It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GSLV blastoff ends in failure (India)

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:33 PM
link   
One of the main customers India has for this technology is Israel.

Israel spends 100 million dollars a year on a space program. A lot of it is for spy satellites.

Instead of complaining about India wasting money, when it isn't imo, try asking why Israel needs to have spy satellites.

source

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Macdon

They have 1.5 billion mouths to feed and live worse than any animal on earth, basically living on top of their faeces and they spend money on this. Yet we are asked to sponsor one of their mouths to the tune of $80 per month or year or whatever.

They have institutionalised racism in the caste system as evidenced by some of their racist responses on this thread.
I agree. One of the Earths oldest civilizations and still one of the most primitive.
edit on 12/25/2010 by wyvern1111 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 06:24 PM
link   
reply to post by letmeDANz

NASA has never denied that there may be water on the moon, ever since the manned lunar missions they've suspected it.

But yes Chandrayaan assisted with confirming it, using NASA equipment.

edit on 25/12/10 by Chadwickus because: (no reason given)

jra

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Havick007
The country has a bad enough economy and social structure, it's no surprise they cahnt launch a rocket.

That's interesting, because India has one of the fastest growing economies in the world. While I don't deny that they still have a lot of problems to over come and solve. India having a space program is not a bad thing. Having a high tech job sector is a good thing. Especially when some of the Satellites they launch are used for Education like with EDUSAT

The state has already started a non-interactive channel in DTH (Direct-to-Home) to be brought to all its 12,500 schools wherein 5,000,000 children stand to benefit.

Oh and India has launched many successful rockets. Their first successful launch was in 1980 and they've had many successes since.
edit on 25-12-2010 by jra because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

India's largest rocket lost control and erupted in a fireball Saturday, dealing another blow to the country's space program after back-to-back failures of the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle.

Well this just happened so this is the only info right now. I will add more as it comes in

Spaceflightnow.com

What does it matter? These Neanderthals just sentenced a doctor whom did nothing more than save lives to life in prison. Politicians deserve the same.

edition.cnn.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 07:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigyin
One of the main customers India has for this technology is Israel.

Israel spends 100 million dollars a year on a space program. A lot of it is for spy satellites.

Instead of complaining about India wasting money, when it isn't imo, try asking why Israel needs to have spy satellites.

source

Try asking why ANYONE needs spy satellites? It's not just Jews, you racist fool.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:17 PM
link   

reply to post by SSimon

hmmm yup.... i just think they have more important issues to focus on..

Well then; I hope the worlds 'largest emerging economy consults with youbefore they attempt anything more ambitious than indoor plumbing....

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 10:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Britguy

Man i'm not racist, are u serious!! I am only stating the obvious, they have enough social, economic and infrastructure problems on Earth to worry about launching sht into outta space!!!

There is such a thing as being overly ambitious! Call me a racist!!, what a load of crap!!

Some would say the same about the United States with a worthless currency and never ending, fear mongering money pit called the War on Terror. You can't travel by air now without having someone take a naked picture of your junk or simply grab it. We flushed our liberty down the toilet and nobody working or using the airports care.

If we had maintained the momentum of the 1960s space program, we would have a colony on Mars by now. We gave up our ambition a long time ago. We would rather spend 3 trillion on illegal wars that kill hundreds of thousands of civilians. We're thirsty for blood as long as the dead kids aren't Christians.

Those living in glass houses shouldn't throw stones.
edit on 25-12-2010 by andrewh7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:30 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
reply to post by Havick007

How can it not be racist? You attack their ability to launch the thing and go on to state that they'd probably lose control and cause havoc / pose a danger to other satellites. And this based only, it seems, on their third world country status.

Isn't all the junk already up there, causing a hazard, launched by the far superior western nations?

I don't know 'Havick, so I don't know what was in his mind when he said that. However, what he said isn't necessarily racist. He simply said he does not think India's space program is technologically advanced enough to be successful.

What if he said that -- say for example -- Switzerland does not have the technological ability to have a successful space program at the moment (and they don't), would that also be racist? Or doesn't it count as racism, because Switzerland is populated mostly by white Europeans?

Why would it make a difference if he was talking about Swiss as opposed to talking about Indians? What if it was an Indian who said this about Switzerland? Would it be racism then? Why or why not?

Havick perhaps could have have been a bit more tactful in his post, but just saying a country does not have technological ability isn't the same as being a racist.

edit on 12/25/2010 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:32 PM
link   
reply to post by minigunner

Ever heard of Vimanas? Ancient Indians possessed these crafts long ago. America and the rest of the world is just discovering them. So all they are doing is reverse engineering something which was here in India eons ago.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 11:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

If you have been here to India, seen things, does not mean that everything is crap here. And when you launch something you are bound to failure. There is nothing that I could see that will make someone stop this progress. Saying that you should stop launching space programs just because you fail is foolish.

Did Columbia blew up killing many people? You are prone to failure. That didnt stop them from continuously marching out to space.

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:42 AM
link   
So what's the big deal if one satellite launch vehicle fails? India's put its flag on the Moon by the way!

Now for those smug guys who feel that the US of A hasn't had its share of disasters, take a peek here....All failures! So why drag India over the coals for a couple of failures? Now here is an example of the Atlas' history.

Atlas (ICBM-Based) Failure History (1979-2005)

11/26/1959 Atlas Able 20D CC LC14 Able IVB PL shroud fail 45s FTO
2/26/1960 Atlas Agena A 29D CC LC14 Midas 1 Agena failed to sep FTO
9/25/1960 Atlas Able 80D CC LC12 Able VA Able oxid. malf., 1290 km apogee FTO
10/11/1960 Atlas Agena A 57D PA LC1-1 Samos 1 Agena failure (umbilical disc. fail) FTO
12/15/1960 Atlas Able 91D CC LC12 Able VB Atlas control loss at 70s FTO
4/25/1961 Atlas D 100D CC LC14 MA-3 Atlas control, RSO 40s, Merc escapeFTO
8/23/1961 Atlas Agena B 111D CC LC12 Ranger 1 (AA1) Agena failed to restart (LEO)
9/9/1961 Atlas Agena B 106D PA LC1-1 Samos 3 Exploded on pad at T-0 FTO
11/18/1961 Atlas Agena B 117D CC LC12 Ranger 2 (AA2)Agena roll gyro failed, no restart(LEO)
11/22/1961 Atlas Agena B 108D PA LC1-1 Samos 4 Atlas failure, 200 km apogee FTO
5/9/1962 Atlas Centaur F-1 CC LC36A R&D Centaur insul. panel fail 55s FSO*
7/22/1962 Atlas Agena B 145D CC LC12 Mariner 1 (AA5) Bad Atlas guido commands, RSO 293s FTO
12/17/1962 Atlas Agena B 131D PA LC1-2 Midas 6 Exploded at 50s. Failed to orbit FTO
6/12/1963 Atlas Agena B 139D PA LC1-2 Midas 8 Exploded at liftoff. FTO
6/30/1964 Atlas Centaur AC-3 CC LC36A R&D RL10 actuator, Centaur shutdown FTO
10/8/1964 SLV-3 Agena D 7103 PA LC2-4 AFP-206 RSO, failed to orbit FTO
12/11/1964 Atlas Centaur AC-4 CC LV36A Surveyor MM Centaur restart failed (LEO)
1/21/1965 Atlas D 172D V 576B3 ABRES MTV-1/OV1-1 Deploy from ABRES failed, no orbit FTO
3/2/1965 Atlas Centaur AC-5 CC LC36A Surveyor SD-1 Exploded on pad T-0, booster cutoff FTO
5/14/1965 Atlas D 68D V ABRESB3 OV1-3/Mk3 OF Exploded at 120s, no orbit FTO
7/12/1965 SLV-3 Agena D 7112 V PALC2-4 AFP-206 Control failed, RSO FTO
10/25/1965 SLV-3 Agena D 5301 CC LC14 GATV 5002 Agena start failed, explded at 6 min FTO
5/17/1966 SLV-3 Agena D 5303 CC LC14 GATV 5004 Atlas control failure FTO
4/8/1966 Atlas Centaur AC-8 CC LC36B Surveyor SD-3 Centaur restart failed (LEO)
7/14/1966 Atlas D OV1 58D V ABRESB3 OV1-7/OV1-8 OV1-7 kick stg failed, OV1-8 ok FTO&
7/27/1967 Atlas D 92D V ABRESB3 OV1-11/12/86 OV1-11 no orbit FTO&
4/6/1967 SLV-3 Agena-D 5102 CC LC12 ATS 2 (AA21) Stranded in GTO, decayd 2 yrs (GTO)
8/16/1968 Atlas Burner 2 7004 V SLC3E P68-1 (OV5-8) PL shroud no sep, failed to orbit FTO
8/10/1968 SLV-3C Centaur AC-17 CC LC36A ATS 4 Centaur restart failed (LEO)
11/30/1970 SLV-3C Centaur AC-21 CC LC36B OAO B PL shroud no sep FTO
5/9/1971 SLV-3C Centaur AC-24 CC LC36A Mariner 8 Centaur guidance failed, RSO FTO
12/4/1971 SLV-3A Agena D 5503A CC LC13 AFP-827 Atlas failure FTO
2/20/1975 SLV-3D Centaur AC-33 CC LC36A Intelsat 4 F-6 Atlas electrical failure, RSO 450s FTO
4/13/1975 Atlas F 71F V SLC3W STP P72-2 Failed to orbit FTO
9/30/1977 SLV-3D Centaur AC-43 CC LC36A Intelsat 4A F-5 Atlas booster turbopump failed 55s FTO
5/29/1980 Atlas-F/Star37 19F V SLC3W NOAA B ISS (3rd stg) fuel deplete early (LEO/P)
12/9/1980 Atlas E/MSD 68E V SLC3W NOSS 4 / LIPS 1 Failed to orbit FTO
12/19/1981 Atlas E/SVS 76E V SLC3W GPS 7 Failed to orbit FTO
6/9/1984 Atlas G Centaur AC-62 CC LC36B Intelsat 5 F-9 No Centaur restart, LOX tank failed (LEO)
3/26/1987 Atlas G Centaur AC-67 CC LC36B FLTSATCOM 6 Atlas struck by lightning FTO
4/18/1991 Atlas I Centaur AC-70 CC LC36B BS-3H Centaur failed to start, RSO 6m FTO
8/22/1992 Atlas I Centaur AC-71 CC LC36B Galaxy 1R Centaur failed to start, RSO FTO
3/25/1993 Atlas I Centaur AC-74 CC LC36B UFO 1 Low booster thrust >25s, low orbit (EEO)

And that's just the tip of the iceberg. There have been dozens of failures from the Vanguard project to the Apollo missions to the space shuttles. And I'm not even including the dozens of failures from the erstwhile Soviet Union to ESA, JAXA, CSA and so on.

So there's nothing spectacular or Earth shaking in a couple of Indian failures. Yes, the Chandrayaan II mission to the Moon may be slightly delayed, but what's the big deal? Why is such an issue being made out of this?

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 12:56 AM
link   

reply to post by mblahnikluver

I totally agree, all the money spent on that last 10 years of war coulda been spent on Health and welfare, infrastructure. but yeah hmm apparently the governments are smarter than us lol what a joke.

For your information the benefits of the Indian space program......

Today, the Indian Space Research Organization (ISRO) employs 16,000 Indian nationals managing a budget of just under a billion dollars; not light years away from the budgets of China and Japan. In comparison it may be considerably less than NASA’s $17 billion expenditure.

India today has the largest network of operational satellites compared to anyone else in the world. They form the backbone for the boom in the mobile phone market, satellite television, monsoon forecasting, geological surveys, crop analysis and military intelligence, all of which rely on satellite technology. The need for such services and the potential for commercial growth makes it is necessary for India to invest in space research unlike other nations merely investing in space research to display scientific might.

Data from Indian Remote Sensing satellites are being successfully used for various applications of resources survey and management under the National Natural Resources Management System (NNRMS). Following is the list of those applications:

* Pre-harvest crop area and production estimation of major crops.
* Drought monitoring and assessment based on vegetation condition.
* Flood risk zone mapping and flood damage assessment.
* Hydro-geomorphological maps for locating underground water resources for drilling well.
* Irrigation command area status monitoring
* Snow-melt run-off estimates for planning water use in down stream projects
* Land use and land cover mapping
* Urban planning
* Forest survey
* Wetland mapping
* Environmental impact analysis
* Mineral Prospecting
* Coastal studies
* Integrated Mission for Sustainable Development (initiated in 1992) for generating locale-specific prescriptions for integrated land and water resources development in 174 districts.

And finally, it has set a world record of launching 10 satellites into orbit simultaneously!

India Cartosat-2A
India IMS-1/TWSAT
Germany RUBIN-8
Canada CanX-6/NTS
Canada CanX-2
Japan Cute-1.7+APD II
Netherlands Delfi-C3
Japan SEEDS-2
Germany COMPASS-1
Denmark AAUSAT-II

Don't forget that Chandrayaan-I found massive quantities of water on the Moon when NASA only suspected its presence!

And digitally enhanced super high resolution Indian Remote Sensing Satellite (IRS) data is being used all over the world.

Amen.

www.suite101.com...

edit on 26-12-2010 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

(post by exo87 removed for a manners violation)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 02:11 AM
link   
I think the company that built the Athletes Village for the Commonwealth Games also built this rocket. LOL!

Seriously speaking though.. it's all part of the learning curve for India. Stuff like this happens unfortunately.. and it won't be the last time.

I just wish that they'd address their serious poverty and population issues before pretending to be world players in anything else. India pander to their own ego just a little bit too much for my liking. This might even be considered as karma.

IRM

edit on 26/12/10 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:36 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:37 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan
I think the company that built the Athletes Village for the Commonwealth Games also built this rocket. LOL!

Seriously speaking though.. it's all part of the learning curve for India. Stuff like this happens unfortunately.. and it won't be the last time.

I just wish that they'd address their serious poverty and population issues before pretending to be world players in anything else. India pander to their own ego just a little bit too much for my liking. This might even be considered as karma.

IRM

edit on 26/12/10 by InfaRedMan because: (no reason given)

I usually like to be civil, but really, did u even read the other posts in this thread? Because 1) others have said what you just did, and 2) there have already been counterpoints posted.
And have you even looked at the many many successful satellite launches on Indian rockets within the last 20 years or so?
edit on 26-12-2010 by Irako because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by InfaRedMan

Hmmmm...Like Obama going begging to India for trade. Managed a $10 Billion sale and 50,000 American jobs!!! Yeah, imagine what you call a 'poor' nation doling out aid to help Americans to get jobs at home! Sucks, doesn't it?

And oh yes, the Americans are going all out too to woo the Indians to buy American weapons amounting to $100 Billion for the next ten years. And they're desperate for that lucrative $15 Billion multi role combat jets contract that is up for grabs. But heck, do the American F/A-18s and the vintage F-16s match up to the Dassault Rafale, Eurofighter Typhoon, Mig 35, and Saab JAS-39 Gripen? Nope! That'll be egg on Obama's face when the contract for 120 aircraft will be given to someone else creating thousands of jobs elsewhere! Oh woe!

And oh, by the way, are you aware that India is the 14th largest economy in the world and the second fastest growing after China? America's growth rate - 1.4%. India's growth rate - 9.2%. Projected for 2011-2012 - 10%. Wow!

Merry Christmas!

edit on 26-12-2010 by OrionHunterX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Did anyone actually think INDIA could launch a rocket?, come on really, India

Dank you come again.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5 >>

join