It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Homo sapiens lived in Eretz Yisrael 400,000 years ago

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Eight human teeth dating back as far as 400,000 years ago and found at the prehistoric Qesem Cave near Rosh Ha’ayin – discovered recently by Tel Aviv University researchers – are “the world’s earliest evidence” of modern man (Homo sapiens).

Until now, remains of humans from only 200,000 years ago have been found in Africa, and the accepted approach has been that modern man originated on that continent.

Long before the land was called Israel and the residents Jews, Homo sapiens lived here twice as long ago as was previously believed, the researchers wrote in the latest (December) edition of the American Journal of Physical Anthropology.

The cave was uncovered in 2000 by Prof. Avi Gopher and Dr. Ran Barkai of TAU’s Institute of Archeology. Later, Prof. Israel Hershkowitz of the Department of Anatomy and Anthropology at TAU’s Sackler School of Medicine and an international team of scientists performed a morphological analysis on the teeth found in the cave.
www.jpost.com...
The examination included CT scans and X-rays indicating the size and shape of the teeth are very similar to those of modern man. The teeth found in the cave are also very similar to evidence of modern man dated to around 100,000 years ago that had previously been discovered in the Skhul Cave on Mount Carmel and the Qafzeh Cave in the Lower Galilee near Nazareth.

Skhul Cave (Israel)
Middle Paleolithic Site of Skhul Cave
archaeology.about.com...

Makes my imagination run wild.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 04:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Highly doubt the accuracy of this.
What method was used to date them, because carbon dating is extremely inaccurate past 5,000 years.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by freedish
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Highly doubt the accuracy of this.
What method was used to date them, because carbon dating is extremely inaccurate past 5,000 years.

And how did you come up with this number? To be fair i will tell you It wasn't very accurate Past the industrial revolution. They have been working on it to make it more accurate.

Aside from these changes due to natural processes, the level has also been affected by human activities. From the beginning of the industrial revolution in the 18th century to the 1950s, the fractional level of 14C decreased because of the admixture of large quantities of CO2 into the atmosphere, due to the excavated oil reserves and combustion production of fossil fuel. This decline is known as the Suess effect, and also affects the 13C isotope. However, atmospheric 14C was almost doubled for a short period during the 1950s and 1960s due to atmospheric atomic bomb tests. As a consequence, the radiocarbon method shows limitations on dating of materials that are younger than the industrial era. Due to these fluctuations, greater carbon-14 content cannot be taken to mean a lesser age. It is expected that in the future the radiocarbon method will become less effective. A calibration curve must sometimes be combined with contextual analysis, because there is not always a direct relationship between age and carbon-14 content.[13]

The 2004 version of the calibration curve extends back quite accurately to 26,000 years BP. Any errors in the calibration curve do not contribute more than ±16 years to the measurement error during the historic and late prehistoric periods (0–6,000 yrs BP) and no more than ±163 years over the entire 26,000 years of the curve, although its shape can reduce the accuracy as mentioned above.[15] In late 2009, the journal Radiocarbon announced agreement on the INTCAL09 standard, which extends a more accurate calibration curve to 50,000 years.[16][17]

LINK

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:53 PM
link   
Call me a cynic, but whenever I see the words Israel & [insert any Israeli intellectual institute] together with some incredible discovery in the same sentence, I immediately call foul. Actually I call Bullsh#t

ref: Drosnin & Bible Code

Where's my stepladder so I can climb over this latest stinking sh#theap?

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Gotta love how everyone's Jew hate suddenly discredits this discovery. And it's good to see the continued Christian pushed myth that carbon dating is inaccurate after 5,000 years...funny, because ironically, that's how old the Christians want us to believe the Earth is! Bet that's just a random coincidence!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:52 AM
link   
Oh, and as to my above post, in case you were wondering about the accuracy of carbon dating, here's a link:
Research Paper
(it's a pdf, watch out)

Radiocarbon dating (sometimes simply known as carbon dating) is a radiometric dating method that uses the naturally occurring radioisotope carbon-14 (14C) to estimate the age of carbonaceous materials up to about 58,000 to 62,000 years

But hey, I'm sure the Bible is more accurate in terms of history, with all the "Jonah getting swallowed by a whale" and a 700 year old man who builds a ship with his family that is big enough to carry two of every species on Earth. And you thought Xenu was crazy...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 04:59 AM
link   
Haha!

I cant wait to see what all those people who believe the entire earth is only 6000 years old have to say!

Good find, my friend!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 06:16 AM
link   
I found another article which may be
related to this. Or maybe it needs
it's own thread.

MEGIDDO, Israel -- The Book of Revelation says the biblical fortress of Armageddon will be the site of an apocalyptic battle between good and evil at the end of time. Scientists believe it could also be the place where time begins -- at least for archaeology.

In a groundbreaking new project, scholars are using the rich archaeological remains that soar more than 50 feet above the Jezreel Valley in northern Israel to synchronize the clocks of the ancient world and create the first definitive calendar of human history.

www.aolnews.com...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by OracleOfEssences

wow, there are people that believe the earth is only that old?!!

are you trashing the 37people who might believe this? is it worth it, really?

where exactly do they live?

do you and the other bashers believe in evolution?

let's talk evo.

are you the creme de la creme of dawinistic poo poo?

alpha sapien?

you are crap, i say. all yoze guys.

ya know? ya know nuttin.

freakin evo dead end alley way, i think.

the useless will die out. don't worry.

edit on 27-12-2010 by fooks because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Does anybody know where I can get my 400,000 year old Eretz Yisrael t-shirt, ballcap, shotglass, and candle? Tel Aviv University must need some support to fund its expidetions.

Oh and where is Yisrael? Is that where Palestinians live?
edit on 12/27/2010 by budaruskie because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by budaruskie
Does anybody know where I can get my 400,000 year old Eretz Yisrael t-shirt, ballcap, shotglass, and candle? Tel Aviv University must need some support to fund it expidetions.

Sorry, no,

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:43 AM
link   
Homo Sapiens and their predecessors were migrating herd followers. They should be found everywhere that the herds went.

Then when the glacial ages came, various groups would have been isolated into temperate zones for survival. When the ice retreated and the migration routes opened up again, the isolated groups would have "reconnected" with the new groups migrating with the herds again.

The Middle East is a natural route out of Africa up to Asia. Then back again. It is a natural narrowing point between.

I look forward to hearing if there is dna, ydna, mtdna to be found in this tooth.

The current easier way of finding people and understanding cultures through their permanent settlements will not help figure out pre-historical humanity. Understanding nomadic herd culture, and how they left messages and markers on the landscape, and plotting how the herds moved will.

The great herds moved, and one set of simians starting walking behind it. Markers would be trampled in the next migration unless placed correctly. Burying your dead is not likely a priority unless it has some significance.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 12:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Aeons

Thank you Aeons, good points.

new topics

top topics

join