It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Year's resolution: I quit!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   

New Year's resolution: I quit!

money.cnn.com

NEW YORK (CNNMoney.com) -- Employers watch out: Your workers can't wait to quit.

According to a recent survey by job-placement firm Manpower, 84% of employees plan to look for a new position in 2011. That's up from just 60% last year.

Most employees have sat tight through the recession, not even considering other jobs because so few firms were hiring. For the past few years, the Labor Department's quits rate, which serves as a barometer of workers' ability to change jobs, has hovered near a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:39 AM
link   
Hell Yeah!!! I'm in the 84% group! I can't wait to be in the position to tell them to take this job and shove it!!

I have contacts in a industry that was Rocked by the economy then by bad press after bailouts started.

The job I have is a complete mess, and if it wasn't for stupid people and disposable income they would be in serious trouble.

I'm going to work then rework my resume, but I'm going to take my time with the job search, I want something better than what I have now, but more importantly I want to work for a company I can believe in. That's most likely a myth but whatever.

money.cnn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Here's a good saying on your way out. To despicable boss - " You want a two weeks notice? OK, In two weeks you will notice that I have not been here for two weeks."

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:57 AM
link   
I guess I missed the part where there were going to be a lot of open positions to be filled by these people that will be quiting in 2011. Last I checked the US economy was still in a tail spin, debt spending was still out of control, and the world was planning on dropping the US Dollar as the reserve currency. I'd try to hold on to that job in 2011 if I were you.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:01 AM
link   
reply to post by ararisq

If money becomes next to worthless, what would be the point of working for dollars?

I think the old guy with the trailer and 38 acres horses, dogs that's being evicted from his own property is the way to go. I'd love being a sort of farmer, aqua-farmer.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by LDragonFire

I quit my job in a recession once. It was a pretty good job, too. I just wanted to take another career path. In retrospect, I probably should have held onto the job. It was very hard to find another one.

However, I can also relate to being in a job that sucks, where you can't wait to see your boss and your workplace in the rear-view mirror. My advice, as far as I can offer it, is to try to have another job lined up first before you turn in your resignation. Just my take on things.

Best wishes to you whatever you decide. Life is too short to spend it being miserable.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:31 PM
link   
So where are the jobs? i still don't see a recovery.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:51 PM
link   
I hope there is a huge walk out in my field.....I need a job!

OT: I heard about a town where the Governor was boasting about bringing in a hi tech company that will provide many jobs, sadly he doesn't say that the town is predominately a blue collar town. No one there is qualified for the jobs. Just felt like sharing.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Well, well. Time to play the "real story" game. Is the reality of this story:
A. We are in a sustained recovery and these people actually are going to quit and quickly find jobs in fields and positions they will be happier in.
B. Complete horsecrap orchestrated by the government & labor department to point towards as a sign the economy is clearly improving because nobody would consider quitting their job if they didn't believe a replacement job was imminent.
C. Complete horsecrap orchestrated by corporate America (and likely the government) with an eye towards pushing current employees out the door only doing so under the auspices of "the employee wasn't fired... they quit." so the government can claim American workers are failing themselves rather than the system failing the workers AND the same now unemployed workers will be uneligible for unemployment assistances because, hey, they quit.

I say C... but then I tend to be a bit more pessimistic of this so-called recovery when nobody has seen any tangible evidence of it and every single sign points towards the concept being bogus.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Personally, I've never understood why anyone would want to keep a job they don't enjoy.
I've never had a job I enjoyed but to be fair, I quit trying after the first one.
Being broke and happy always seemed more interesting than being in a J(ust) O(ver) B(roke) and miserable.
Once I'd got that one down pat, it didn't take long to realize that having a Job was just about the worst way ever invented to be financially secure, let alone financially free. It did take 17 years to turn the realization into reality, but the journey was fun in retrospect.

My advice: quit now and start doing what you love. You'll need far less money, will probably make more than you do now, and you'll never work another day in your life

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

I say D .. the vast majority of people employed by temp to hire firms like "manpower" (which isn't one of the largest) work menial low paying jobs, or else semi-professional job in which 1/3 of their income goes to "the firm" and thus are severely under paid.

There are far more people working crappy jobs than good ones.. 84% saying they want a better job, no surprising..

My job did a world wide survey of it's own people last month, I blatantly told them I'd quit and join a competitor for even a dollar raise.

There is no job loyalty when your under paid, over worked and not appreciated.

top topics

join