It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A metal nut fell from the sky just now and landed in front of me.

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ohiotim2112

Ahh you are probably right. I'd still like to know how fast the object was travelling to bounce off the grass though because like I said - when I throw it into the sky it just lands on the ground instead of bouncing like it originally did.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:08 PM
link   
I wasn't kidding mate
quantas engines have been losing parts all over the country side and it wouldn't suprise me especially as you said there was an airport nearby if it was off one of their jets

I doubt it would be kids with a slignshot, although around here it's rare to see a kid with a slignshot, back country WA every kid had em but they never shot nuts, it would be stones. also kids with slingshots don't normally shoot them into the air they aim for windows cars people animals houses... well the "locals" do

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:15 PM
link   
S@F, just glad it did not hit you in the head, the weird popping noise made me think of that great scene in Poltergeist when the old items began falling from the ceiling. But really my thoughts are more about it being space junk and the sound you heard was the swirling sound it made as it whizzed past your ear.

I really do think often about the miles of outerspace pollution we are creating and how eventually it will begin to cause problems.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Destroyer2012

I never said there was an airport nearby.. lol

I mean there is, about 5 minute drive away, but I never mentioned it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

So not only have you created a thread that is completly nuts, but you may also have uncovered a true psychic on ATS!! Well done!

EDIT: Gonna give you a flag, as not only is this an interesting and puzzling mystery, but I also just chuckled really loudly, lol.
edit on 27/12/10 by woogleuk because: Typing in the dark makes spelling bad

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I don't know how to work out how high it was due to the bounce (many factors like soft grass/cement) but any object with any mass will fall at 9.81m/sec^2

here's the formulas

the acceleration a of an object falling at the surface of the earth is 9.81 m/s^2. So its velocity v is acceleration times falling time t.
v = a * t

And its distance travelled (or height fallen) is
d = 1/2 * a * t^2

Solve for t and plug into the first equation:
v = sqrt(2*a*d)

where sqrt signifies the square root.

If you take a = 9.81 m/s^2 then you have the formula relating falling distance (in m) to final velocity (in m/s).

Hope this helps
oh & its QANTAS not quantas (Queensland And Northern Territory Air Services)

Cheers

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:42 PM
link   
reply to post by lavenlaar

Damn I always spell it wrong.

All that math stuff goes right over my head.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Nventual

I've know a lot of mental nuts in my life, but to my knowledge, none of them ever claimed to have fallen out of the sky and hit the ground despite the fact that it would explain some of their peculiarities.

Oh wait a minute, you said metal nut. Who knows, maybe it came from a kid with a sling shot shooting nuts up into the air.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I was wondering if you have any squirrels in the area ?

Hmmmm.. ok probably not. Im gonna go with the magpie solution. I think if it fell from a plane it would not have bounced . I think it would have been buried in the ground.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:19 AM
link   
Probably kids with sling shots, i used to fire sinkers and nuts into the air when i was a kid.

Although like a previous poster mentioned it could have been a magpie or even a crow!
During christmas 2003, we were sitting in the backyard having a bbq when all of a sudden a moreton bay bug (sea creature) smashed into the ground next to the fire, was so random!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:29 AM
link   
I would love it to have been dropped by an Australian Magpie! They have a fondness for metal nests

That one is almost 100% wire, note the coat hanger in the bottom left

link

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Wow thats awesome, if there was a thunder storm you could possibly have yourself a free feed of magpie and eggs!

edit on 28-12-2010 by exo87 because: .

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:37 AM
link   
reply to post by exo87

yeah but if any of its family sawyou messing with them they'd be stalking you for days.
personal experience.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:37 AM
link   
your positive that the nut wasnt already in the yard and that the noise wasnt from a different source? i use to hit all kinds of objects like nuts with a baseball bat sending them flying... was anybody mowing near by? could of been picked up and shot into your yard by a mower. about the fallen from space theories, wouldnt it burn up before it hit the ground, if not wouldnt it penetrate the ground? and about airplanes, dont know if they do this or not but wouldnt the airplane nuts have pin holes on the sides to lock them in place? i think someone was messing with ya.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:47 AM
link   
It must of come from 10 to 40 thousand feet up in the air. The max speed in free fall from that hight is 250 miles and hour if it was from a low plane you would have seen it if was from a fast and high plane would would have not.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:26 AM
link   
A couple years ago there was a rash of nuts bolts and cutting edges from industrial wood chipper hitting homes cars and business building around the US.

The company that made the chipper sold replacment cutters with the nuts and bolts that held the cutters in place.
Someone at the company to save money had bought counterfiet grade 8 bolts from china that broke all the time and the cutters nuts and bolts wound fly hundreds of feet,

If its from a aircraft it should have one or more marks on it from a marker pen. Many aircraft A&Ps mark there nuts and bolts as they Torq them to make sure they don't miss any. and some parts are torqued in stages and they will put a mark on them for each stage.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:28 AM
link   
reply to post by jsettica

Well I'm not sure whether what I saw was the object falling or if it was the object bouncing after the fall.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
reply to post by Destroyer2012

I never said there was an airport nearby.. lol

I mean there is, about 5 minute drive away, but I never mentioned it.

lol relaX dude and go back inside and listen to some more Hilltop hoods, that's one of ya fav bands right

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by Nventual
just to clear something up.. slingshots aren't sold in toy shops in Australia. the only slingshots we have are expensive $200 ones for sporting purposes and you sometimes need a permit for them. very uncommon to know someone who has a slingshot, let alone a kid.

I have to disagree, my local gun supplier sells them for between $40-$300, we have a couple of the $40-$50 ones and they are very powerful.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:05 AM
link   
Or you can make one out of stolen jelly rubber and a cut out patch of leather and a stolen pair of shoe laces
just like the locals do

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join