It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Listen to space LIVE on radio ( meteors,lightning,ufos,satelites )

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:20 AM
link   
This is so cool

Just listen to this for 5 min and you are sure to catch somehing, sounds to me its very crowded out there. be it satelites, spaceships, meteors and garbage..

METEOR ECHOES : The Air Force Space Surveillance Radar is scanning the skies above Texas

Here is the live radio feed
topaz.streamguys.tv...

Here is a sample when a meteor or satelite passes over
www.spaceweatherradio.com...

Live Radar Audio Feed--how do we do it? It's simple. The Air Force Space Surveillance Radar transmits a 216.98 MHz signal into the heavens 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. Meteors, satellites and spacecraft passing overhead reflect those signals back down to Earth. The radar's primary antenna is located near Lake Kickapoo, Texas. A few hundred miles away in Roswell, New Mexico, radio engineer and long-time spaceweather.com associate Stan Nelson picks up the echos using a yagi antenna on his roof

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/b1820699e7d2.jpg[/atsimg]

Stan offers these details: "I'm currently tuned to 216.97927 MHz. using (USB) Upper Side Band on a ICOM R8500 receiver. The antenna is a 13 element yagi pointing east with a 15 degrees upward tilt. The receiver audio is sent to a ACER PC (Vista Windows) line input. The audio is encoded running Edcast using AAC at 16Kb. I have a 20 db. pre-amp at the antenna feeding about 50 ft of RG8

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/1ad7e34d674e.jpg[/atsimg]

Other ham radio operators in the southern USA may wish to try picking up the signals themselves.

More about the radar: Formerly known as NAVSPASUR, the Air Force Space Surveillance Radar transmits 800 kW of continuous-wave (CW) radio power into an east-west oriented fan beam at 216.98 MHz. The radar's primary mission is to track satellites and space debris for the US Space Command. It can detect objects as small as 10 cm orbiting 15,000 km above the earth's surface.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:27 AM
link   
This might interest you too:
From NASA: Eerie Sounds of Saturn Note:

Time on this recording has been compressed, so that 73 seconds corresponds to 27 minutes. Since the frequencies of these emissions are well above the audio frequency range, we have shifted them downward by a factor of 44.

Link to WAV file

edit on 12/26/2010 by abecedarian because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:29 AM
link   
interesting and to think no one can hear you scream in space

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:33 AM
link   
reply to post by platipus

That's because, allegedly, there isn't anything in space to conduct your vocalizations since transmission of sound involves bouncing molecules against each other. RF energy doesn't have such a requirement though since it produces its own photons to carry vibrations... or so the theory goes.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Very cool - and quite relaxing to listen to as you drift off to sleep!

More thoughts later - took me on a tangent to 'number stations'...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 12:31 AM
link   
As close as we can easily get to tracking UFOs. bet they sound like sattelite (downwards swoop) but will (if we lucky) change direction and thus warble more...

posted on Sep, 5 2013 @ 01:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Just 'fishing around' found this thread with the link, awesome stuff.

But I think I just found the 'Lost Library of Alexandria' on this Meteor Radar Echo stuff, check this out!
www.k5kj.net...
WOW. If anything, at bottom of the page there are multiple link's for everything about the subject.
edit on 5-9-2013 by SoulRelliK because: oops...

edit on 5-9-2013 by SoulRelliK because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join