is a system based in "belief" (if one believes in it that is their 'faith' in it) it is the deism of self and the most arrogant and ignorant of beliefs.

edit on 12/28/2010 by Cosmic.Artifact because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   

So choosing to believe in science and everyday life is IGNORANT compared to a belief of a man in the sky, magic healing powers, burning bushes that can speak?

You sir, are the ignorant one.
edit on 28-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: typo

edit on 28-12-2010 by thirdeyeaware because: typox2

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:20 PM
link   
oliveoil you close your eyes to the corruption that occurs within the catholic church. Good job, you're of substandard to average intelligence.

top topics

<< 8  9  10    12  13  14 >>

join