It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Lakeway, a crusade against speed traps

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   

In Lakeway, a crusade against speed traps

www.statesman.com

"Not a lot of people flash their lights to warn others nowadays," he wrote. "But, I DO! And when I see a speed trap, I go back up the road a bit, and stand on the sidewalk, wearing my SpeedTrapAhead T-shirt."

The site was soon hosting discussions on topics useful to a certain type of driver: Was crossing over a white line technically illegal or merely not recommended? Does state law require that you produce a driver's license if detained?

Mitchell also started chronicling his own occasional acts of civil disruption, often accompanied by self-produced video.

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:17 PM
link   
LOL

Civil disobedience 101.

This guy is either incredibly brave, or incredibly dumb, I will leave it up to the reader to decide.

So this man starts his own crusade against speed traps, warning drivers where cops are hiding out with radar guns and what not.

And as it appears, he has not had his share of detractors and pissed off LE within the field, having been fined and arrested for doing so.

My guess is that should he continue (which it sounds like he intends to do), he is going to be the subject of a lot of investigations and surveillance.

But he appears to tread carefully within the 'legal' realms, so who knows what will happen.

Interesting story if nothing else. A rare case of one individual using peaceful non-compliance and disobedience against the system of using LE as a means to collect revenue for the 'legal' system.

www.statesman.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:24 PM
link   
Good effort. This is nothing more than a cash cow for cops too fat to handle real crime. Any and all chances I get I flash others. There are smartphone apps that will also alert others.

brill

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
I flash the lights most of the time but that can get you pulled over. They hit you with a charge of faulty lights or at least that`s what they threatened me with.

Also you can look online for known speed traps and here is one site.

www.speedtrap.org...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
In Virginia it is a crime to warn drivers of speedtraps. It is also the only state where radar detectors are illegal. Virginia is the hairy butthole of the USA.
I moved to CA, it may not be perfect, but it's far and away better than VA.

I'm in VA right now visiting for the holidays and this place just gives me the creeps.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Good for him.

Police departments are all about revenue, it's time they learned people have had enough of their theft.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonTattooz
In Virginia it is a crime to warn drivers of speedtraps. It is also the only state where radar detectors are illegal.

...the underlined part isnt correct...

www.1stradardetectors.com...

U.S. Federal law prohibits the use of radar detectors and laser jammers in commercial vehicles crossing state lines and weighing over 10,000 pounds. Radar detectors and laser jammers are also illegal to use on any U.S. military base.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

It's been known for years that the city of Lakeway generates revenue in this manner. The times I have driven through the area were stressful as I had heard many stories of undeserved citations. The police resorted to stretching the truth when the surrounding population learned to avoid the traps therefore sending the revenue diving.

Speed limits range from 45 to 60 in several spots that span only a couple of miles. The back neighborhood streets are an even bigger risk for citations. I avoid the area like the plaque...a little too cliquish for me. I applaud this Texans campaign...the tough individualism the State is known for but rarely seen anymore.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:15 PM
link   

I was saved 3 times this weekend by people flashing their lights to warn me!!

THANK YOU!!

I drove about 30 hours roundtrip for the holidays, and I did my best to keep the pace around 90 mph. On 3 separate occasions, friendly oncoming motorists warned me, I slowed, and just around the next turn or hill was a speed trap all 3 times.

Phew!

I escaped the entire drive without a ticket!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:28 PM
link   
I drove from Northern Cali to Virginia in 3 days last week. Ran the speed limit the whole way and passed several "parked" cops. I didn't get a ticket.

Man, I sound old. If you only knew me when I was younger...although, I am still kind of a wild man, I just try to avoid any interaction with law enforcement.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   
reply to post by DragonTattooz

The "speedtrap" tactic is a money trap for municipalities. If your city/county/parish is doing this, you must make them stop. Budgets will balloon to account for the money and then the speedtrap is part of the local policy. This kills local business, as no one will come to the area unless they are unlucky.

Pecos doesn't run speedtraps. But they also don't write tickets. If you get pulled over, you go to jail and await the judge the next morning. That is just they way those idiots do things. Thus, i rarely go towards Pecos, unless I am having to drive to El Paso (the capital of my family line).

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:59 PM
link   

Virginia is the hairy butthole of the USA.

I would have called Virginia the stinking armpit of the USA, and Alabama the hairy butthole.

To continue with that metaphor chain, that would make South Carolina the rotting jock itch, New Jersey would have to be the dripping genital pustule, and of course California would be the leaking colostomy drain.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:01 PM
link   

In Virginia it is a crime to warn drivers of speedtraps. It is also the only state where radar detectors are illegal. Virginia is the hairy butthole of the USA.
I moved to CA, it may not be perfect, but it's far and away better than VA.

I'm in VA right now visiting for the holidays and this place just gives me the creeps.
\

I am an LEO in VA and I resent that...and radar detectors are only illegal if they are on *hint hint*. I hate traffic anyways.

Secure

posted on Aug, 12 2012 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Starred: Found this video. Somebody should buy this guy a six pack and dinner.

Description of video:

Uploaded by PittsburghCopBlock on Aug 19, 2011 Warning drivers of a speedtrap

If he's caught by the cop ahead or another cop he might be in for some abuse. Brave man.

I can see being safe - I haven't had a ticket in over 43 years of driving (2 verbals warnings).

But some of these speed traps are clearly to make money, like a extra tax.

And don't you love the traffic lights that turn from green to red with a yellow that last 2 seconds and that camera to get you!

It's all about the money now...................PROFIT for the City / Corporation.

top topics

join