It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

We all make mistakes-- whats' yours??

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Thanks for everybuddies good replies

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:12 AM
link   
The biggest mistake I made was not taking the job the ARMY offered me as an engineer( Yeah they make beau coup bucks both in th military and civilian) WTF was I thinking?

I could have been a six digit earner, now I am thrity something uhhuh you really thought I was gonna disclose

Anyway and made no more than 40,000 any year and struggle like A chump because I went into medical instead of engineering in the Army so now I am hitting the books to earna degree in IT and hopefully somethin will come of that!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 07:28 PM
link   
I'm 24 and whilst I'm still young I'm going to have an almighty scar with my life forever.

My mistake was not going to a collage in Leeds and instead opting for a University in Huddersfield (Same course at both places)

The reason why was purely financial. I was living with who I thought at the time was my best buddy. His parents got a house for him and me and another friend of his were allowed to live their if we all split the bills and paid £20 a week rent. Anybody would take it surely.

First two years seemed fine but as I looked back things were slowly put into place for a catastrophic third year.

The other mate of his moved out and I was conned by my buddy to put some of the bills in my name. (Gas, Electric, Phone... the ones that can spiral out of control) It was on the basis of just me and him living their and I rather stupidly said yes. Two weeks after this was done he invites his friend who I knew full well had money problems to live with us. At first he's ok but my mate decides he's not paying more for the bills so decides to pay 1/6th and demands that the other lad pay the bulk of it. He won't pay full stop and by x-mas time he then invites his other mate to live with him and my mate is happy to do it! I object furiously but he insists. I point out that I'm the one now paying the bills but he says that the new lad would chip in.

From then on I lost my girlfriend, I failed university as my dissertation on my computer... well the computer suddenly and rather suspiciously broke with 3 weeks to go before the hand in date. My room key also went as well... so I had no privacy. I was on alcohol, drugs, you name it and other things happened in the house that sadly I will take to my grave as they were completely bang out of order.

They were not paying the bills, I was behind on the rent, I had lost all the decent friends I had before, I lost my social life and by the end of it... I was 8 and a half stone, skin and bones and a wreck. I remember one evening I had little or no food left and had a packet of noodles... cheap, 20 pence crap. I popped upstairs for 30 seconds and when I got back I found a whole tub of ginger in it. The noodles were uneatable and seriously I tried. My replacement? A pack of 4 year out of date noodles that was mouldy. They then decided that night that they would all buy ingrediants for a big curry. I was not invited to eat any but my concilation prize came next. They left it overnight to let the juices soak into the meat. I snook down and poured a can of p*ss into the curry. Next day they were eating p*ss curry and had seconds.

However... at the end of it they only ate a curry full of urine

I had a;

£15,000 student loan for nothing
£2,600 maxed out overdrafts
£1,000 in bank charges that spanned on for nearly two years due to having no job after university
£800 owed in unpaid bills (of which I had to pay for)
£500 I owed to my mate on having to beg off him just to live for the last few months
and because I left in a right huff and this new lad getting me a crappy job that paid £15 a night, I owed him 3 nights work which totalled to £150... I did not pay that.

His revenge then was to forward a CCJ (County court judgement) letter to my house for installing Sky Digital. £500 payment. Thankfully I got out of paying that. The day I officially moved out it was installed, how they got it into my name I have no idea.

I now work for minimum wage and am re-building my life from scratch. It took me 2 years to get a job and I've only just sorted out my overdrafts.

I'm 24, don't drive and live with my parents and some of the best years of my life have been robbed from me. All of those 3 people had jobs/money and cars. I had nothing.

How can people be so cruel? It's just the way the world works. I'm changed for the rest of my life... If I had gone to Leeds though and spent a little bit more... well, I'm certain things would have been a hell of a lot better.

edit on 30-12-2010 by Adono86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:23 PM
link   
Was back in the 70s.. Had few too many drinks on a flight as the aircraft hit alot of turbulence.. After ended up vomiting while speaking with the customs officer when had arrived.. Luckily didnt get quarantined just dumped in a taxi and sent to a hotel.. Havent drank since.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:26 PM
link   
Never Mind

edit on 30-12-2010 by StarTraveller because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 08:53 PM
link   
not in order

a) eating the fish tacos in Jaurez (it's nowhere near the coast)

b) leasing a car, instead of buying it.

c) paying extra for the "clear coat" premium paint package

d) back in college, allowing myself to fall in love with someone incapable of loving me back.

e) taking a first date to see "Three Amigos," which she absolutely hated, and sitting through the whole thing, instead of just leaving for a coffee together.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 01:52 AM
link   
All I can really say is I found the carcass. Then I said it out loud. Wouldn't call it a mistake. Just naive.

But then again, Harry Potter would have been proud.
edit on 31-12-2010 by ntech because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 02:56 PM
link   
reply to post by wookiee

Replying this to you Friend, but goes out to all -

Yeah, you lost out on the investment of a lifetime - but - how do you know - or could you have known - it would follow the positive trajectory that it did?

And - it (Apple stock) just as soon could have taken a nose dive. You could not have known and these things can and do go the other way. Enron? Segway? Even Apple itself was in the toilet for a number of years.

Further - who's to say you would've bought that, done good as we can see in hindsight, and did get to go on your safaris and such? You might've been eaten by a Lion if "fate" had have taken that path.

You never know......

And I mean all this in a positive light. People have mentioned Love and Romance here too. And I've heard said by many shrinks and experts on this - they say - you don't mourn the loss of the person - you mourn what you imagine might have been.

That "Love" or that "Apple Stock" might NOT have been your salvation, but your imagination tells you it was, or might have been, and this is where our sadness comes from.

So we can be positive and think of things in a different light. We don't mourn "the thing" - we mourn what "might have been". Which might not necessarily have happened, anyway. So don't dwell on things, you never know how it might've turned out.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join