It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

torn between a dream and a principle

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:44 PM
link   
i need some advice from somebody about a decision im trying to make. my family dont seem to get the reasons its a hard choice.

im 23 and have been a web designer for 2 years. i spent 3 years at university studying it and have a degree in the subject. over the past 6 months ive been finding it very boring, unfulfilling and i dont enjoy it anymore so ive been looking into a career change towards soemthing ive wanted to do since childhood.

I dont want to have wasted the 3 years i spent at uni so i want to use my degree still. ive always wanted to fly planes but cant afford the £80,000 it costs to be a commercial pilot so ive been looking into joining the RAF.

ive taken and passed my aptitude tests and have the necessary qualifications to join the RAF at an officer level.

but im quite strongly against the fighting in iraq and afghanistan which is most likely where id be sent. so im thinking...do i follow it through because its something ive always wanted to do or stick to my principle?

the money isnt bad either after training.

when i asked my dad he just thinks joining the military is good for discipline (even tho ive always been a fairly good kid) and my mum immediately didnt like the idea she thinks ill get blown up.

any advice is welcome

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Silicis n Volvo

Hi Bud

I was in the U.S. Navy for over 10 years and I'll tell you, boy oh boy was it easy and fun. I made some good money (that I spent mostly on beer and chasing girls-- I was stationed in Japan)

I always tell any young man or gal to think about serving your country. You'll never regret it .

Your new best internet pal,
Ronnie "TOUGH GUY" Williams
edit on 25-12-2010 by inchworm because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 01:58 PM
link   
reply to post by inchworm

a friend of mine is in the army and he loves it...hes been afghanistan twice but he strongly believes the war is right.

i know it would feel good to fight for your country but im not sure about fighting in a war i dont agree with...thats where the principle comes in and the decision has to be made lol

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Dreams are things you have every night.

Principles are things you have for life.

Are you sure you know which is which?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 02:03 PM
link   
While I do not regret the time I spent in the military, I served in the Reagan years. The world was a different place then. With the current path our nation is taking(and the decline of the UK actually SEEMS farther advanced than ours at this point), I would not advise anybody to join the military of any nation. Unless you are prepared to kill and imprison the innocent, to follow corrupt leaders, to be brainwashed into believing those leaders know best and to help destroy the sovereignty of your own and other nations, I would suggest another path.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Your still young yet and have many years ahead of you.. Stick to principles.. Work hard and save up for flight training... Wouldnt recommend the military to anyone.. Been there.. Done that.. NEVER AGAIN..

new topics

top topics

join