It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Autism/Aspergers treatment

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:40 PM
link   
My younger brother was recently diagnosed with Aspergers. I've been doing some research and there are a lot of testimonials of people being cured or dramatically improved by various natural treatments.

I'd appreciate any commentary on the following...

Vitamin B12 Methylcobalamin
- www.autism.com...

Vitamin B6 combined with magnesium
- www.suite101.com...

Zeolite powder
- Detoxifies the body of heavy metals like mercury.

Hyperbaric oxygen chambers
- www.americanaspergers.org...

edit on 25-12-2010 by ericsnow because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ericsnow

I think you'll find that the internet is oft abuzz with miracle cures..

I know for some reason people think that doctors are ignorant, but just because you saw a suggestive study or video on the internet doesn't mean you can cure cancer or autism..

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   
I work in a school and i've encountered a few kids suffering from this and from experience i say don't discout someone purely because they have aspergers because they can also be highly creative/artististic as a resut of asparegers - probably a lot more than the average person. Their social skills may lack compared to most people but they do do tend to excel in other areas and imo they just need to be encouraged to find their niche in life and they will do quite well out of it.
edit on 25-12-2010 by snoochieboochies because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:02 PM
link   
I have a question.. a few actually..
How bad is here.. Aspies are high functioning.. Really smart and so on..
Some are just not able to be social, that's why the Internet is so cool..
How I think of the Internet is a game that i talk to people because i will never see them in real life.(yes I am an Aspie.)
I heard there are some foods that can help some of the symptoms of autism in general.. Gluten Free diets. But i haven't tried them out myself because I like who I am(except i cant talk to people well).

There are alot of things to consider when trying to get someone else on meds. Does this person want this? Does this person think its a good idea? or are you forcing it on him?

I would say try the Gluten Free Diet thing, from there talk with his therapist or Psychologist and see what they have to say.

Other than that i don't have any other ideas for you because Autism is one of those things that can no be cured as of yet. But if it were to be cured we would be missing out on alot of things..
Alot of famous people are Aspies.. Bill Gates, Einstein and Thomas Jefferson to name a few. the last 2 are suspected to having it.. the 1st one definitely does..

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:28 PM
link   
I don't think you need to cure him. My son has Aspergers and he is awesome! He is a straight A student and won a big merit scholarship to the college he is now attending. My advice is to just give your brother a challenge and watch him rise to the occasion. My son first really blossomed in Chess club when he was little and it helped his communication skills too because it's got rules and the kids have to agree together who has won and take their scores up to the judges. Aspies like routines and order. Then my son got offered a chance to skip a grade and that made him feel special and he started getting really great grades and just took off. Let your Aspie cut the itchy tags out of his shirts. Let him eat one thing for weeks (as long as it is something reasonably nuritious). Don't worry if he likes to play video games or read instead of playing sports, or if he doesn't learn other people's names for months. Every kid is unique and there are some huge advantages to Aspbergers - they are very very bright and creative. Encourage, be supportive, and let him have some quirks, just step in and make him aware is he is doing something that might hurt him (mine washed his hands so much in Junior High that they chapped badly, for example).

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:44 PM
link   
Hey, maybe Aspergers isn't so much an affliction as a gift or blessing. Many Aspergers people are highly creative & imaginative.
If I had an Aspergers child, I don't think I would want to stifle that spark of genius, I would want to nurture it in an environment that the child felt safe in.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by HelionPrime
Hey, maybe Aspergers isn't so much an affliction as a gift or blessing. Many Aspergers people are highly creative & imaginative.
If I had an Aspergers child, I don't think I would want to stifle that spark of genius, I would want to nurture it in an environment that the child felt safe in.

These treatments don't stifle anything. They improve their eye contact, vocabulary, ability to read body language, etc. Basic social skills.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   
I just thought of a post of mine that can help you..
I made it back in 06..
It talks about how People with ADD(assumed at the time) can be good at high tech jobs..
www.abovetopsecret.com...
You should read it.. its interesting, I give me 2 cents in it also..
At the time when i made this post I added an imagine in the risk taking section because it is me blowing fire..
Sometimes we dont know when the risk is great enough but in the end sometimes it works out for the better..

Anyway you should check it out..

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:18 PM
link   

I completely agree! It drove us nuts for a while with the strange behaviors, until we realized what was going on with all the "quirks", but it is definitely a matter of "choose your battles". What is more important, that your kid eats shredded meat instead of ground meat, OR that your kid gets A+ in calculus when you never understood it, gets scholarships to colleges when you never did, and has plans and motivation and drive for his future??? I am SO proud of my son, not only is he an Aspie, he also has impaired hearing, and it has never slowed him down one bit. His Dad and I agreed when he was a toddler that we don't believe in victimization and we would just treat him as normal, with challenges like we all have, and you know what? He is. Everyone has issues, including all of us. It is what we make of our challengs that defines us, and mine is doing outstandingly well for himself. I think the OP's brother will probably be just fine.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by ericsnow

These treatments don't stifle anything. They improve their eye contact, vocabulary, ability to read body language, etc. Basic social skills.

If the treatments help basic social skills, then sure, go for it. I'm just saying, it's not like, a horrible affliction. My kid hasn't had problems with eye contact or vocabulary, but he would probably welcome additional skills in reading body language. He happens to be minoring now in Psychology and is quite fascinated by what he is learning, probably in some part, because he has experienced being someone who is somewhat " outside the norm".

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by gwynnhwyfar

Originally posted by ericsnow

If the treatments help basic social skills, then sure, go for it.

(THis is for most Aspie's just saying.. not a hit on you..)
Some Aspie's and autistic kids have issues with Looking at people in the eyes.. Goto wrongplanet.net and search sunglasses or eye contact and so on. We dont look people in the eyes for the most part because we don't like to it bothers us, and so on.. Some(me) wear sunglasses so we dont have to stare at people. Plus when we force ourselves to look at people in the eyes its not good for us.. we sit and think about how long to look, are we staring and so on..

Anyway I agree with you on the most part.. But i dont know maybe social cues are a worrisome only when i am trying to get a job or something because it makes us look out of place and such.. but i don't know..

I have never heard of any cure to treat main issues you guys are talking about.. Eye contact, and other things are a learned process, how can some pill make you do these things? That is why they have therapists to help with these things... I have never ever heard of any drug to help with social interactions, eye contact, and whatever else you are saying.. Really I haven't.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThichHeadedOther than that i don't have any other ideas for you because Autism is one of those things that can no be cured as of yet. But if it were to be cured we would be missing out on alot of things..
Alot of famous people are Aspies.. Bill Gates, Einstein and Thomas Jefferson to name a few. the last 2 are suspected to having it.. the 1st one definitely does..

Severe autism and aspergers are completely different things. Curing someone with low functioning autism would not mean curing Einstein of his genius. You can indeed be a genius without having aspergers and you can also have aspergers without being a genius.
edit on 26-12-2010 by riley because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj
reply to post by ericsnow

I think you'll find that the internet is oft abuzz with miracle cures..

I know for some reason people think that doctors are ignorant, but just because you saw a suggestive study or video on the internet doesn't mean you can cure cancer or autism..

Well since Doctors can't cure either cancer or autism where else do you suggest one look?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 08:45 PM
link   
Hi Ericsnow! At this time, there is no "cure" for autism, or Asperger's as far as I know. (My son is autistic, now high-functioning) There are things that can be done to mitigate aspects that are bothersome for your brother. For example, my son is on a gluten-free diet now. I was very skeptical, but have to admit that any gluten in his diet zones him out and increases his autistic tendencies. (Humming, fingers in the ears, pacing) It bothered my son so much that he now reads ingredient labels and will not take food from someone without asking about gluten or wheat.

Because of deficiencies in his diet due to picky eating, he is on some supplements such as the B6+magnesium and a calcium/D supplement because he won't eat dairy. Just do your research, try one thing at a time and remember, every person is different. What works for some won't work for others.

With Aspergers, there are ways to cope. I had a very good teacher tell me once that kids that are smart will find ways to work around their deficiencies. Eye contact? I had to be taught - I tend to look just to the left or right of a person's eyes. It bugs me to make direct eye contact. For my son, we're just working on getting him to face the right direction when talking to someone!
The person who said "pick your battles" earlier is very wise!

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:55 AM
link   
Sorry I didn't watch the vids.

www.drcarley.com...

This woman is very radical, a 'CT nut' and 100% anti-vaccine (if that puts you off, don't even bother clicking the link), and I've heard she has quite a track record of helping parents successfully reverse autism if acted on early enough.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:23 AM
link   
Good work. More people should be aware of things like this. I was once thought to have asperger's and still have quirks within my personality, but nearly every negative symptom has disappeared over the last couple of years. My symptoms went all the way back into my earliest memories, getting worse or better depending on stress levels and emotional/physical health.

I ended up getting well by temporarily taking a range of high-dose nutrients and repairing the gut one step at a time. I have since reduced my vitamin intake from over 20 pills a day to an average of 8. Now, as long as I stay on the nutrients, stick to a fairly strict diet, and do a miantenance routine to keep the gut health 3-4 times a year, my symptoms are virtually non-existant, except for the occasional flare up.

Many with Asperger's also have what has been postulated to be a blood disorder called Pyroluria. It's a chemical that's excreted in the urine which binds to vitamin b-6 & zinc, leaving these two severely deficient. I showed up as having severe pyroluria when tested in 2008. There is a high correlation between bad gut health, lyme disease, & pyroluria. All I know is that once I got my gut in order, I was able to come off of the high doses of b6 & zinc, taking only niacin & ascorbic acid in high doses now. Interestingly, niacin in very high doses is a profound anti-fungal and treats lyme disease as well.

Whatever the root cause may be, I approached my illness by attempting to treat every correlation with the least amount of work. I figured that the cause wasn't black and white, and the body had undergone stages of breakdown to get me in the diseased state. I figured to get well, I'd have to work on all the major organs and factor in all the environmental changes of modern times. This meant becoming obsessive compulsive with monitoring what I put into my body, as well as what humanity had put into the environment since the industrial revolution. There's a lot to research, and to switch around to figure out what works best for one's self, but I am sure that a great many of illnesses which people have could be treated or even cured with the proper lifestyle/habit adjustments.

It's been about 30 months since I began treatment and I can honestly say that I'm still slightly improving as the months roll on. I'm very happy to have stumbled onto the high-dose nutrients as a quick put-me-together when I was entirely out of it, and am ecstatic that I eventually went deeper and truly healed myself internally so that I now don't have to take a handful of pills to get me by.
edit on 27-12-2010 by unityemissions because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:38 AM
link   
There is no cure for Autism at all however some symptoms can be relieved no doubt.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by riley

The reason we are able to be smart and make logical decisions is because of the Autism and AS. Our lacking in social interactions and what not makes up for how we comprehend things.. Logically and methodically. If you take away the autism part i don't think we would be able to concentrate on something as much as we do.

This is going on past exp with me. But then again who knows.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Don't try to push him into religious cults either...

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
have you thought of animal therapy? I hear people saying that he mightn not need treatment and such and maybe that is the case, as sometimes what some see as an affliction can be a gift in some aspects (like some said he might be really good at arts and such)
but I know some who need therapy really benafit from work with animals, there is a barn a state over from were I am at that does therapy with horses and they seem to work wonders for those types of things. I went to a lecture by the people who run the barn and they talked about how eating proper organic foods and useing only organic materials for autistic kids helps them alot too.
anyway here is a link to them they just recently started up on youtube, but if you can't make it to them in Ohio maybe there is a barn nearby or I've heard of other animals providing such help like dolphins or even just haveing pet cats and/or dogs around can help

www.youtube.com...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join