It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Online storage! We keep your files safe if you crash!" Wait! What?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+9 more 
posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:52 AM
link   
There is a company offering for about $50 a year to automatically back up your files for you...credit cards, bank I.D., personal info, pictures, videos, documents in case your computer fries out or crashes.They will back up your files with encription and keep them safe. One "satisfied customer" touts that "I trust them with my LIFE! Thanks God is there to keep my files and personal stuff safe!".....ONLINE!.

Ok. Does no one realize for about $40 American you can go to a computer or dept. store and BUY an external drive and put everything important you have on it and toss it in your own drawer at home for safety and crashes and things?

I mean...holy cow! Why in heavens name would anyone think anything that takes your personal files from you, stores them off-site for you in case of emergency, is in any way a good thing? It also says it has 1,000,000 satisfied customers. Maybe they live in the wilderness, or on mountain-tops or something, but just get an external drive, and keep it with you wherever you go or live.

Anyone else share my sentinment? Why would anyone go with this?
edit on 06-10-2010 by mysterioustranger because: add

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Good call OP.
Cloud computing, and on line backup is not a good thing.
Just another way to milk the consumer of money and info.
This way, when you die, the company can publish all those risky photos they found on your HD.

Don't do this.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:09 AM
link   
reply to post by mysterioustranger

IMHO I agree, I keep my docs on a 1TB usb HD that I can monitor my self and back up accordingly as I see fit plus I make hard copy's of important docs and keep them in a fire box. I dont trust things I cant see if my docs are in a cloud then how do I know Im not the only one looking at them.
More like 1,000,000 unknowing customers

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
I Agree completely, there is nothing more dangerous then to store all your important data online at a service you don't know anything about. I only use sites like that to share music or stuff like that in the community, i have never even considered to back-up my pc data to external sites. Even if they say "but we will encrypt it in a way that nobody can see your data", that means nobody can see your data exept for them en god know's what they will do with it. Probably give it to the highest bidder who will then bombard you with personal flavoured SPAM.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Thats what puzzles me. Are they preying on the stupid? Or the vulnerable? If they use a home computer, dont most people have even just a tiny bit of common sense about passwords and not giving out personal info online etc? Since its safe to assume they must realize those 2 points, Im dumbfounded by all the commercials this past week telling you to "be safe" and "never lose your important documents, files and photos again" etc, blah, blah.

Im thinking farther down the line, the more that fail to realize they can go buy portable storage and keep it safe at home with them....the more chance someone, somewhere, sometime can access it. They hack into computers all the time. Why would anyone VOLUNTARILY give some off-site on-line company all your personal info, passwords, credit cards #'s. your childrens info, medical ,tax and other private info?

I am stumped to understand....

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:18 AM
link   
Good points, op.

I also wouldn't mind betting that buried somewhere within the contract with such a company, there'd be a statement along the lines that "if our site or your materials are inaccessible for any reason beyond our control (yadda yadda) then our company shall not be held liable for any losses (yadda yadda)..."

So if they crash, or get hacked, or have a power outage -- or simply screw up big-time -- then you've not only done your dough, all your personal info could finish up Lord only knows where.

So -- yeah. The smarter way to is to do our own backups of important stuff. I sure do -- and not online.

Mike

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:20 AM
link   
And if you're really worried:
... you can buy a drive capable of CD/RW or DVD/RW (about $40 plus discs) and back up to optical media that you keep at home thus don't have to rely on the innerwebz (where security is a fleeting concept).
... guard your credit card- the CC# is printed right there, in raised letters, on the front of your card.
... print your pictures- they can always be scanned back in later if the digital ones die.

Han Solo escaped carbonite- what will your data do? ™

edit on 12/26/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Go ask some senior citizens about this program.
All but the sharp ones will think this is great.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I agree about the security concerns, but I have terrible problems with external drives. I've gone through 3 in the last 2 years all while the original drive they were supposed to be backing up is still purring away with no problems.

I'm almost tempted to go get an old tape backup drive

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Yes Chedwick, have to agree with you on that. Not just senior citizens, but many people who are rather naive in the land of computers.

Example: couple of years back I was visiting some family friends who are rather elderly. They'd very recently had internet installed and basically knew how to send an email (as grandson had taught them) but had zero idea of security. The man (eighty if he was a day) asked me to check his email service for him because he wasn't sure if he'd sent his email correctly, as he'd had no replies.

So I said, "Okay, just log in to your email and show me what you want me to check."

He replied, "Oh, you can log in for me as you're already at the computer..."

And then -- he told me his password!

I explained to him that his password should be secret, but he just laughed, "Oh, but it's no use to anyone who's not using my computer, is it?"

Yes, he thought the email account password only worked on the computer where it was first set up...

These were clever people, but their lack of knowledge of the big, bad world of cyber crime would leave them sitting ducks for companies like the one mentioned in the OP... Hard to see what the solution might be in such cases, though.

Now, if a total stranger rolled up on your doorstep and offered to take copies of all your personal info and store it in a safe deposit somewhere for fifty bucks a year, you'd probably be wary and so would I. But it seems that because it's on the www, somehow this concept of wariness seems to be set aside by many.

Mike
edit on 26/12/10 by JustMike because: typos

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

Great! Then send ME all your personal info! I promise Ill keep it safe for you!

Hey...sometimes chili upsets my stomach, but I dont stop eating it once in awhile. There are many really good externals out there. Just because a few didnt work for you doesnt represent the dependability of the rest of them.

I bought a new car once that wouldnt start. I didnt take back the car...I just got a new battery. Problem solved.
Shop around until you find a good one, and ask someone to help you choose one.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:38 AM
link   
I think it's a great idea. Having offsite copy of your important stuff on a server that itself has redundancies and safeties in place is great. If you do your backups on external hd's that still isn't safe. You need to have offsite backup for most important things. Fire and theft being the 2 most common reason for data loss in such a situation comes to mind. Also if you don't trust the company just encrypt the files with truecrypt or something before backing them up.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:41 AM
link   
Why would anyone other than big companies (and why even them) need to resort to online backup to begin with. Some of the cheapest components for/in computers are storage devices. (you could even use ur ipod if really needed)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
Could someone here suggest an external drive that they have found reliable and used as back up for 2 years or more.

I'm pretty desperate to find one, and I don;t know which companies to trust any more.

The last one I bought was a Fujitsu Storage bird, there not a top line company but their hard drives have an Ok reputation. It died after 6 months and when I opened up the drive inside was actually made by MDT a terrible terrible company with an even worse reputation.

edit on 26-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by PsykoOps

I dont think you send them anything you can encript 1st...its(they) run constantly on a feed from you while you are using your comp. If you could encript yourself...that wouldnt be so bad. But they advertise they are always there with you backing up what you have and do all day and night.

Therein is the problem.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:44 AM
link   
All external drives, ipods, memery cards etc. are nutoriously unreliable. Unless you have an raid 5 or better system running in your home with offsite backups you're in risk of losing your data.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

I've yet to see a single external drive on Amazon that doesn't have around 10-30% or the reviewers report failure within a pretty short time.

As I asked can someone recommend a good one?
edit on 26-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:46 AM
link   

There has to be some way of defining what the program backs up. It can't be fully automatic and constant. That would cause tons and tons of useless data being backed up such as operating system, program files, unimportant stuff etc.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:49 AM
link   
WD has always done the trick for me. (Western Digital)
When used (and stored) properly a(n) (external) hard disk can last for years without problems, in my experience at least.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   
reply to post by davespanners

No man, not the tape again!

These days we have RAID motherboards, that allow you to use two identical hard drives to ensure a reliable drive is always on hand, now I know a virus would exist on both drives, which is why I like a hot swap hard drive dock to back up on. Use a standard SATA hard drive as an external.

Most folks can just burn the document directory to a DVD which is my choice for most home users.
Magnetic media such as a hard drive will loose data over time, where an optical storage, such as CD or DVD will not, however, the plastic will deteriorate especially if exposed to UV light. Black jewel cases with the paper will help with this. Then you have scratches.

Lets not talk about our generation of lost digital photos.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join