It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Online storage! We keep your files safe if you crash!" Wait! What?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Gorman91

Me either. Ive no clue how to encript anything. I just back up at home-office...and throw it in the drawer, my pocket, safe deposit box....etc.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 04:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
Could someone here suggest an external drive that they have found reliable and used as back up for 2 years or more.

I'm pretty desperate to find one, and I don;t know which companies to trust any more.

The last one I bought was a Fujitsu Storage bird, there not a top line company but their hard drives have an Ok reputation. It died after 6 months and when I opened up the drive inside was actually made by MDT a terrible terrible company with an even worse reputation.

edit on 26-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

My oldest one is a 1TB Seagate.I have it about one and a half year and i have no problems yet.I also have a Lacie for about 8 months now,no problem there as well.Try them.

Anyway on OP's topic.There are many online storage/filesharing companies.They do pretty much the same thing,although many use them to upload movies,music etc.But most of them started as storage for company files(so those who upload them can have access from any location worldwide).I know people that use such companies to back up personal files.

posted on Jan, 8 2011 @ 05:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by CHEDwick
Cloud computing, and on line backup is not a good thing.

I've been saying this for years now. Cloud computing is plain out stupid. That's why I don't buy into the whole "Google OS" thing or any other cloud computing platform. For starters, I like the fact that I can unplug my computer from the net and still have access to everything. I like the fact, that my information isn't "out there".

Now think about this, in the future, millions of Americans (and the rest of the world) made the "switch" from standard Windows to cloud based operating system. Having all their information stored in one place online on some server.

Now, what would happen if a lone hacker would get a hold of all that? China?

Sorry folks, cloud computing is great for tweens who can't get enough of facebook and that's about it.

posted on Jan, 11 2011 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Frontkjemper

Me as well do the same. I have no internet in my studio, so I put stuff from one room, or my office Internet etc, on to a flash-zip drive and pop it in my pocket, go into the studio and put it on that drive. I have everything Ive ever saved. And not being hooked up to Internet....I have no crashes, viruses, worms of any such thing.

I realize most dont have 2 computers, bu the point is to put what you download as a file to an external of flash and you'll have it to view anytime, anywhere, day after day, year after year, in any location and at anytime.

A 8 gig flash pocket size drive is about $20 US, and a good larger 100g or so drive starts around $50 US. Seem a good investment.

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join