It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

BP Oil Discovered Covering Gulf Floor.

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 02:34 PM
link   
All that oil/corexit sitting down there is acting like a coolant. There's no sunlight warming it and because its distributed over a large area of different depth it could be creating currents of cold water down there that might be interfering with the gulf loop current and cooling the G.O.M. It could explain why the south is unusually dry from reduced evaporation and recent freezeovers.Tonight will be the coldest for the south this year. The Everglades will be in the 20s and teens are down to areas between Tampa and Orlando while eastern Tennessee and west North Carolina will be in the single digits.
www.weather.gov...
edit on 12/27/2010 by Nogard2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Various THEORIES as to what the dispersant and crude oil I've read here are,... well IMO farfetched.

The dispersant, in no quantities I know, can directly cool, heat, or effect currents. I don't think it's enough poison to kill the gulf -- but it definitely could be a problem for quality of drinking water and seafood for a few years. But giving maybe 100,000 people cancer -- that's not really a depopulation event -- it's more like a "we put mercury in inoculations" type event. Lots of bloggers and fundraisers for politicos -- the usual "cost of business."

But, I think if the Oil was enough and especially -- if the hole was never plugged -- like the MSM would let us know,... well, I'm still worried about what I was worried about when it first happened; killing off the bacteria food chain in the Gulf.

The sea floor may die -- and it's more important than we may realize. Then up the food chain is Algae -- and we could get the largest RED TIDE ever seen -- maybe enough to kill off all the Sea life.

Just like stirring up soil and adding a lot of iron to the ocean, this could have a big effect. The Gulf could die with a large enough red tide -- and then the air will be almost impossible to breathe within about 50-100 miles (at a guess) from the coastline.

>> ALSO, that much sea life dying, COULD effect the ocean currents. Because it would cause a large mass to sink.

>> BTW, from what I've read, it will be about 10 or 20 years for the crude oil to come to the surface -- so those who say; "it wasn't that big of a deal" really haven't waited long enough to see the real effects.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by kozmo
I beg to differ... www.abovetopsecret.com...
It's not the same thing, the Loop Current is a Gulf of Mexico current, the Gulf Stream is an Atlantic current, part of the Atlantic Gyre.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 05:13 PM
link   
i can't wait to see all the abominations that this Oil/Corexit contamination creates. Un-natural sea life will have to spawn from this mess.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 08:48 PM
link   
The bottom of the gulf is the best place for it. It must have been decently heavy to have sunk in 4,000 feet or whatever so quickly. Bacteria will eat it up, and well... I think we can all imagine the food chain progressing up from there. Wildlife will probably flourish as a result as it did back in 1969.

The UNOCAL blow out off the coast of California in 1969 [scroll down to 'Consequences'] had a minimal effect on wildlife overall, so that must mean the wildlife population increased faster after the accident to make up for the dead. Those shrimpers and fishermen will be back to overfishing and 'accidentally' killing sea turtles in no time.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by saltheart foamfollower
Alright, the corexit could be poisonous to the animal and plant life there.

Tell me mr know it all, what happens to all the oil that seeps NATURALLY from the ocean floor?

Does it destroy everything?

How bout doing an investigation into that? Since removing the oil, which COMES NATURALLY from the earth itself, maybe we are helping the planet if it is sooooooo poisonous!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Perhaps this link will answer your questions.
phoenixrisingfromthegulf.wordpress.com...
The oil in the gulf did not "seep" from the ground, they drilled THOUSANDS of feet to get to it, hence the name of the rig "DEEPWATER horizon".
If you don't understand an issue you should probably do a little research before you post ridiculous negative comments like that. We aren't talking about bigfoot here, these are real, tangible problems that are backed by scientific data.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 11:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst
I'm just wondering if the same people who accept the concept of "NATURAL OIL SEEPS" are the same people who accept that websites that speculate that Global Warming is a manufactured conspiracy of climatologists are telling the truth.

>> I mean, what proof is there that NATURAL seeps are anything approaching what we've seen in the oceans -- isn't it MORE likely that there are a lot of uncapped and abandoned wells that just got called "natural' in order to save Billions of dollars?

Pay a few Government regulators a couple million, spend money on advertising on TV -- INSTANT GREEN! Way cheaper than actually doing anything about your pollution-based profit.

>> More people are killed in the USA by clean coal each year than were killed on 9/11 -- yet we spend more on cat food on the one, and about $2 Trillion on the other.

Very very good point...

I grew up on the gulf coast and recall there always being tar balls on the beaches. You couldn't go to the beach without gettin it on all your shoes, feet and tires. To be honest, I was young and stupid and never thought a thing of it other than to be annoyed that it stuck to everything.

After the BP spill I recall reading in the news about the "natural" occurrence of oil seepage and I thought aha! That's what that was all about back then. I've only recently wondered at the possibility that the oil back then was NOT a natural occurrence, and we may very well have been having toxic sludge flowing into the gulf unreported for quite some time.

If in fact the "seeped" oil is taken care of by bacteria, then I just don't think we would have seen as much oil on the beaches.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Alot of you seem to think that what the title to this thread says is gospel. With such statements as "...if its all just sitting there on the bottom, why don't we jus' go suck it up..."

This is from the OP's link-

Scientists who have been on research cruises in the Gulf in recent days report finding layers of residue up to several centimeters thick from what they suspect is BP oil.

The material appears in spots across several thousand square miles of seafloor, they said. In many of those spots, they said, worms and other marine life that crawl along the sediment appear dead, though many organisms that can swim appear healthy.

Scientific teams have reported in recent months finding a strange substance on the Gulf floor,

But the OP's link doesn't tell you what this 'STRANGE' substance is...
.. Ah-Ha! A little further reading from a link in another member's post reveals this-

www.npr.org...

How did the oily sediment get there? Joye says it's possible that chemical dispersants might have sunk some oil, but it's also likely that natural systems are playing an important role.

"The organisms that break down oil excrete mucus — copious amounts of mucus," Joye says. "So it's kind of like a slime highway from the surface to the bottom. Because eventually the slime gets heavy and it sinks."

And back to the OP's link-

"The chemical signatures are identical," said Mr. Hollander, who found the contaminated samples in an area of the Gulf floor off the Florida Panhandle. Although it's conceivable the tests could show a false match with the BP oil,[/ex]

This next statement is just stirring the pot and to lead you on-

He declined to disclose how much sediment contamination the government found, or exactly where in the Gulf it was, saying experts still are analyzing the test results.

Originally posted by VitriolAndAngst

I'm just wondering if the same people who accept the concept of "NATURAL OIL SEEPS" are the same people who accept that websites that speculate that Global Warming is a manufactured conspiracy of climatologists are telling the truth.

Sooo... What's your point? And to clarify, I don't "accept that websites that speculate", I will take what information is offered and make my own conclusions. I surely hope that you ask questions instead of just accepting as fact.

>> I mean, what proof is there that NATURAL seeps are anything approaching what we've seen in the oceans -

What proof is there that it's NOT?
If the BP disaster hadn't occurred, would you still have been aware of the pockets of crude oil just lying about our oceans?

- isn't it MORE likely that there are a lot of uncapped and abandoned wells that just got called "natural' in order to save Billions of dollars?

Now this statement I totally have to agree with you. We, John & Jane Q. Public, haven't seen what a mess there is so it might be likely that these "lil' juevenile delinquent" corperations would blame it on Mother Nature than take the blame on themselves.
edit on 28-12-2010 by geo1066 because: puncuation

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:23 AM
link   
reply to post by geo1066

Well, it isn't necessarily the job of scientists to have WILD ASS SPECULATION -- so they are going to be very, very cautious. The scientist saying the wrong thing TOO EARLY, can be made an example of by a corporation and crushed. There are many, many instances where drug companies have destroyed the careers and reputation of early speculators -- like Ely Lilly going after doctors who were seeing a connection between Autism and immunizations.

My own theory (in the case of immunizations), is that, since immunizations carry a lot of what are called "adjutants" to stimulate an immune reaction -- that any food that is introduced when a young child is getting immunized can become a food the body is allergic to. But is anyone going to study a link between that? Not a good career path, I'm afraid.

>> The FACT remains that they are just discovering this huge amount of "scum" -- mucous and oil on the Gulf floor. That is new. Just like the 1000-fold increase in Autism and Breast Cancers and many other things that we seem to shrug our shoulders at -- there has to be some change in what we are doing that caused it.

As far as the Mucous is concerned -- there was about a 144 mile long strand of Mucous and fecal matter witnessed in the Mediterranean Sea a couple years ago. Nothing like it ever seen before; its due to "undigested fecal material and an overgrowth in bacteria."

>> THIS IS WHAT I'M TALKING ABOUT -- the danger of the Oil gusher in the gulf is NOT DIRECT -- it is going to unbalance the food chain. Healthy bacteria and worms are going to die on the sea floor -- THOSE digest fecal material. The reason you get a huge layer of undigested fecal matter in the ocean is the same as it is in humans; the death of healthy bacteria!

The huge layer of mucous is NOT NATURAL -- that's my theory. And it's going to lead to the overgrowth of the wrong kind of Algae -- and this causes what is called a "toxic bloom" or more commonly known as a "Red Tide." These have been growing larger in the Gulf due to the flushing of organic matter down the Mississippi from human activity year after year. So, what we've done is add a LOT OF ADJUTANTS and something like the effect of Anti-biotics to the Gulf, the NATURAL healthy bacteria for digesting fecal matter are going to die, and THEN we see the largest Red Tide in history.

>> You might have heard it FROM ME FIRST -- I'm kind of good with this kind of thing and unfortunately, I'm batting about 80% on predictions -- usually, I'm a bit early. But I figure in another year or two, we will see the beginnings of the DEATH OF THE GULF. The commercial Media and paid bloggers, will of course, be really sure that is has NOTHING TO DO WITH OIL -- just like so many were so convinced about AUTISM having nothing to do with anti-biotics and immunizations. There are so many sources of cancer -- that and other diseases, that its easy to say "they are natural."

But a recent autopsy of thousands of Mummies revealed that even though many of the royals got to a late age when they died -- there was no Cancer associated with death. So is Cancer "natural" or is it something introduced with what humans are doing to themselves? I doubt we will see a lot of funding for research along these lines.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 09:48 AM
link   
I talked to a commercial fisherman from the gulf yesterday. The oil is 6" to 2 feet deep in most of the gulf and everything below it is dead. Deep water shrimping was cancelled because the shrimp had oil on it. He told me the corext was responsible for making the oil sink, but I think it would have sunk anyway, just slower. BP is not paying him for his losses. He still makes $20,000 a month.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

I agree whole heartedly with what you are saying. I am also a very firm believer in ying and yang/cause and effect and if it's true that there is an exponational growth in these microbes, wouldn't whatever transpires be 'NATURAL'?

I like to stay positive on things, so I would be the one that bets on your other 20%.

Who knows, being that the Gulf is one of the biggest fisheries, and the microbes population exploded, then naturally the next in line on the food chain, the Planktons (live next door to the Johnsons..sorry) would have a glutenous feast and hopefully populate enough to keep up with supply and so forth up the chain.

and before anybody assumes (remember the spelling!) that just because these little bugs feed on toxins doesn't nessasarally mean that they're toxic to the Planktons.

For me, the worst case scenario would be not enough predators to consume the micobes. Then we'll have the largest fishery for ells and the other scavangers.

That's it. Best and Worst

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:40 PM
link   
When I say; "I don't think BP's oil gusher and dispersant is going to shut down the Gulf Stream" -- that's not to say I don't think it isn't already underway -- or that a huge die-off of bacteria in the Gulf couldn't change currents.

Ice that is over 5,000 years old, has melted away from the North Atlantic -- and ships can chart a course that takes them on a direct route to Asia. Removing reflective Ice and replacing it with cold ocean water, means that more heat is KEPT, but it also means a HEAT SINK is created.

The Ocean is masking the rise in temperatures folks. And when you get Arctic conditions in Australia and England -- that's PERHAPS a sign that the Gulf Stream is NOT moving warm ocean water to those countries like it did. Once the oceans have absorbed about 50 years of heat, they will start RELEASING the heat -- see, that's about the time it takes for that stored heat to cycle through. So the HEAT wave we have now is from human activity in the 1960's. Just wait 40 years to get the REAL HEAT WAVE.

But that's what the Oil-company backed Anti-global-warming message is about -- spreading confusion. If it's cold outside -- "it CAN'T BE GLOBAL WARMING!" Right? Well the poles are warming up, and weather systems are changing -- so 10 degrees colder in your neighborhood might mean it seems like the Arctic. When blue birds show up in the Arctic -- its a bit more complicated than that.

>> The BP oil gusher, is a problem -- VERY MUCH, like the issue most Americans are having with their digestive systems. Diets high in sugar, meat, processed foods, and simple starches and carbs, are making your body Ph (and digestive tract), more acidic. Therefore, the bacteria that live in your stomach and intestines, is replaced by different Bacteria, that give you less energy and throw your system off. Why are so many people depressed these days? Well, 80% of Seratonin is stored in the Stomach. That's a neurotransmitter that seems commonly associated with sleeplessness and depression. I don't want to get into a long lecture here -- just pointing out that our Ocean Ph is becoming more acidic as well, as it absorbs CO2. There isn't any global conspiracy that is tainting THAT data -- taking the Ph of the ocean is a bit simpler, even if there are a LOT of places you can take it and variations. By the way, the "carrying capacity" of CO2 in the oceans is about reached.

So while we've been BY DESIGN, diddling away the time -- and told we can pollute all we want - the oceans have been changing. Methane bubbles up from stored hydrate deposits because at a certain very DEEP depth - the oceans are warming. THAT's that 50-year cycle of heat I'm talking about.

>> The point is; our earth is sort of a giant organism. The human body is more of a carrier for bacteria that work together than one organism (in reality) and all the organisms on the earth (like humans) are tiny parts of the entire thing. But what we do to the SMALLEST creatures -- has a bigger impact than what we OBVIOUSLY do to the bigger lions, tigers, and whales. 80% of the fish we eat is depleted. 80% of the tiny organisms that Blue Whales eat and Krill are gone -- because THEY NEED arctic ice to grow. You destroy rain forests and environments -- and that changes things. You dump Phosphates in the River - and that changes things.

BP has changed things -- but we already HAVE screwed things up. Perhaps the REALLY WEALTHY AND POWERFUL have decided on a "Plan B" -- and they already know these things. They just need to stall us long enough to hold off on us reclaiming the wealth and power for EVERYONE, so they can make their escape or stock their underground bunkers. It's great that some people think that "the end is near and that they will be raptured up into heaven" -- because it will mean they won't fight for the planet as heard. Me -- I've got no "Plan B" that I can rely on -- I only know the one planet and the one life I'm living and I'm not investing in some Ponzi scheme like our Federal Reserve or Christianity -- because so far, all I've gotten from these to groups is a lot of promises and a lot of lies but THEY get the money.

Why do churches need all this money if they believe in heaven you might ask? It's like asking why Oil companies invest in fresh water supplies and NOT in exploratory drilling.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 04:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by geo1066
reply to post by VitriolAndAngst

I agree whole heartedly with what you are saying. I am also a very firm believer in ying and yang/cause and effect and if it's true that there is an exponational growth in these microbes, wouldn't whatever transpires be 'NATURAL'?

I like to stay positive on things, so I would be the one that bets on your other 20%.

Who knows, being that the Gulf is one of the biggest fisheries, and the microbes population exploded, then naturally the next in line on the food chain, the Planktons (live next door to the Johnsons..sorry) would have a glutenous feast and hopefully populate enough to keep up with supply and so forth up the chain.

and before anybody assumes (remember the spelling!) that just because these little bugs feed on toxins doesn't nessasarally mean that they're toxic to the Planktons.

For me, the worst case scenario would be not enough predators to consume the micobes. Then we'll have the largest fishery for ells and the other scavangers.

That's it. Best and Worst

Long term -- sure, the new balance of bacteria might establish just fine -- but NOT with our present ecosystem. The last time the air and water had so much CO2 -- there were sloths the size of trees.

This might NOT be a world-ending problem -- but it very likely would be "society as we know it in upheaval." A foot of ocean sea level rise means that about 80% of the world's populations needs to move. The shutting down of the gulf stream, means Europe can become the new Siberia -- while Siberia, releases more methane than the ecosystem can absorb from melting pete bogs that have been frozen for centuries.

Good if you are Russian -- not so good for California, Europe and Australia. The droughts all over the world were interrupted by huge torrents of rain. All over the world -- rare and strange climate events are taking place -- on balance, it might not be a LOT of new heat. Or the Poles warm while the lower latitudes cool.

>> While you and I might live with an acidic stomach (most Americans get by somehow), and so will the planet -- it's not going to be the same ecosystem we are used to. And RAPID CHANGE, no matter what it is, is going to spark resource wars -- not controlled wars to keep Mercenaries and military contractors in the gravy -- but wars sparked of desperation.

>> It's all good for the Futures speculators trading grains -- they've starved billions by creating panics and having countries squander resources. But now a lot of crops are going to be down -- Capitalism gets the best price when a large percentage cannot afford the product; whether it is airplane tickets, health care, or food. Scarcity makes things worth more. Otherwise, Diamonds would be about $100 a Karat -- but that isn't the case, is it?

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Recieved a very good article for Global Reseach org. and posted it elsewhere called the Gulf is dying.....
It describes the top of the salt dome that the macondo well drilled beside as fractured badly.
There is also a fault line which runs very close to the Macondo hole.
Texaco has anothert hole also very close to Mac, bnut closer to the fault line.
The upshot of the info is that the well is still leaking oil!
The dome top and the strata are busted up and letting the cement and other substances used to plug the well leak out from the ocean floor!
Actually the stuff is comming out under that great pressure that origonally blew the well, and now has fractured the gulf floor.
The diagrams will explain everything.
This is a very good possibility, and there is some science behind it, so there could be a lot of truth to the article....
www.abovetopsecret.com...
Please scroll down a few posts to get the right link as my first try didnt work well.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join