It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops' Use of Illegal Steroids a 'Big Problem'

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Cops' Use of Illegal Steroids a 'Big Problem'

www.aolnews.com...|main5|dl1|sec2_lnk1|33361

The badge and a steroid-filled syringe -- it's not the typical image most have for the abuse of performance-enhancing drugs. But as more within law enforcement get nabbed in steroid investigations nationwide, observers say that usage levels among police officers could rival the seediest patches of the pro sports landscape.

"It's a big problem, and from the number of cases, it's something we shouldn't ignore," Drug Enforcement Administration spokesman Lawrence Payne told AOL News. "It's not that we set out to target cops, but when we're in the middle of an active investigation into
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit on 27-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: fixed url link

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:28 AM
link   
A couple of weeks ago, I posted the following story, in which a large steroid distribution ring involving cops and firefiighters was exposed:

www.abovetopsecret.com...

And now it seems this whole enterprise is being revealed on an even wider scale. It appears their have been quite a few cases of LE being involved with steroids and substance for muscle and strength enhancement, as well as even SELLING these compounds:

The pace of investigations into steroid use in the police ranks has picked up in recent months:

•A former police officer in Canby, Ore., who allegedly took delivery of some steroids while on duty pleaded guilty in February to purchasing steroids.
•An officer in South Bend, Ind., pleaded no contest in March to selling steroids.
•A Cleveland police officer was sentenced to a year in prison and five years of supervised release in April after he was found guilty of illegally purchasing steroids.
•A dealer in Paw Paw, Mich., allegedly told authorities that he supplied "several police officers" with steroids, which led one Kalamazoo officer to resign in May.

As I stated in the previous story of the NJ steroid trafficking ring, I can think of better things to encounter than an individual with an overload of testosterone and androgens flowing through his system, armed with guns, tasers, and batons.

Not exactly a great combo.

www.aolnews.com...|main5|dl1|sec2_lnk1|33361
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 27-12-2010 by DimensionalDetective because: fixed url link

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:15 PM
link   
So when they taser you for any little reason its cause they're just pissed off over their balls shrinking and looking like raisins.

Imagine a cop on steroids pulling you over.

*high pitched voice like Mike Tyson* "License and registration please. WHAT'S SO FUNNY?! TASER!!! BZZZZT!!! w00t! I'M THE CHAMPION!!!"

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:29 PM
link   
Not to take away the seriousness of this problem - but the small town I use to live in - the cops are definitely not on steroids - McDonalds and Donuts are their fix. Every cop is over weight and out of shape!

However the Judge just had a wreck the other day - he is in good physical shape and he refused a drug test, huh.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:44 PM
link   
They need to test that douchebag in Seattle RIGHT NOW! 6 seconds from first contact and that poor whittler was dead. Seems like a perfect match to 'roid brained policing.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:47 PM
link   
From OP's source:

A lawyer for an 84-year-old Florida man who had his neck broken in September when he was thrown to the ground sought to get the Orlando police officer involved in the incident tested for steroids. The request was denied by the department, which claimed the test would violate the officer's rights.

Testing in law enforcement -- much the way it is in professional sports -- is a touchy subject. Like pro ballplayers, officers are usually protected by unions, and drug testing is often used as a bargaining chip. A majority of departments have random testing for street drugs like coc aine and heroin, but few also test regularly for steroids.

Unions are such a front!

Because of their powers, there should be *no* comparison between law enforcement officers and professional athletes!!

"Obviously, we have zero tolerance for any kind of drug use," said Jim Pasco, executive director of the Fraternal Order of Police, an organization that has about 350,000 members spread across some 2,100 chapters. "But just like anybody else, we believe officers have a right to due process, and we want to safeguard them from any (unnecessary) investigations."

Law enforcement officials also cite the cost of testing for steroids as another reason such screenings aren't universal.

Just add steriod testing to the mix.... As a taxpayer, I would support this "cost" to "protect the public" from its so called LE "protectors."

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:15 PM
link   
What a cop out for the Orlando police officer. Every job I've had I had to sign waivers giving my employer the right to drug test me at anytime, I do believe LEO should live up to the same standards. Now I'm unemployed, can't drive and on probation so I still have to submit to drug tests that I have to pay for with money I don't have. It is total garbage that a LEO that does something aggressive is protected, while if someone like me smoke a joint will go to jail.

I do believe that nationwide LEO should be routinely tested for steroids, amphetamines, narc pain killers, and coc aine. Given my life experience I do think an alarming number of LEO abuse the above drugs. I applaud the DEA for their work in outing a major problem in LEO today.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:29 PM
link   
Qreply to post by DimensionalDetective

I would much rather have a fit but possibly angry officer than a fat slob lazy officer patrol my neighborhood protecting my family while I'm at work...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:11 PM
link   
"Big Problem"

I see what you did there!

But this does seem to be a cause for concern in certain areas. Smaller towns like where I grew up in TX not so much as there isn't really a need for officers to undergo such (what are they gonna do beat the sh*t out of the local drunk or high school kid speeding down the road?). But in places like Los Angeles and other major cities, it doesn't really shock me that such things are happening.

When they are dealing with people that are equally as messed up on substances, they need to have some sort of way to match that power. Not that it should be justified, it just doesn't really surprise me at all.

top topics

join