It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

World: 0 - HIV/AIDS: 1

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:58 PM
link   
A frightening but almost expected article about the rise of HIV/AIDS in Africa and Asia. According to a UN report, the world is losing the battle against AIDS. Sure 5 million out of 8 billion is 1/16 of a percent (?), but the numbers will most likely rise exponentially.

content.health.msn.com
July 6, 2004 -- The numbers are staggering: Five million people became infected with HIV last year, more people than any previous year. Nearly 38 million adults and children are living with HIV worldwide. While Africa continues to be hit hard, Asia has the fastest-growing new epidemic.

Those figures were unveiled today in a new report from UNAIDS, the Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS. The report was released in advance of the 15th International AIDS Conference to be held July 11 to 16 in Bangkok, Thailand.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

This does not surprise me at all we are fighting a losing battle. I remeber in Judge Dread they talked about how AIDS was only the begining. With the cases of Asia and Africa (the most populated areas on the planet) rising, its scary to think of how soon it will reach Europe anf the US. LEts hope by the time it does, the world leaders will realize how important research is. However, after seeing Bowling for Columbine and its talks about the government controlling the media to instill fear in the hearts of Americans, should the world take this seriously? It is just blown out of proportion?

[edit on 7-7-2004 by John bull 1]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 11:56 PM
link   
Maybe the US doesnt think its a big problem?
I'm only 16 and i know people will knock the US for always being dumb about this stuff...but i believe that soon they will take action..
what they should do is have a serious action..like make EVERYONE get a test in a certain week..have stations at work, at school, everywhere...
well thats the obvious way...but then with all the people with aids that are spotted...medicine is gonna be expensive :-\. IDK lol...but something needs to happen...

[edit on 6-7-2004 by sheaisdumb]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:03 AM
link   
The US is too busy putting our money to military and the liberation in Iraq to worry about AIDS on a large scale.

Maybe we can stop making war and start worrying about problems that happen even in the most civilized of societies...

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by xenophanes85
With the cases of Asia and Africa (the most populated areas on the planet) rising, its scary to think of how soon it will reach Europe anf the US. LEts hope by the time it does, the world leaders will realize how important research is.

I doubt it will ever go as bad in Europe/North America as it will go/has gone in Asia and Africa.

[edit on 7-7-2004 by TheSwordMaster]

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by TheSwordMaster
I doubt it will ever go as bad in Europe/North America as it will go/has gone in Asia and Africa.
[edit on 7-7-2004 by TheSwordMaster]

Yes and no, the problem is that AIDS is now survivable with expensive drug therapy so people do not feel its the threat that it once was. So the rates are going up again. We are lucky that the US/Europe strain is not as easily transmitted by hetrosexual sex as is the african/asian strains of the disease. I don't think we have seen the worst yet in Africa. India and China are showing signs of outbreaks as well. Its going to be intersting as Africa decends further and further into this epidemic. I feel that we have reached the point that there is little hope of meaninfull intervention in Africa from a cure standpoint. You may just have to try to stop the spread.

new topics

top topics

join