It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Practical, Everyday Survivalist: An Overview...

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
OK

Let's get started shall we?

(I will answer some posts later)

The first and foremost thing that should be in your mind is the word.. Practical..

If you are living a normal life, and most of us are, and you start something or buy something impractical; you will not continue with it.. That is a psychological fact...

Some things to consider..

1. Size of your house, apartment or room
2. Do you have a personal space
3. Is it secure
4. Local, state or regional laws
and of course
5. MONEY

1 and 2. Whatever you buy has to fit within the confines of your available space. I personally just built a large house and it is just the wife and I now, so I have been able to dedicate a full room to my survival articles and training materials. Whatever you have will have to make do. If all you have is a space under your bed, you can make it work; trust me. In the Marines, many times on an overseas deployment, we were given a cot and the space under it held all we were allowed to posses.. We made do fine in some serious survival situations you are not likely to encounter.

3. Make sure you have someway of securing it from intrusion.. Does not have to be a safe, just a nice pad lock will normally suffice.. Remember that locks keep out honest people because you can not ever deter a serious thief... Just keep it safe from casual mischief makers..

4. Laws... If you can't own a firearm, all is not lost by any means..(We will discuss firearms later) A good knife is the single best thing you will ever possess. Make sure you put some money into it and I am serious about this. Cut corners on other things, but the knife needs to be quality. Full tang, nice thick blade, good solid handle that wont rub a blister with continued use. Here is a good example of a good usable knife.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/aa6f4eca9530.jpg[/atsimg]

Under a hundred dollars, full tang, nice thick blade and comfortable handle..

Also get a nice solid folder for your pocket.. Same quality standards apply sans full tang of course.. I like Gerber, but any of the other quality ones will do.. Buck, Schrade, CaseXX etc..

5. MONEY.. Never start any of this without a budget. Figure how much you want to spend on your kit each month, or every other month and stick to it.. Example.. If you plan on spending 50usd each month, figure two months for the knife, shop around, find what you want and save for it. You will not be disappointed.

In closing get yourself a nice small military style trunk that will hold one set of survival clothes, (We will cover that later) a nice utility belt, (Also later) your knives, gun or guns if applicable with holsters for the knives and guns, three days worth of food. MREs are GREAT, but if you can not get them, canned tuna, salmon and chicken are always good.. Figure 2000 calories a day and pack accordingly..HIGH Protein!!!. I know that is minimal especially under stress, but it will suffice to get you established. And of course a good pack. I use the standard ALICE Military pack, but there are 100s of options; just save up and get a good one.

Next to keep it exciting I will talk about a vehicle.. (On a budget no less)

Semper

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Seems practical enough for starters..

Point taken.

Know your budget, space available, 2000 calories a day will suffice.

Get a good knife.

Forgot about the military pack... I need to do some research on that, I guess a few book bags will not do.

edit on 27-12-2010 by thecinic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:47 PM
link   
Good thread, Semper. I have a nice head start on a lot of this, but will be watching closely.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by semperfortis

US Marines and survival...like peas and carrots. Im an 'ol grunt Corporal from 3/3 that works for State LE now. Semper Fi. Had my rear slung into every triple canopy jungle in SE Asia. Survival there was fun, and sure taught me a hell of alot as far as jungle survival and tactics. The same can be applied to heavy to light wooded areas with decent water sources. S&F you started a great post here. Im doing well to leave it at that, I have all those years of knowledge and experience built up in my memory screaming to get out!! As we all know each different terrain model requires different means, I hope we will dive into it all! Ill be checking in again soon. Also, please address some ideas for our site members that live outside the US and are not able to buy or obtain firearms for self protection.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:40 PM
link   

chiming in again sorry, saw your bit on the ALICE pack, also consider the mountain ruck. I have two of these big puppies ready to roll. You can fit roughly double in a mountain ruck that you can in an ALICE pack, and still hump it for long distances.

*TIP* Also on a ALICE or mtn ruck, as long as you have a METAL FRAME, take some 550 chord and braid it TIGHT. About 2 foot worth once braided is good to go that will give you plenty to play with. When its braided tie it on the top of the metal frame so it acts as a grab strap/handle. We even took some OD green duct tape and wrapped that 500 chord so snags would not happen because of the braids and it helps to keep it stiff and open - ready to grab. Sometimes you dont have time to pick it up and throw it on your back. Having a ready handle big enough to get a gloved hand through will be a life saver (seriously) sometimes - grab and run.
edit on 27-12-2010 by Victor03 because: correcting spelling

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:01 PM
link   
A good, heavy, quality knife and the means to maintain it's sharpness is a very good start. Another very handy tool will be a machete. Remember that the longer the machete, the greater the velocity in the swing, as well as an increase in mass. Meaning - longer is better and won't wear you out using it.

I served in Special Forces and also served in combat with a Ranger company in Vietnam and in Alaska in Company O, Arctic Rangers. Water is critical. It's also very, very heavy.

I used a millennia old technology - silver in my canteens. When you have the opportunity to cook or boil water, put the silver piece in the mix. It cooks off minute quantities of silver, enhancing your ability to ward off infections. Same goes for copper. If you can also boil a gold piece or gold nugget, you'll stay sharp of mind. Then rinse them off and back into the canteens.

A more modern addition that is expensive, but could be a lifesaver is a quality water filter, such as those made by Katadyne. In such a manner, one can provide for thousands of gallons of drinkable water without having to carry it.

You drink bad water, you get sick. And if you are sick in a SHTF situation, you're pretty much screwed.

Food - you can do without for a while.

Water - no.

Another rule of thumb is that if a creek is flowing pretty good, it's likely that the water is good to go as it's getting plenty of oxygen which kills bacteria.

A stagnant pond? Boil it or purify it chemically or filter it. That's the stuff that if it doesn't get you killed, will make you wish you were dead.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:45 PM
link   
reply to post by circuitsports

Good luck finding anyone who's willing to share rations or go above and beyond for a stranger. I hope you have some family or a friend who's willing to lay down their life for you. In the scenario that these things become needed, you're SOL unless the aforementioned support system is available. I hate to seem mean, but this is reality, not a movie.

However, the a last ditch effort, good offense is a good defense. Fortification, surveillance, and food/water/protection would be my bets. However, they'll only last so long, so you had better have a plan to get yourself mobile on your own, regardless of illness or situation.
edit on 27-12-2010 by Xterrain because: to add on of course...

I'd also like to add that I am NOT immobile.
edit on 28-12-2010 by Xterrain because: just a note

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:54 PM
link   

1st my bob is a nice hiking pack
2nd in an emergency no car needed but i have 1 or 2
3rd my weapons are no guns im a felon so i cant have guns by law w/e but i have, 1 small machete, 1 boys axe 26 inches, bowie knife 16 inches, a badass machete wrapped with 50 ft 550 para cord on handle, 1 knife that has a straight knife non serrated, a gut nife and a small tree or limb saw. i also have my firefighters knife and extra bowie rambo knife and a compound bow.
4th ive lived in the pacific northwest all my life and have been an outdoors man so i got skills but along wit hthat i always want a tree identifieing book (sic) edible palnts of the pacific northwest and fungi and all the poisinous plants around here. i also would say carry a medicinal plant book with you 4 your area theres many great native indian books on herbal medicinals. other than that just get general knowledge of your area from bottom to top.
5th as i said b4 i live in a rainforrest practice is easy. but go out camp with others and by ya self to learn and learn about your enviroment around you and bring a note book 4 sho to take notes and if u want clip plants and preserve them for id later its good for you trust me.
6th if possible go into ya woods localy and get a jist of whats around you and how to adapt to it and live off of it it takes time remember were not cave men we just want to be. patients is a good thing to have in the wild.
7th before i said alwasy no ya medicinal herbs around you they can and will save lifes if needed. walk around w/e ya at and collect plant specimans and take clear tape and tape em to a note book so you can save em for study later they may look alien but pick up a book about ya local palnts and you will be amazed its pretty easy to ud plants good from bad just takes a lil brain power.
8th my fav food gathering. be a hunter an animal patients understanding a nd persaverance will pay off me i have 180 ft of military snare wire in my bag so im good learn about snaring trapping and other primative ways of procurring food.
and for the rest ive got med supplies and im talkin suture kits and what not alot of paracord, carabiners, tarps, gloves, thermals, a cpl mres all the fireestarters u need no matches tho w/e 2 compasses bleach 4 water or you can use iodine bleach has a shelf life so be warry, um more paracord bag full of antiboitics pills 4 pain and tums but it aint a big deal hand sanitizer its a good fire starter, cooking utensils, hand crank radio wich i luv, a tent, 1000 mile an hr tape plus ducttape its godly, camo clothes heat blanket, ponchos, hemp twine, more rope,emergency whistle with compass buddy burners an old coleman gas single burner stove, if i forgot anything i may remember 2morrow but great thread survival is a key knowdayz. the ones that arent ready are gna be the ones rioting and causing chaos. imma be in the woods get n me sum! oh and knowledge of how to field dress small and large game its vital if u wanna survive oh and shelter biulding is very important no how to biuld a lean too or w/e u desire but it must keep you warm and safe. knowledge of firecraft is essential # a lighter i have many bics but a bow drill will save you in time of need or even another primative way of firecraft will help. as for storing in the wild its up to u dig yaself down to the frost line and make a lil box for ya food or build a walk in like the old days or w/e its called.any more info is great hurz my 2 scents!

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:36 AM
link   

I have been working on bug-out bags, protection, education, training, and the vehicle for some time. I have ONE question; is 4x4 and/or diesel absolutely necessary? Before I saw all the signs clearly, a year and a half ago i bought a new truck and didn't have the need for a 4x4. However, I did see it fit to opt for the long bed and the 4 doors as well as the larger displacement 3.3L V6 as opposed to a 4-banger in my mid-sized truck. It also has auxilary lighting on the roof, a roof rack with cargo net, and is soon to have a full bed camper shell. Its white for now, but if D-Day comes (and it will as people begin to panic about nothing happening in 2012) I have a few cans of various flat earth tones to give her a nice makeover. (is this a good idea?)

I know I'm bouncing around a few subjects at a time, but maybe you could use my questions as a catalyst and elaborate for everyone in response.

I have two bug-out packs for me (a Osprey internal frame Atmos 65 (65 litre) that has my light weather 2 person tent, 20F sleeping bag, sleeping pad, rain covers (torso and legs), small survival kit (mirror, compass, matches, whistle, emergency blanket, parachord), and 2 liter water bladder as well as a multitool and spare folder and flashlight and lighter. Spare room for 12 days worth of MRE's. (thinking of swapping for a stronger external frame pack? Good idea?

My second bug-out pack is an OGIO, made of ballistics nylon, it has another 2 liter water bladder, a small tool kit, another folder knife, batteries, flashlights, matches, lighters, magnesium stick w/ striker.

I also have a 3rd bug-out pack for my girlfriend who sees the signs as well. Small enough for her to carry but big enough to be practical and carry her sleeping bag, 9mm side arm, ammo, water, and some food.

...while I'm here...

Firearms:

I have several to choose from, but I think my primary would be my hunting rig. Bolt-action Mossberg ATR 100 30-06 on bi-pod with sling and variable scope, sited for 180 yards (I can dial in 5 shots in 1 inch spread). I also have a pump shottie.

Just looked at a S&W .40 Sigma (same as Glock but has a better mag catch and a metal mag which adds lifespan to it) Would I be smarter to go for the 9mm version or the higher punch .40? I think 9mm ammo is easiest to get ahold of in quantity, but less ammo is more when staying mobile, and the .40s count when they make contact.

Also, what knife is that in the picture you posted?

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 01:41 AM
link   
Well, I answered one of my questions myself with a little research. I'm sticking to the 9mm's. Maybe a slightly smaller round, but with the right grain and placement of the shot, it has just as much 'stopping power' as the .40 with less recoil, lighter loud-out, and ability to carry an extra couple rounds in the mag.

However, I would like a few points made about my other questions. Thanks a ton and S&F for you OP.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by WickettheRabbit
S&F also from me. If you can do a little focus on "suburban base camp" survival, I would really appreciate it. I don't live on 40 acres in rural WV. I live in the suburbs of a major midwest city. Telling me to get up "the mountain" doesn't apply.

190 acres actually, here. =]

Looking forward to this thread.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 05:45 AM
link   

Good thread...I learned how to sew, bought a commercial machine and make my own field gear...might be handy to have durable fabric and know how to sew..my machine can run w/o elec..just a thought..oh..stainless is wonderful.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:00 AM
link   
the only thing i'm interested in is how to survive a nuclear winter. because that's the only scenario i can think of, apart from planecrashes and getting lost in the woods, that the majority of people in america will encounter WTSHTF.

1000 chinese nuclear warheads hitting american soil pretty much trumps a rucksack with a can of tuna in it.
edit on 28-12-2010 by randomname because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by labouton

Another issue would be the survival of those that can't leave their urban dwelling due to age, illness, etc.

The absolute best book ever on urban survival is Cody Lundin's "When All Hell Breaks Loose":

www.amazon.com...=sr_1_3?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1293538393&sr=1-3

Fact is, this is the best book overall on survival in about all settings. With 450 pages packed with invaluable knowledge.

edit on 28-12-2010 by romanmel because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:23 AM
link   
If you personally have a fatalist view on survival, neither I nor anyone else can help you. Maybe this thread, or even this forum, is not for you.

I have personally found myself in survival situations all over the world and the skills I learned in the Marines and on my own have saved me more than once.

In that situation, my can of tuna trumps everything..

Semper

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
the only thing i'm interested in is how to survive a nuclear winter. because that's the only scenario i can think of, apart from planecrashes and getting lost in the woods, that the majority of people in america will encounter WTSHTF.

1000 chinese nuclear warheads hitting american soil pretty much trumps a rucksack with a can of tuna in it.
edit on 28-12-2010 by randomname because: (no reason given)

IOSAT would be a good thing to have to protect in the first few days following a nuclear attack. A 14 day supply for eleven bucks is a cheap investment...

beprepared.com...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 06:32 AM
link   
You don't need this..

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1848afb8af3b.jpg[/atsimg]

But it could not hurt..

Let's face it, a vehicle is nothing but a luxury, but a nice luxury none the less.

4 wheel drive
Small lift kit for obstacles
Skid plates
Raised intake or snorkel
Extra Fuel Tank
Good solid hard tires
Good spare, or two, with repair kit and knowledge on fixing tires
Hitch
Lots of storage room
Tinted windows

If you make it to where you plan on staying, this will be invaluable, but be prepared to abandon it if need be. The practical application of this is tremendous as I use it as an everyday vehicle and a vacation vehicle as well.

The gas mileage on this monster sucks to say the least, so I would recommend something like a Subaru if it is within your budget..Yet even with the bad gas mileage I have more than enough to make it to my property in West Virginia..

Semper

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:39 AM
link   
12-MONTH FAMILY DISASTER PLANNING GUIDE
***12 Month Plan***
*For as little as $10-15.00 every other week you can be prepared!
Purchase:
Water -3 gallons per person and pet
Hand-operated can opener and bottle opener
Instant drinks (coffee, tea, powdered soft drinks)
2 flashlights with batteries
Activities:
Make your family disaster preparedness plan*
Inventory disaster supplies already on hand, especially
camping gear
If you fill your own water containers if they are not dated
Conduct a home hazard hunt*
Month 2 Purchase:
Canned meat, stew, or pasta meal – 5 per person
Sanitary napkins
Videotape
Family – size first aid kit
Activities:
Change battery and test smoke detector (purchase and
install a detector if you don’t have one)
Videotape your home, including contents, for insurance
purposes. Store the tape with friends or family who live out of town.
Month 3 Purchase:
Canned fruit 3 cans per person
Any foods for special dietary needs (enough for 3 days)
2 rolls of toilet paper per person
Crescent wrench(es) (or utility shutoff tools) Activities:
Conduct a home fire drill
Check with your child’s day care or school to find out about
their disaster plans
Locate gas meter and water shutoff points and attach/store
wrench or shutoff tool near them
Establish an out-of-state contact to call in case of
emergency

Your supplies may be stored together in one large container, such as a garbage can on wheels, or several small ones Food items could be kept on a specific shelf in the pantry.

Month 4 Purchase:
Canned vegetables -4 per person
Extra baby bottles, formula, and diapers, if needed
Extra pet supplies, food, collar, leash
Large storage containers(s) for preparedness supplies
Activities:
Place a sturdy pair of shoes and a flashlight under
your bed so that they will be handy during an
emergency
Place a supply of prescription medicine(s) and date if
not already indicated on its label
Start putting supplies in storage container(s) and
include blankets or sleeping bags for each family
Month 5 Purchase:
Canned, ready-to-eat soup - 2 per person
Liquid dish soap
Plain liquid bleach
Portable am/fm radio (including batteries)
Antibacterial liquid hand soap
Disposable hand wipes
Activities:
Make photo copies of important papers and put in the storage container
Talk with neighbors to find out who may have skills or training that would be beneficial after a disaster (i.e., first aid, child care, amateur radio, tree removal, small engine repair, heavy equipment operations, wilderness survival, light rescue, carpentry)
Examples of Food Items:
Select based on your family’s preferences
Pick low-salt, water-packed varieties when possible
Canned meat ~ tuna, chicken raviolis, chili, stew, Spam, corned beef, etc.
Vegetables ~ green beans, corn, peas, beets, baked beans, carrots, etc.
Fruit ~ pears, applesauce, mandarin oranges, pineapple, etc.
Month 6 Purchase:
Quick-energy snacks (granola bars, raisins, peanut butter)
6 rolls of paper towels
3 boxes of facial tissue
Sunscreen
Anti-diarrhea medicine
Latex gloves, 6 pairs, (to be out with the first aid kit)
Activities:
Check to see if your stored water has expired and needs to be replace (Replace every 6 months if you filled your own containers Store bought water will have an expiration date on the container)
Put an extra pair of eyeglasses in the supply container
Store a roll of quarters with the emergency supplies and locate the pay phone nearest to your home
Find out about your workplace disaster plans

Month 7 Purchase:
Whistle
ABC fire extinguisher
1 Large can of juice per person
Adult ands children vitamins
A pair of pliers and/or vise grips
Activities:
Take a first aid/CPR class
Identify neighbors who might need help in an emergency, including those with limited mobility or health problems and children who might be alone
Show family members where and how to shut off the utilities
Month 8 Purchase:
Box of crackers or graham crackers
Dry cereal
“Child proof” latches or other fasteners for cabinet doors and drawers
1 Box of large, heavy-duty garbage bags
Camping or utility knife Activities:
Secure shelves, cabinets, and drawers to prevent them from falling and/or opening during earthquakes
Meet with neighbors to inventory expensive equipment that could be shared in the event of an emergency, such as
chain saws, chippers/shredders, utility trailers, snow blowers, and 4-wheel drive vehicles
Month 9 Purchase:
Extra batteries for flashlights, radio, and hearing aids (if needed)
Heavy rope
Duct tape
Crowbar
Activities:
Make a small preparedness kit for your car Include food, water, blanket, small first aid kit, a list of important phone numbers, quarters for pay phones
Secure water heater to wall studs (if not already done)
Month 10 Purchase:
Hammer and assorted nails
Screw drivers and assorted wood screws
Heavy duty plastic tarps or sheets of visquine
Extra toothbrush per person and toothpaste
Activities:
Make arrangements to have someone help your children if you are at work when an emergency occurs
Conduct an earthquake drill at home
Replace prescription medicines as required by expiration dates
Month 11 Purchase:
Package of paper plates
Package of napkins
Package of eating utensils
Package of paper cups
Making tape
Kitchen-size garbage bags (1 box)
Activities:
Make arrangements to have someone to take care of your pets
Exchange work, home, and emergency contact phone numbers with neighbors for use during an emergency
Start a Neighborhood Watch Program if none exists
Month 12 Purchase:
Heavy work gloves
Box of disposable dust masks
Safety goggles Antiseptic
Sewing kit
Activities:
Check to see your stored water has expired and needs to be replaced (Replace every 6 months if you filled your own containers. Store-bought water will have an expiration date on the container)
Check the dates on stored on stored food and replace as needed

*Credit: Emergency Management Institute, FEMA, Homeland Security

edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: credit

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Pt 2: Supplies

Emergency Kit

***Food:
MREs for 3 days
Instant Cereal
Instant Hot Chocolate
Food Bars

***Shelter/Bedding:
Tube Tent
Rain Poncho
Space Blanket
Wool Blanket
Sleeping Bags

***Water:
Water
Water Purification
Tablets

***Sanitation:
Toilet Paper
Soap/Shampoo
Toothbrush/Paste
Personal Hygiene Items

***Heat/Light:
Pocket Hand Warmers
Matches/Candles
Propane Stove
Fire Starter Kit
Flashlight
Gloves

***Misc. Items:
Extra set of Car Keys
Credit Cards and Case
List of Family Physicians
Special Items for Infants, Elderly or Disabled Family
1 Gallon of Water per person per day

***Communications:
Battery Powered Radio/Lighting
Extra Batteries

***First Aid Manual:
Sterile Adhesive Bandages
Sterile Gauze Pads
Hypoallergenic Adhesive Tape
Triangular Bandages
Roller Bandages - 2 & 3 inches
Scissors
Tweezers
Needle
Thermometer
Tongue Blades
Assorted Sizes of Safety Pins
Latex Gloves
Antiseptic Soap
Rubbing Alcohol
Cotton
Disposable Diapers
Insect Repellent
Moistened Towelettes
Antiseptic-Cream
Neosporin
Petroleum Jelly
Aspirin or
Non-Aspirin Pain Reliever
Laxatives
Anti-Diarrhea Medication
Syrup of Ipecac -
To induce vomiting if advised
by Poison Control
Antacid
Sterile Adhesive Bandages
in assorted Sizes
Special Medications for Family
• Prescription and Non- prescription Medicines.
• Tools, Equipment, Supplies (manual can opener, utensils, fire extinguisher, matches, money, batteries, etc.)
• Special Items (baby supplies, pet food, important family documents, etc.)
• Extra Food and Water.
• Camping gear tents, canopies, and cooking stoves, Sleeping bags, cooking equipment, utensils, etc
• Communications gear, especially amateur (ham) or citizen's band radio
• Equipment and tools used for debris removal, home repair, snow removal

• ***Basic Emergency Supply Kit:
• Water, one gallon of water per person per day for at least three days, for drinking and sanitation
• Food, at least a three-day supply of non-perishable food
• Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio/Batteries
• Flashlight and extra batteries
• First aid kit
• Whistle to signal for help
• Dust mask, plastic sheeting, duct tape to shelter-in-place
• Moist towelettes, garbage bags, plastic ties for personal sanitation
• Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
• Can opener for food (if kit contains canned food)
• Local maps
• Cell phone with chargers

• ***Additional Items Emergency Supply Kit:
• Pet food and extra water for your pet
• Important family documents such as copies of insurance policies, identification and bank account records in a waterproof, portable container
• Cash or traveler's checks and change
• Emergency reference material such as a first aid book or information from www.ready.gov
• Complete change of clothing including a long sleeved shirt, long pants and sturdy shoes. Consider additional clothing if you live in a cold-weather climate.
• Household chlorine bleach and medicine dropper – When diluted nine parts water to one part bleach, bleach can be used as a disinfectant. Or in an emergency, you can use it to treat water by using 16 drops of regular household liquid bleach per gallon of water. Do not use scented, color safe or bleaches with added cleaners.
• Fire Extinguisher
• Matches in a waterproof container
• Mess kits, paper cups, plates and plastic utensils, paper towels
• Paper and pencil
• Books, games, puzzles or other activities for children

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Pt 3: Disaster Planning

FAMILY DISASTER PLANNING

Where will you and your family be when disaster strikes? What would you do if
basic services - water, gas, electricity, and telephones - were cut off for long
periods?

Whether faced with a family emergency or a regional disaster, the effort you've
put into family preparedness and disaster planning will play a large role in how
well you "survive" the event. The following steps can help you enhance your
family's preparedness:

1) IDENTIFY THE HAZARDS

Visit the library, contact the American Red Cross or your local Emergency
Manager, and log on to the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA) web site at www.fema.gov... to learn about the hazards in your area.

Winter Storm
Earthquake
Flood
Wildfire
Wind Storm
Landslide
Hazardous Material Spill

2) LEARN HOW THE HAZARDS CAN IMPACT YOUR FAMILY

Assess what the consequences might be for your family when disaster strikes.
Consider the time of day, the day of the week, and time of year.

Injury
Separation
Isolation
Power Outage
Phone Outage
Water Outage
Property Damage

3) IDENTIFY STEPS YOU CAN TAKE TO MINIMIZE OR PREVENT THE HAZARD IMPACTS

Determine procedures and practices you can develop/implement to enhance your
disaster resistance. Consult with the Red Cross, your local Emergency Manager or
FEMA for assistance.

Plans for home escape, neighborhood evacuation, and family communication.
Procedures for drop, cover, and hold, shelter in-place, and utility shutoff.
Training in CPR, basic first aid, and use of a fire extinguisher.
Hazard-resistant construction materials.
Flood proofing, landscaping, and site drainage practices.
Nonstructural earthquake hazard mitigation techniques.
Warning system installation (e.g., smoke detectors.)
Comprehensive hazard insurance for your home and personal property (e g, fire,
flood, and earthquake).
Neighborhood Disaster Resource Inventory

4) IDENTIFY EQUIPMENT AND SUPPLIES YOU'LL NEED TO HELP SURVIVE POTENTIAL CONSEQUENCES

Food and Water.
First Aid Supplies.
Sanitation Supplies.
Clothing and Bedding.
Prescription and Non- prescription Medicines.
Light Sources (flashlights, candles and/ or light sticks).
Tools, Equipment, Supplies (manual can opener, utensils, fire extinguisher,
matches, money, batteries, etc.)
Special Items (baby supplies, pet food, important family documents, etc.)

5) IDENTIFY THE EQUIPMENT, SUPPLIES. PROCEDURES, AND PRACTICES YOU ALREADY HAVE IN PLACE

Camping Gear (sleeping bags, cooking equipment, utensils, etc.).
Fire Escape Plan.
Extra Food and Water.
First Aid Kit.

6) IDENTIFY YOUR SHORTFALLS

What equipment, supplies, procedures, and plans do you need to complete your
family preparedness effort?

7) DEVELOPE A PLAN TO ELIMINATE THE SHORTFALLS

Identify short and long term objectives. For the short term, focus on items that
are low cost or easy to implement and that have high payoff. Some suggestions
include:

Install hazard warning systems such as smoke detectors.
Develop fire escape and neighborhood evacuation plans.
Develop a simple family communications plan such as a wallet card with common numbers to call and important policy numbers.
Develop drop, cover, and hold, utility shutoff, and shelter in-place
procedures.

Attend CPR, basic first aid, and fire extinguisher training.
Begin or expand your disaster supplies kit. Start with basic necessities such
as food, water, light sources, first aid supplies, clothing, and bedding.
Host a neighborhood meeting to exchange preparedness information and ideas.

For the long term, focus on higher cost items or those that are more difficult
to implement. These items might include;

Special tools and equipment.
Structural earthquake mitigation.
Expanded insurance coverage.
Drainage improvements.
Building retrofitting.

TRAIN AND MAINTAIN

Conduct fire evacuation drills.
Test smoke detectors.
Test/recharge fire extinguishers.
Test communications plans.
Practice utility shutoff, drop, cover, and hold, and shelter in-place
procedures.
Replace stored food, water, and medicines before the expiration date.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join