It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Share Your New Year's Eve/Day Traditions and Superstitions

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Many people consider the New Year a good time for reflection and renewal. We all hope it will bring us something meaningful, perhaps a new start and some of us have interesting superstitions or rituals that may be a part of ushering in the New Year. Here are some examples from around the world:

What to Do on New Year’s Eve

*Every door and window should be left open at midnight on to let the old year out.
*Make lots of noise at the stroke of midnight. Evil spirits attempt to come into the brand new year at this time – horns and whistles chase them away.
*Dancing around a tree (especially outside) ensures luck, love, and prosperity.
*There should be money in your pocket at the stroke of midnight.
*The pantry should be stocked as well.
*Kissing your spouse or significant other at midnight ensures that you will remain intimate with that person. To not kiss means a cold relationship for the year.
*A woman shouldn’t speak until a man says "Happy New Year."

'Erm... not so sure about that last one... Lol

My grandmother always prepared a huge afternoon dinner on New Year's Day. She believed that to do that would insure the family would be well and not go hungry during the year.

She also believed that no one should spend any money on New Year's Day. To avoid doing so would insure that one would not be without if there was an emergency or if there was a need, during the year.

Last, she believed in having a very clean house on New Year's Day (but no cleaning on that day, must be before). It served as a way to let go of the old and welcome the new (similar to opening windows on New Year's Eve).

I'm sure there are so many other quirky things people do - those are the three I've inherited from her and have continued to do, as well... In fact, doing all my cleaning tonight! Whoo hoo! Ugh...

So, what are the other rituals and traditions or superstitions that you have? Please share...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by LadySkadi

The only tradition the people around me shared was giving presents... made me feel kind of icky that the rich culture of staying together and having dinner was very shattered.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:05 PM
link   

*Make lots of noise at the stroke of midnight. Evil spirits attempt to come into the brand new year at this time – horns and whistles chase them away.

Just drink heavy

Eat pork

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Thanks for this. I didn't even know there were traditions or superstitions about these two days.

The only tradition that I can remember revolved around me and that was that on New Years day, one must be very quiet around me. Banging pots and the like will certainly get you off to a bad new year...

I might however go out and dance around a tree just for the hell of it though..

really, I might just do that..

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:19 PM
link   
reply to post by tribewilder

Lol... pots and pans banging on New Year's Day just might bring the banger bad luck, no doubt.

Dancing around a tree (outside) sounds kinda fun. Why not? I may do that, myself.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:25 PM
link   
For kicks, I wish everyone a merry christmas.

They remind me its new years, not christmas

I ask them what christmas represents...birth of christ
I ask them what new years is counting up from...birth of christ.

how many times does this guy get to get born anyhow!!!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Dont wash dishes or cloths or clean house because what ever you are doing on new years day is what you will do the rest of the year
Plus blacked peas, collard greens and hawg jawls for dinner mmmmmmm

As for what ill be doing probably sittin in a tree stand

edit on 27-12-2010 by hillbilly4rent because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

Now you tell me,sheesh! The only thing missing from your
list,that is always on mine,sifting litter pans!
I think we will have pizza and watch old 50's sci-fi movies.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by hillbilly4rent

As for what ill be doing probably sittin in a tree stand

Please be careful, it might be me that's dancing around at the bottom of that tree...

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:03 AM
link   
A Happy New Year's wish to you all!

Personal philosophy: don't take anything with you, that isn't working for you.

Peace

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 05:12 PM
link   
Additionally, remember to acknowledge that which is working for you, as well!

Oh and don't email, text, call or post (or u2u) after one too many glasses of wine!

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
reply to post by hillbilly4rent

OK....

hillbilly4rent, mamabeth, tribewilder, AND LadySkadi

I broke everyone of those things NOT to do..........

Well there is always next year

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I kissed one random girl at midnight, and two other girls throughout the night...

Anybody know what that means

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by OzWeatherman

The kiss at midnight means you will have good luck throughout the year!
The others, maybe they will be the bad luck?

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:47 PM
link   
about 5 years ago, my sister choked on a roll during Christmas dinner because she was eating way too fast, got her throat cleared but she stayed unconscious until the paramedics came. ever since then there has not been any bread at the table on Christmas, or thanksgiving for that matter. It somehow grew into a strange tradition i guess, even though nothing like that would happen again, well unlikely at least.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
My father grew up in rural Lincolnshire, and obviously learned this in childhood;
He would get everyone in the household to go outside on New Year's morning and bring in a piece of evergreen (for convenience, he would have some ready cut). His explanation was that this would ensure them life though the year.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
yep the black eyed peas were what all the ladies from mom to grandmothers (the best were fresh from their farm) and aunts did for new years growing up, gyad those were good times, they could really whip some stuff up and would take home cookin over Del Frisco's or Mickey D's anyday (seems some even thought I had stomach worms- lol, probably why I learned to cook for myself as well but it's just not the same
), still gives me warm feelings and makes me hungry thinking about it!
thanks

thought I'd look it up-

The practice of eating black-eyed peas for luck is generally believed to date back to the Civil War. At first planted as food for livestock, and later a food staple for slaves in the South, the fields of black-eyed peas were ignored as Sherman's troops destroyed or stole other crops, thereby giving the humble, but nourishing, black-eyed pea an important role as a major food source for surviving Confederates. gosoutheast.about.com...

edit on 3-1-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

Just drink heavy Eat pork

oh man I'm in tears, did'nt catch that the first round-hilarious!
come to think of it they did near always throw in bacon for flavor and some wild turkey was always sitting around
edit on 3-1-2011 by Rustami because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join