It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Behold: A Chirping, Pulsating Norwegian Aurora

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I found this to be pretty interesting and havent seen anyting on ATS as of yet so enjoy...

How the pulsating auroras form has long been a mystery. Stable auroras form when electrons and ionized particles from the solar wind travel down magnetic field lines towards Earth. These collide with nitrogen and oxygen particles in the ionosphere, some100 km above Earth, and the collisions send out blue, green, and red photons to create the colorful light shows of the aurora.

But no one knew what could cause an aurora to turn into a strobe light until scientists at UCLA looked at data from NASA's THEMIS spacecraft. They discovered that the auroras pulsed in sync to chorus waves far above Earth's atmosphere. The chorus waves apparently drive the light-inducing solar wind particles down to Earth following its own unique beat.

Linking the two phenomena does more than explain the origins of the pulsating aurora. Using the electromagnetic waves and the aurora to define end points of magnetic field lines gives scientists a new tool to physically map Earth's constantly changing magnetic field. Knowing the way that the magnetic field moves, in turn, is crucial for understanding space weather and phenomena that can threaten Earth-observing satellites.
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/6dfa906623de.jpg[/atsimg]
pulsating aurora pic above
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/91698469b293.png[/atsimg]
chorus waves pic above
LINK
blogs.nasa.gov...
Could the Earth be speaking and we dont hear it?

edit on 12/27/10 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I am trying to embed the video showing the chorus wave if anyone can help please embed. Thanks

link to embedd sound and video
blogs.nasa.gov...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Here's the embed for you... hope it's the right video.

EDIT: You're very welcome for the embed. Sorry I would add my input if was ANY sort of expert on this stuff, so I'll leave that to those who can help. I just thought I'd embed for ya
Peace!
edit on 27-12-2010 by changetheworld because: My lack of knowledge on subject

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:57 PM
link   
reply to post by changetheworld

Thank you very much
I guess I will eventually get the skill down how to embedd lol. Peace my friend

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:10 PM
link   
So to take it further imagine being able to minipulate the chorus waves Harmonically with certain frequency adjustments causing the Pulsating Auroras to form more defined.... Images that are mimmicking the vocal or audio output? Either way I like how the Earth chats and shows signs of it being more active with humainty.

Could this be one of the signs wildlife tends to follow sending the messages down the ladder per species of incomming events? just a thought

new topics

top topics

join