It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This site has become the home to people who have no education

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I am beginning to lose my faith on this site. Its motto is to deny ignorance and I see more ignorance everyday not only by posters but by mods as well. I see threads that undermine basic scientific principles being promoted and despite all evidence to the contrary. I have had enough. Theres more intelligence on sesame street than i see from most people on this site. I dont see the point in participating on a site where you are overwhelmed by a majority of morons. nuff said

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by loner007
I am beginning to lose my faith on this site. Its motto is to deny ignorance and I see more ignorance everyday not only by posters but by mods as well. I see threads that undermine basic scientific principles being promoted and despite all evidence to the contrary. I have had enough. Theres more intelligence on sesame street than i see from most people on this site. I dont see the point in participating on a site where you are overwhelmed by a majority of morons. nuff said

Hello my friend!

I went to a classic first tier University here in Europe but I'm still quite stupid regarding most fringe topics here!

I'm just so damn happy to be here among this International memberbase!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Can you dumb that down a bit. I don't unstand

Jk
Agree 100%

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:11 PM
link   
reply to post by loner007

here is the thing that comes to my mind as far how i could relate to your original post, i think for the most part you are correct there are a growing number of posts that are borderline "not so much far-fetched conspiracy - and more so just 'crazy talk'" i think this could just be a result in a huge surge of member numbers. with the good comes the bad in this case.

another point that could clarify why this is happening is that there are alot of people at ats that are not 'uneducated' and fit the bill as being very logical, rational and successfully minded individuals. every now and then when someone posts something REALLY outlandish ( maybe more than 'every now and then ) sometimes it is so outlandish that the members who do think straight simply just don't want to even put in the energy or time to even comment on it.

so what happens is you get a thread that only the like minded individuals ( individuals at that lower level of mentality, or perhaps just 'gullable(sp?)' individuals ) will be the only ones posting back, the whole thread becomes a conversation between many members about something that could possible be considered ignorant/stupid/ etc. maybe in that situation a person who does think straight will see an endless thread of ingorance and think "am i really going to try and jump in this one?"... "nah"

i mean, for an example, if i saw a thread title that said " blueberries are not real, blueberries are actually strawberries in disguise " if the main post was basically the same nonsense as the title, i personally wouldn't even comment on the thread! my point being that some posts are just so 'crazy' that they could be proved hoax and/or nonsense in one simple post by any rational member not that the rational ones are too lazy to go through ats and search for these instances and try to shed light on them... but for me, i come to ats just for enjoyment, i click on threads that interest me and that's pretty much it, i have no interest in really poving someone wrong or making a valueable effort for whatever reason like what i described, i hope i made that point clear haha

so it's hard to say if the mass number of posts and replies that come out daily here on ats are a real representation of the education and mentality of it's members, i think alot of times it's a mixture of different levels of maturity and mentality mixing and perhaps sometimes learning from each other - well that would be a best case scenerio

but those are just my thoughts, maybe you would think they pertain to your original thoughts?
edit on 12/25/2010 by indigothefish because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Education is a different thing to intelligence, there are lots of extremely well educated people that can quote Latin verb conjugations verbatim but couldn't think their way out of a paper bag.

As for my own education, I more or less skipped school from the ages of 11 - 16 and still passed all of my exams at the end.
I have a 1:1 honours degree in Software Engineering, and I have found that it hasn't meant a single thing when it came to my life after education as I went in a completely different direction.

I'm not sure that I notice any more ignorance here then in other places, the debate is certainly more intelligent then most, if not all other internet forums I can think of.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Please disregard this post!
edit on 25-12-2010 by Chevalerous because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   

You have to realize that ATS isn't popular science.com. If you want to discuss topics that only deal in scientifically sound principles then you have had misplaced expectations with this site to begin with. There are skeptics and dreamers here, and they both have much to offer. Perhaps, if you exercise some tolerance and respect the opinions of others you may learn something from an unlikely source. None of us know everything! Life without a little mystery would be a very boring life indeed.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:19 PM
link   
I think we have a lot of young people here who are exploring possibilities for discussion.
Some of them are really bright and the only way they can learn is by asking questions that many of us regard as nonsense.

On the other hand we may have acquired a lot of the riff-raff from a certain competitor who has locked out a large portion of their former posters.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:20 PM
link   

I am beginning to lose my faith on this site.

I find it amusing that you proceed from this statement, about faith, to judge those that do not use science as their basis of personal perspective.

Its motto is to deny ignorance and I see more ignorance everyday not only by posters but by mods as well.

Seems ignorant to make a blanket statement without facts for the reader to base an opinion one way or the other.

I see threads that undermine basic scientific principles being promoted and despite all evidence to the contrary.

If Science is in fact 100% fact then undermining it would not be possible. Please do not worry yourself about defending the honor of science.

I have had enough.

Better stop then. However I can say that we are all glad you made the proclamation first. It eliminates any question about whether or not you did in fact have enough during your tenure here.

Theres more intelligence on sesame street than i see from most people on this site.

There is --- Triple entendre. Corrected the typo, a question and/or my agreement.

I dont see the point in participating on a site where you are overwhelmed by a majority of morons.

I believe the sole point and purpose of your participation is/was for you to learn an important fact. If you rub ointment on it, it will sooth your irritation and make a more pleasant life experience.

We all get frustrated in life. Do yourself and try to ratchet back the "I'm better than everyone" attitude.

Like it or not, we are all on this rock together and not much separates us.

Peace

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   
Some threads are just not worth the time. This is actually one of them, but I wanted to say that I have seen 2 distinct types of members here. One type seems to be the troll. The other seems to be genuine seekers of knowledge.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:21 PM
link   

Why even post thread? And try using spell check next time you want to rant about how smart you are.

Do you consider being petty a form of ignorance? Is posting a thread about how smart you are petty?

I love irony.
And by the way how did you get the name loner007? Was it by making threads like this?
edit on 25-12-2010 by Subjective Truth because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:31 PM
link   
...i can appreciate your beef, loner - but - whats the point of making a formal statement about it?... do you think the "i've had enough" tone will encourage people to post like you want them to?...

...i just dont see that working - but - then, i'm kinda jaded after raising a boatload of kids who all, at one time or another, threw a "i've had enough" hissy because things werent going their way and threatened to run away... my response was always - okay, see ya - have a nice trip - watch out for the bears in da woods (lots of laughter)... ah, good times...

...if you want to improve things - lead by example... that makes sense...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Is that why you call yourself "LONER" ?

Who are you to judge who is educated or not?

Educated or not, every man and woman is a contributor to this board - I just don't have to agree with everything they say but the intensity and humour is awsome!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:35 PM
link   
I wanted to see the reaction of people and my first instincts were correct this site is definitly going down the tubes judging by the majority of posts. Deny Ignorance? this site should rename it we welcome ignorance

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Well with witty thought provoking rejoinders like that I'm not surprised you find it hard to find mental stimulation around here.

Maybe the Cambridge debating society would suit someone of your erudition more

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:43 PM
link   
I have 2 engineering degrees and a MS in Physics.

I also read a quite alot about a wide variety of subjects. I've learned a great deal right here on ATS as well.

I'm currently watching a Christmas Special about Bozo's Circus - which might be the pinnacle of knowledge as we know it.

Hey, comedy is the highest and most complex art

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:44 PM
link   

I wanted to see the reaction of people and my first instincts were correct this site is definitly going down the tubes judging by the majority of posts. Deny Ignorance? this site should rename it we welcome ignorance

basically you're right about this, but what would the solution be? create a a two tier system?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Please leave us uneducated buffoons alone and go find another forum to use your 5th grade English edumacation! I bow down to the king!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:49 PM
link   
I am so very sorry loner007.
but every type of person is welcome here.

or am I mistaken?
is this for over educated only?
may be you should have your own part of the forum?

but then you life would be so boring.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:52 PM
link   
Based on the title of this thread, I can therefore conclude that I already lost my education. My more than 15yrs of study gone to waste. Poor me.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join