It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

PNG Format?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I tried searching for this, but Boolean isn't as helpful as it probably should be. Why isn't the .png format supported? Its smaller than .jpg and much, much better quality. Is there a problem with algorithm licensing?

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:33 PM
link   
I have the same question. I'm a Photoshop guy and I usually use PNG for web graphics because, as you said it is smaller and higher quality.

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 10:37 PM
link   
If I remember correctly...a while ago IE had problems viewing PNG format...it couldnt render the Alpha Transparency...maybe thats why they didnt allow them and it just hasnt been updated. There is also a vulnerability with the PNG file type that can allow it to execute malicious code.

[Edited on 8-7-2004 by dreamlandmafia]

posted on Jul, 8 2004 @ 11:25 PM
link   
IE to the best of my knowledge still doesnt like PNGs that great. As for the vulnerability which was made known in 2003, I _think_ patches have been issued, but wether or not everyone has applied them is a different story.

< offtopic > at this point I think end users need to start taking some responsibility for their machines and the security on them, if you get caught without the latest patches, it should be your fault as the owner of the machine.

posted on Jul, 9 2004 @ 03:52 AM
link   
Well, I'm using IE, and it shows up fine ... second of all, my avatar is hosted on my personal webspace, and they might not allow remote linking.

new topics

top topics

join