It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

South Korea planning for unification with North Korea in 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   

South Korea planning for unification with North Korea in 2011

english.chosun.com

N.Korea Policy to Shift from Engagement to Reunification

The (South Korean) government is to start fully fledged preparations for reunification with North Korea next year, in a signal shift from the traditional emphasis on stability and cross-border exchanges to a more aggressive vision for the future.

A senior official on Sunday said the Unification Ministry will brief President Lee Myung-bak on Wednesday on its objectives for next year, which will be focused on preparations for reunification.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:54 AM
link   
I wonder how Kimmy will take the news?....

I'm sure there has always been an action plan for post-war Korea for total unification; even with a willing NK Administration it would take a full decade, or longer, to full unify the countries.

However, this can never happen, IMO, unless the NK regime is crushed and crumbled. The war and post-war rebuilding would take a decade, or longer, alone.. So all in all it may be another 20+ years for unification even if war broke out today.

I wonder what would become of, what's left, of the NK Army? Would it be a "Defense Force" the Japanese?... Would it China or U.S shadowed?..

Lots of questions.

english.chosun.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:59 AM
link   
does that mean they will finally sign this treaty to end the 50 yrs war ?

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:01 AM
link   
At best, the western education imparted upon the new Leader will convince him enough that reentering talks with the south, gaining the trust of the world and fully complying with the nuclear limitations will benefit himself, his nation, and most of all his beleaguered, and extremely resilient population.

At worst, they see it as the opportunity to launch the sacred war they were talking about and the world is pulled into a quagmire of dung.

Will be interesting to see how this plays out.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:18 AM
link   
So what you have posted is saying, South Korea are ready to topple the North Korean dictators, replace the leaders with democratic leaders and reunite Korea?

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Yeah, right, sure.......

Only over Kim Jung ill and Un's cold dead bodies would they EVER let that happen.....

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:34 AM
link   
reply to post by thecinic

That might be part of the plan... And from my vantage point.. Would be a necessary and welcomed part of the plan.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:54 PM
link   
Why would North Korea say no to this compromise?

Perhaps if the US still insists on meddling with Korean affairs.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Have you ever posted ANY post, that did not some how implicate the US in the subject? Where is your friend Oozy? oh thats right.. taken out like the trash!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:43 PM
link   
If they destroy North Korea and make it to join forcefully with the south Korea the next target will be China and Russia, Japan is a acting as a resupply base.

don't you understand what the elites are doing? or planning.
edit on 27-12-2010 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Good no war means peace and just when you think it's all peace on Earth
BOOM!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Won't happen.

1) Re-unification would crush the economy. SK's economy is strong, but not strong enough to take on that kind of extra burden. The costs involved in upgrading the power grid alone would be devastating.

2) NKoreans are, by Chinese and SKorean accounts (the two countries that deal with the most refugees) uneducated to the point of being unsuitable for anything but manual labour - being able to operate a tractor is a specialty. Integrating that workforce into the largely post-secondary educated SKorean workforce would create something akin to a slave class. Or peasantry. It will take generations to reverse that, and an investment of billions into education and training alone.

3) NKoreans are, by all accounts, under the impression that (a) Juche is the only philosophy worth following and (b) the standard of living and way of life that they currently have is the best in the world. Convincing them otherwise - ie that they should accept the authority of a government that doesn't subscribe to Juche ideals and that people elsewhere have things like running water and electricity 24/7 would be problematic at best, catastrophic at worst. There's no precedent for anything like this: no cold war Eastern European regime had anything close to the combination of social, cultural and economic isolation AND acceptance that exists in North Korea.

I could go on, but I think that covers the biggest issues. Reunification won't happen with any kind of Berlin Wall moment. It can't. Perhaps with a few decades of easing in, gradual investment and so on, but that's already been happening - and the status quo remains.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:24 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

We all certainly know how unrealistic this is for all the reasons already stated and more. However: for just this once I would like to hold onto the hope that this extremely dangerous corner of our world could find a way to tame itself with or without considerable outside influence. A lot could be learned for the betterment of mankind.

Sure, not likely, but I will cross my fingers.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Resurrectio

Have you ever posted ANY post, that did not some how implicate the US in the subject? Where is your friend Oozy? oh thats right.. taken out like the trash!

What are you, the post police? It's not my fault that some other posters may agree that the US has created vast disparity all over the world through emperical ambitions. Korea is no different.

Notice the only thing similar to Oozy and myself? We're not American. We're able to hold real opinions about US ambitions. I'll never shut up as long as the US strives for war to profit from.

You don't see the problem with the Americans conducting joint exercises with ROK forces? Or American media invading Korea in hopes of a monopoly of war coverage of a potential war?

The US creates war. If the US would mind its own business then reunification may be achieved without pools of bloodshed. Do you get my point? If there needs to be an arbiter involved then it is up to the UN, not the US that clearly pushes for its own interests wherever it goes. The DPRK and ROK have no place for the US, and the sooner the US leaves the quicker a real resolution will be found between the two Koreas.

For over 50 years the US has occupied Korea, and they are still at war. Coincidence?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by Resurrectio

What are you, the post police? It's not my fault that some other posters may agree that the US has created vast disparity all over the world through emperical ambitions. Korea is no different.

Notice the only thing similar to Oozy and myself? We're not American. We're able to hold real opinions about US ambitions. I'll never shut up as long as the US strives for war to profit from.

You don't see the problem with the Americans conducting joint exercises with ROK forces? Or American media invading Korea in hopes of a monopoly of war coverage of a potential war?

The US creates war. If the US would mind its own business then reunification may be achieved without pools of bloodshed. Do you get my point? If there needs to be an arbiter involved then it is up to the UN, not the US that clearly pushes for its own interests wherever it goes. The DPRK and ROK have no place for the US, and the sooner the US leaves the quicker a real resolution will be found between the two Koreas.

For over 50 years the US has occupied Korea, and they are still at war. Coincidence?

The US creates war? You are going to have to back that crap up because thats BS. I can tell you for a fact that wars have come and gone long before US was even born. And many of the wars that has existed in the 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st was not instigated by the U.S.

And no doubt that the South Korea would have been successfully conquered by NK if the U.S. and the UN was not there for them. Had they pulled out, North Korea would not have hesitated to invade again. With a dictator in the North and a democratic in the South, I'm surprise you think its possible to achieve unification through peaceful means. Do you believe that Kim is going to give up power to allow NK to be unified under South Korean rule?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:33 PM
link   
^

I'm awaiting his reply as well....

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:44 PM
link   
reply to post by CanadianDream420

I dunno. This "union" business seems to be catchy.

Remember the North American Union (NAU)? The US has already signed with Mexico, and supposedly will sign with Canada in January 2011.

...It's a team thing, corporate style mergers.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:40 PM
link   
Seoul hints at talks with N.K., stresses preparing for unity

www.koreaherald.com...

President Lee had recently repeated calls for “stronger military preparation,” warning merciless retaliation to any further provocations by Pyongyang and never mentioning the possibility of resuming talks.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Let me be very clear... If the US wasn't standing behind SK right now, NK would have unleashed hell on that peninsula already. Let me guess, you think the only reason that little rat Kim is crazy is somehow the US fault? Laughable, if that is what you think.

My problem is ... No matter what subject or what roll the US takes in the subject.. You just like Oozy used to, will throw a curve ball that will go right around logical straight to "America is evil" and "booo America"

Someone MIGHT be able to find a handful of your posts that aren't America bashing posts..

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by deltaboy
The US creates war? You are going to have to back that crap up because thats BS. I can tell you for a fact that wars have come and gone long before US was even born. And many of the wars that has existed in the 18th, 19th, 20th, 21st was not instigated by the U.S.

And no doubt that the South Korea would have been successfully conquered by NK if the U.S. and the UN was not there for them. Had they pulled out, North Korea would not have hesitated to invade again. With a dictator in the North and a democratic in the South, I'm surprise you think its possible to achieve unification through peaceful means. Do you believe that Kim is going to give up power to allow NK to be unified under South Korean rule?

I never said the US creates ALL war. I said they create war. They use war or other disasters as a means to take over other countries economically, politically, or with military force.

The US has hostile foreign policies. They do not profit from peace and neutral diplomacy.

Let me be very clear... If the US wasn't standing behind SK right now, NK would have unleashed hell on that peninsula already. Let me guess, you think the only reason that little rat Kim is crazy is somehow the US fault? Laughable, if that is what you think.

My problem is ... No matter what subject or what roll the US takes in the subject.. You just like Oozy used to, will throw a curve ball that will go right around logical straight to "America is evil" and "booo America"

Someone MIGHT be able to find a handful of your posts that aren't America bashing posts..

Who says Kim Jong-Il is crazy? It seems like a common tactic for Americans to refer to their enemies as less-human than they are. They probably got this tactic from all of the Nazi social-engineers that they acquired after WWII.

This might come as a shock to you, but what I speak is common and even educated discussion from where I come from, which isn't the US. You can claim whatever you want, but we are able to view the US from the outside and we know what the situation is. It doesn't take an idiot to look at world history since 1945 and see that the US has been instigating armed conflict, political coups, assassinations and global propaganda wherever they see an opening to spread influence.

You can call me an American basher all you want. Typical Americans have called me that for many years, because they can't seem to handle reality and would rather attack me because they can't defend against the facts that I speak of. The term for this is called "American Exceptionalism", because it seems like most Americans genuinely believe that they are the superior culture on Earth and everyone must either assimilate to their image or be left in the dust.

I, for one, believe in a unified world order. The US and its brainwashed population believe in a US-led world order. See the problem yet? The world isn't America. You may not like my "bashing", but it is my area of expertise; it is what I am trained to understand and spread to anyone who cares about the world's future.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join