It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

French U-turn on chemical/biological weapons.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:38 AM
link   
The French have apparently done a bit of a U-turn, saying they will go to war if Saddam uses chemical or biological weapons.

From sky news:

"France has announced it could assist any US-led military coalition if Iraq uses chemical and biological weapons.

The turnaround comes after strong French opposition to a war in Iraq, including threats to veto a UN Security Council resolution paving the way for armed conflict.

French ambassador Jean-David Levitte said: "If Saddam Hussein were to use chemical and biological weapons, this would change the situation completely and immediately for the French government."

Mr Levitte said a decision on any French participation in the war would be made by French President Jacques Chirac, if and when biological or chemical weapons were used.

Although he declined to give details on the possible shape of French participation, Levitte said, "We have equipment to fight in these circumstances."

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:39 AM
link   
I heard the same thing on CNN. I wonder why such a quick turn around?

AF1

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Saving face. They'll feel really bad if Iraq uses the weapons, proving the United States was right and that the inspections weren't working. Basically, France is doing what it does best and looking after themselves. Any news of Germany of Russia?

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:42 AM
link   
Chirac already said that on the cnn interview on sunday

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:57 AM
link   
I can't say that I'm surprised here. You knew they would change positions once the 'coalition of the willing' decided to go into Iraq. Typical France.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Karl,
yes I thought I seen this earlier too, I was wondering why Sky had it as breaking news about an hour ago and the BBC had nothing. It's not a very good news resource and it's owned by Murdoch so methinks they might be timing it to make the french look bad (or worse, depending on your opinion.) On the other hand France might just be reiterating the point.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I think Chirac's just trying to prevent the use of WMD ...

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 12:12 PM
link   
Honestly, do we really need the French there?

I think we should send them in to Iraq to help the Iraqi army hone their surrendering skills. We all know how good the French are at that .....

AF1

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 12:13 PM
link   

I think Chirac's just trying to prevent the use of WMD ...

Then to prevent the use of WMD Iraq would have to have them, and that would mean the UN Inspections have not worked and he has not been disarming. If Chirac truly believed that Iraq was disarming, then he would never have made this statement, he is just covering his ass.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 01:14 PM
link   
i just heard on the radio that Germany is dispatching chem/bio decontaminators to Kuwait. saving some face there too i see.

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 01:42 PM
link   
Um anyone else have issues with the french saying this? If Iraq uses chemical weapons then what? The french military will help the americans? That reminds me of the baseball strike, when it was discussed to have minor leaguers play in place of the real players. Thanks Jacques, I think our guys need some water refilled.

As for what jms88 said... are you serious? Do you mean to tell me the French would release their previously top secret military training class entitled "Le Drapeau blanc"?

(the white flag for those of you wondering, at least according to my translator software
)

[Edited on 3-18-2003 by Djarums]

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Of course, as one said, "Going to war without France is like going hunting without your accordian..."

[Edited on 18-3-2003 by Gazrok]

posted on Mar, 18 2003 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Guys, we are all saved. French Army is comming.

Be careful Saddam, the Sand Worm will find you anywhere !

[Edited on 19-3-2003 by ultra_phoenix]

top topics

join