It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Alien believers: Convince a skeptic

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:00 PM
link   
This is my first post on ATS, so be kind with me if I break any rules.

I've been reading all the threads I can on aliens and UFO's, and my boyfriend has been showing me all evidence he's found online. I'm still undecided, I suppose because I can't see for myself. I don't presume to think that we are here in the universe by ourselves, but I'd like to believe without a doubt that they are out there.

So I'm asking for all of your stories. Personal encounters, or whatever story or piece of information you found that convinced you that they are out there and are involved with us at some level. Or maybe even advice on how to wrap my head around this idea. I'm very interested in the subject, but I've never given it much thought.

Anyway, thanks in advance for reading my first thread! I look forward to any responses that I may get!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:13 PM
link   
To be quite frank, there is no point in trying to convince you. Becasue you are skeptial by nature. And that is a GOOD thing, before the flaming comences
It is good that you are skeptical, we all should be. I was, until I saw something which I couldn't explain.And i really think, that this is the only thing that will show people who are strong minded, that there is more to the ufo subject than ridicule and fuzzy videos. And IMO, that's kind of the way it should be. (until that time when it is common knowledge) That is not to take anything away from people who have no personal experience/personal sightings, who believe, they can take that step back, and see the bigger picture. More skeptical people take everything case by case, and there's nothing wrong with that, it's the most scientific way to approach something. But it's not the only way. As sometimes stepping back, and looking at all the testimonies from credible sources, all the pictures that "might be something" and all the good bits, filtered from the haystack, and seeing just how much there is going on. is a good way of getting a good idea on wether or not there is any truth to one of the biggest questions yet to be answered in full.

So maybe it is not us who should be convincing you, but you, who might like to try a different approach to the way you look at something. You can still apply critical thinking, infact, it is a must to do so. But do it on another scale, and you might find a different answer. Test yourself, that is what you are here for.

And welcome to ATS

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:14 PM
link   
I can not convince you of anything. I've seen a few objects and have two mysterious healed wounds that were not there the day before finding them. (One circa 2005, the other a few weeks ago).

I, myself, have been hearing and watching this alien phenomena due to listening to various documentaries and television programs based upon alien events. I have always been enamored by the topic.

However, it would be foolish for me to claim knowledge about anything. I know something exists, but...I have strong doubts that it involves space aliens. I think Time and Alternate Dimensions plays a large part in it, but again, its all pure speculation. One will believe what they will believe with such a topic.

There is nothing to convince you with, because I will tell you the truth. There is no solid evidence of anything...at least that is accessible to anyone you are able to converse with. So, my advice to you is that you simply keep your skepticism, because you have a right to hold it without the evidence that is needed to believe. Otherwise, you'll simply be believing on faith.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by KayinAR

well, you've come to the right place as ATS has a healthy dose of believers and skeptics alike, both of which, IMO serve a necessary function.

anyhow, just go to the Aliens and UFO page, and there will be countless threads with tons of good-stuff you can explore.

the History Channel's series: "Ancient Aliens" has lots of good stories concerning the theory that aliens had visited earth in our distant past, and the cultural artifacts that remain to support such claims.

Bud Hopkins is a decent name to explore if you are interested in the abductee phenomenon (i know dubunkers have a problem with him, but he has compiled a serious catalog of the abductee phenomenon).

then there is MUFON and George Filer's weekly compilations of sightings at: nationalufocenter.com.

the point being is, there is A LOT of stuff out there. the topic is broad, and you can find yourself exploring any number of sub topics: UFOs. Abductee. Ancient Astronaut. Cattle mutilations (yuck). crop circles. sightings. alien human hybrid. reverse engineering etc. etc. etc.

plus the host of ATS personal accounts that will hopefully be shared with you on this thread.

anyhow... good luck, and keep an open mind.

PS as for me. i have had too many dreams throughout my life of aliens and their ships for my liking. these dreams tend to have a very 'lucid' (vivid) quality to them and have been with me since childhood.

as to what it means, i have never committed to any one theory, other then that my brain be a bit goofy!

cheers
edit on 27-12-2010 by mythos because: spelling shenanigans

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:26 PM
link   
Step one for me would be to use the ATS search function and try and lookup any of the stories and evidence that your bf has told you about. There have been a number of sightings and such that before I made my way to ATS-land I wholeheartedly believed only to find it very well debunked on these forums.You will find both sides here, some timesthe debunkers win out and sometimes the believers win out, but mostly its a draw ( but no one ever concedes defeat haha)

After that come back and post some things that you are still skeptical about and maybe we can help confirm your skepticism or open your eyes a little more to the believer side.

Myself, as my avatar states, I want to believe, and in most cases I do, but to me the evidence has to be stone cold and un-debunkable, because if there is even a shadow of a doubt, the skeptics will be all over it.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:36 PM
link   

edit on 27-12-2010 by NWtoHide because: Never mind!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Acidtastic

Thanks for your response! I'm a nurse, and one of the main things they stressed in nursing school was how important critical thinking is. Glad you mentioned it. I will try my hardest to keep an open mind!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:41 PM
link   
reply to post by KayinAR

First of all, welcome to ATS, I do hope you find it a pleasant stay...

As for your inquiry, I personally believe nobody can convince you of anything but you, yourself. Skepticism and doubt and unbelief serve to lead to discovery and understanding; and ultimately, to finding your own direct empirical evidence. But it also depends on how "open-minded" or receptive you are willing to be, because trust me, some people do NOT want to see the truth before their eyes (which is also fine with me BTW).

I can tell you that Extraterrestrial Life Forms do indeed exist and are indeed very real, the same way Humans exist and are real. I have my own personal experiences that provide my empirical evidence, but I wont be able to give you any proof, darling. Neither will I seek to convince you, because ultimately, to "convince" somebody is not too different than "converting" someone to your own religion; which is nothing more than the exertion of control.

The best I can tell you is: Seek your own Truth. And not only guide yourself by logical facts, but follow your intuition as well.

EDIT: Since you'd be doing some reading around here, I suggest you visit my Thread (link in my signature).

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by TheOneElectric

I agree with what you said about time travel. I wish I knew how to repost parts of other threads on my reply so I could remember all of it, but I don't, so I gotta go by memory. Lol. I have been looking at the threads previously written, and I especially like the chronological that someone posted. Very helpful. And I liked your last comment about holding onto my skepticism because if not I'm believing on faith alone. I don't like doing that! So thanks for your response!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by RKallisti

Maybe convince was the wrong word to use. I really just want to hear why everyone else believes and maybe that will help me to at least understand. So I'd like to hear your story, if you don't mind to tell me. Not in a convincing manner, just tell me the facts.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by KayinAR
This is my first post on ATS, so be kind with me if I break any rules.

I've been reading all the threads I can on aliens and UFO's, and my boyfriend has been showing me all evidence he's found online. I'm still undecided, I suppose because I can't see for myself. I don't presume to think that we are here in the universe by ourselves, but I'd like to believe without a doubt that they are out there.

So I'm asking for all of your stories. Personal encounters, or whatever story or piece of information you found that convinced you that they are out there and are involved with us at some level. Or maybe even advice on how to wrap my head around this idea. I'm very interested in the subject, but I've never given it much thought.

Anyway, thanks in advance for reading my first thread! I look forward to any responses that I may get!

I always read the OP before I reply even though someone may have beat me to the same conclusion or comments. Frankly, you do not sound like a skeptic to me. I'm a 100% skeptic and I would never express myself as you have when you say: "I'd like to believe without a doubt that they are out there." As a skeptic, you don't want to believe, you want to know. And knowing comes only after evidence has been submitted that passes scrutiny. So far, there is no irrefutable evidence for the reality of aliens, only for UFOs. No doubt they're here. But here from where? No one knows that either but the romantic notion, thanks to the media, is that they got to come from "out there". No evidence for that either. All we have and can discuss are the mysteries surrounding the anomalous aerial objects we call UFOs and their variety seems to be unmeasurable.

So my suggestion to you, as a newbie/tyro, is to look at the various threads and see how we "argue" pro and con on what's offered. Keep in mind, though, that the majority of threads were initiated by believers who, mostly, have not done any real research and present a lot of questionable stuff especially those who specialize in going to YouTube and bringing back all kinds of videos a ton of them having already been posted here. Oh, yeah, use the Search function to see if what you are going to post has a history. If you don't do that you will be jumped on by those who consider not using the Search function a mortal sin!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by mythos
reply to post by KayinAR

well, you've come to the right place as ATS has a healthy dose of believers and skeptics alike, both of which, IMO serve a necessary function.

anyhow, just go to the Aliens and UFO page, and there will be countless threads with tons of good-stuff you can explore.

the History Channel's series: "Ancient Aliens" has lots of good stories concerning the theory that aliens had visited earth in our distant past, and the cultural artifacts that remain to support such claims.

Bud Hopkins is a decent name to explore if you are interested in the abductee phenomenon (i know dubunkers have a problem with him, but he has compiled a serious catalog of the abductee phenomenon).

then there is MUFON and George Filer's weekly compilations of sightings at: nationalufocenter.com.

the point being is, there is A LOT of stuff out there. the topic is broad, and you can find yourself exploring any number of sub topics: UFOs. Abductee. Ancient Astronaut. Cattle mutilations (yuck). crop circles. sightings. alien human hybrid. reverse engineering etc. etc. etc.

plus the host of ATS personal accounts that will hopefully be shared with you on this thread.

anyhow... good luck, and keep an open mind.

PS as for me. i have had too many dreams throughout my life of aliens and their ships for my liking. these dreams tend to have a very 'lucid' (vivid) quality to them and have been with me since childhood.

as to what it means, i have never committed to any one theory, other then that my brain be a bit goofy!

cheers
edit on 27-12-2010 by mythos because: spelling shenanigans

I don't mean to be unkind
but your reply is one of the problems that the OP is going to have to deal with in separating the wheat from the chaff. You recommend questionable sources that will not provide the OP with reliable information.

The Hysterical Channel's series "Ancient Aliens" is to be laughed at. The commentators are a joke and no one in their right mind would take anything they say as worthwhile or dependable. They just spew speculation and assumption without a shred of evidence mainly because they cannot offer any irrefutable evidence which leaves them open to say whatever they want. Why not? Nobobdy's going to verify anything they say and if an effort was mounted to do so you'd still come up empty or zero evidence. The show is aimed at the gullible who does not require evidence as their belief system does not allow it.

Budd Hopkins is not a reliable source as he is not qualified to mess with peoples' minds. He has been criticized for his poor hypnosis talents and all he does is ask leading questions. And peoples' testimonies from hypnosis proves nothing. This applies to all popular book authors who rely on such testimony. www.rickross.com... "Ottawa -- After being used in Canada for almost 30 years, the Supreme Court imposed a ban yesterday on witness testimony obtained under hypnosis, ruling it is not scientifically reliable enough to have a place in a court of law."

MUFON and George Filer are just as questionable sources and what they offer has to be taken with a grain of salt. MUFON is composed of people who investigate reports and generate reports of reports! Filer throws in everything AND the kitchen sink as I've proven to him and in a couple of threads here where I debunked a couple of his reports that the majority of viewers of his website and at rense.com do not question or research.

TO THE OP: Whenever you see topics such as the following recommended by others, as in this case, be wary for they usually lead nowhere but to gullibility: "Abductee. Ancient Astronaut. Cattle mutilations (yuck). crop circles. sightings. alien human hybrid. reverse engineering etc. etc. etc."

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Is the testimony of 400 witnesses at roswell,that they saw a crashed disc and small alien bodies enough for you?That evidence alone is definitive proof for me.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

Do you have a list of those names, and something that shows that list to be authentic? Throwing out figures without backing up the statement is one of the biggest reasons I'm a skeptic. We can never be sure that the "evidence" we see is actually evidence of anything other than over exaggeration and hearsay.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by EsSeeEye
reply to post by brindle

Do you have a list of those names, and something that shows that list to be authentic? Throwing out figures without backing up the statement is one of the biggest reasons I'm a skeptic. We can never be sure that the "evidence" we see is actually evidence of anything other than over exaggeration and hearsay.
By me having to provide a list to you tells me you havent done any research at all on roswell.I can only tell you to do some homework on a subject before you come to your conclusion.There are 400 plus testimonies by credible people about what they saw at roswell was debris and beings not of this earth.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:18 PM
link   
Hi KayinAR

I've not had any personal experience but do believe the phenomenon to be real.

You'll find a lot of great cases on this thread www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
Take a look at both the shag harbor case and lonnie zamora case.Once again,cases with irrefutable evidence that these aliens are landing here on earth and traverse our waterways too.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by brindle

Aren't you attempting to convince someone of something? Wouldn't you give them the evidence so they can see it themselves, rather than having them dig and likely fail at finding said evidence?

"I already found my evidence, you should do your own research." is code for "I don't have this evidence, I just heard it from someone else and would like to pass it along as a fact without any source."

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   
reply to post by The Shrike

i take moderate offense to your rebuke of my suggestions.

wheat from chaffe? dubious sources? the problem with ATS!!!???!?!?

the point i was trying to make is that there is a LOT of info out there. it is up to each individual to separate the "wheat from the chaffe" and not have some else (i.e. you) tell her what's what.

because i am certain you are not THE expert on all things extraterrestrial.

and what you have offhandedly rebuked, others have championed. i mean, are you dismissing off hand the totality of Bud Hopkin's work? or the extensive compilations of MUFON or George Filer? the Ancient Aliens show (albeit a commercial enterprise) has raised not ONE though provoking idea?

i realize that all of these sources have their biases and falibilities. but they also state info. then explore it. then the OP can then choose to explore it further, in other, perhaps more "high-brow" forums, if that is to their liking.

i chose to list such forums and topics where there was a host of info and unexplained phenomenon for the OP to sift through. then the OP can make up their own mind. that was the point..... not to dismiss every bit of info concerning UFO lore with a cynical lens.

and that's what i find as a problem with ATS nowadays: blanket comments from "know-it-alls"

geez.

my advice, once again.... do the research. there is plenty out that. decide for yourself.

edit on 27-12-2010 by mythos because: added clarifier

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by brindle
Is the testimony of 400 witnesses at roswell,that they saw a crashed disc and small alien bodies enough for you?That evidence alone is definitive proof for me.

There were no 400 witnesses at Roswell! Geezus krist, how dumb can people get? The only witnesses came after the fact and the limited number of witnesses to what was found gave their testimony which is still being negated by the gullible.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join