It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Damaging aftershock rocks Christchurch

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   

Damaging aftershock rocks Christchurch

www.news.com.au

AN AFTERSHOCK measuring 4.9 on the Richter scale hit Christchurch this morning, cutting power to parts of the city and damaging buildings, according to reports.

Series of earthquake hits NZ

NZ's Canterbury region has been struck by a series of earth tremors, five kilometres from Christchurch.
Hundreds of Boxing Day shoppers were evacuated from a mall in Riccarton, civil defence manager Jon Mitchell told the New Zealand Press Association (NZPA).

Power has since come back to most areas, he said.

There were no reported injuries from today's incident

The damage was caused by an a
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:12 AM
link   
This is crazy with more earth quakes occurring now in new zealand. This one was an aftershock but again it seems to be occuring now more and more often around the world. What i find odd is the fact that the earth quake aftershock has happened quite a bit later i always thought they occurred soon after unless there was a quake I missed earlier? Also isnt new zealand on the centre of a plate much like australia or am I wrong there too ? lol

www.news.com.au

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 05:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

This is crazy with more earth quakes occurring now in new zealand. This one was an aftershock but again it seems to be occuring now more and more often around the world. What i find odd is the fact that the earth quake aftershock has happened quite a bit later i always thought they occurred soon after unless there was a quake I missed earlier? Also isnt new zealand on the centre of a plate much like australia or am I wrong there too ? lol

www.news.com.au

Yes, after shock sound strange given the time between..
But I think NZ is not in the middle of a plate like Australia..
NZ has more active zones with volcanoes etc as far as I know..

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by q_ball

www.news.com.au

The original quake was on 4th September, and an expert said that aftershocks can happen for up a year after the initial shock.
Sadly you are very wrong! New Zealand straddles two plates, and there is no part of New Zealand that is not subject to earthquakes, volcanoes or geothermal scariness..
Vicky

top topics

join