It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

GSLV blastoff ends in failure (India)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:04 AM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

I can't seem to click on the FULL STORY link on Spaceflight Now.

Is it just me?

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

There isn't a full story yet. I only knew about it cause a friend informed me of it and I saw it on the website. The only mention is what I posted about it.

Ok I just checked and now they have a full story on it

full story

When I posted it, it had just happened
so they only had a snipet.

That site rocks btw to anyone who likes space info

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:12 AM
link   

Sorry OP i started with replies relative to the topic but hahaha really offended me. I will ignore anymore post's like that. Also i still stand by my original post. I was not being racist, only trying to raise the point that there are many more issues India could and should be focusing on. Yes perhaps they should have outsourced. There are many companies that can assist in launching sat's into orbit, and most likely more cost-effective and more reliable.

I take total offense to anyone that calls me a racist! Perhaps read up on world affairs and issues in other countries before you question my comments. Yes my first post could have been abit more lightly worded but it is fustrating to see them trying this when in the year 2010 - almost 2011 it still fails and crashes. The entire human race has had over 40 years to get it right, perhaps some international co-operaton is needed!!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:14 AM
link   

Yep I see now.

Found some pics of it exploding:

From here:

www.thehindu.com...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP

Originally posted by Havick007
Haha is all i can say!! The country has a bad enough economy and social structure, it's no surprise they cahnt launch a rocket.
They can launch a rocket, they have done it before.

That's why Chandrayaan-1's mission received the AIAA 2009 Space Systems Award, because of India Space Research Organization's "outstanding accomplishments in the design, development, launch and operations of India's first scientific mission, Chandrayaan-1, operating beyond earth's orbit".

Also the mission hasnt been totally trouble free -

The mission was launched in 22 October 2008 and expected to operate for 2 years. However, at 09.02 (UTC) on 29 August 2009 communication with the spacecraft was suddenly lost. The probe had operated for 312 days. The craft will remain in orbit for approximately another 1000 days, eventually crashing into the lunar surface.[79][80]

member of the science advisory board of Chandrayaan-1 said that it is difficult to ascertain reasons for the loss of contact.[80] ISRO Chairman -Madhavan Nair- said that due to very high radiation, power-supply units controlling both the computer systems on board failed, snapping the communication connectivity.[81] However, information released later showed that the power supply failed due to overheating.[70][71][82

Source - en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:27 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:28 AM
link   

Sorry OP i started with replies relative to the topic but hahaha really offended me. I will ignore anymore post's like that. Also i still stand by my original post. I was not being racist, only trying to raise the point that there are many more issues India could and should be focusing on. Yes perhaps they should have outsourced. There are many companies that can assist in launching sat's into orbit, and most likely more cost-effective and more reliable.

it's ok, I dont' think you were being racist at all. If that is how you feel you are entitled to it

Yeah they could outsource but I think it's great when any country attempts to send anything into space. That is a big task to take on. I might be bias since I am in school for aerospace engineering and I LOVE all things space related

I take total offense to anyone that calls me a racist! Perhaps read up on world affairs and issues in other countries before you question my comments. Yes my first post could have been abit more lightly worded but it is fustrating to see them trying this when in the year 2010 - almost 2011 it still fails and crashes. The entire human race has had over 40 years to get it right, perhaps some international co-operaton is needed!!

Again I wouldn't apologize for stating how you feel, people shouldn't make statements like that
Hey I have been called a Nazi a few times and a racist. It's just words when people can't think of anything else to say.

Well they will try again I am sure. They aren't like many other countries but they are getting there. With the US not having the shuttle soon
someone will have to take over, you never know it could be India one day.

Happy Holidays

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Yes it is good to show initniative and forward thinking but i do believe it was premature, there are so many things they could be focusing on compared to a space launch.
edit on 25-12-2010 by Havick007 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:07 AM
link   
It's an utter shame that, despite India's determination, they've been having massive drawbacks.

No matter...India will get there...they've already made massive accomplishments in space like Chandrayaan-1, on it's first mission, found water on Moon....and I'm sure they'll make many more...

They better spend more on their space industry
...one of my life long dreams is to work there!
edit on 25-12-2010 by BlackPoison94 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:15 AM
link   
reply to post by BlackPoison94

Are you serious! you want them to spend more on space travel? hmmm! that is all i can say, and if u dont get my post then read through the thread!

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:46 AM
link   

I was not being racist, only trying to raise the point that there are many more issues India could and should be focusing on. Yes perhaps they should have outsourced. There are many companies that can assist in launching sat's into orbit, and most likely more cost-effective and more reliable.

You are trying to point out that India is being overly ambitious but take a look at the object being launched, its GSAT 5P a communication satellite not a mission to the sun or anything. Its a necessity. And that too, to remove backwardness in villages etc(one thing that you pointed out). It will be beaming TV, and communications.
edit on Sat Dec 25 2010 by DontTreadOnMe because: Mod Note: Big Quote – Please Review This Link.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 09:52 AM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

I read through your thread.
Sure, India needs to concentrate on many things...they're brushing up though...I've seen massive improvements when I went their in August...

Let the Indians have some fun.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:35 PM
link   

reply to post by Britguy

Man i'm not racist, are u serious!! I am only stating the obvious, they have enough social, economic and infrastructure problems on Earth to worry about launching sht into outta space!!!

There is such a thing as being overly ambitious! Call me a racist!!, what a load of crap!!

america also have social, economic and infrastructure problems ^^ UK too...and europe...and and
edit on 25-12-2010 by angrydog because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:37 PM
link   
STOP IT WITH THE GOING BACK AND FORTH ON WHO IS BETTER AND WHAT NOT!

This is about the launch failure not who has the best country or anything like that.

Don't derail my thread!

Thanks Chad for the pics. That really sucks and I do hope the next one goes up. It could happen to ANY country.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 02:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

India's largest rocket lost control and erupted in a fireball Saturday, dealing another blow to the country's space program after back-to-back failures of the Geosynchronous Satellite Launch Vehicle.

Well this just happened so this is the only info right now. I will add more as it comes in

Spaceflightnow.com

Sticking to topic here, ah hum guys.

It's a shame. I have no doubt they will find the issues and correct them, as intelligence is hardly a western world resource only.

As far all who argue that a space presence is a luxury when compared to more "earthly concerns" I think you must never have heard of GPS, weather sats, and the massive infrastructure (jobs of all levels and people who earn a living in those jobs) which a space presence requires.

S&F

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Havick007

dude u need to realize it was India's space program (Chandrayaan) that brought the fact of water of moon that NASA was denying for years.
after chandrayaans discovery & announcements, NASA had no more chance of denial.

i think u need to give your brain a wash, deny some ignorance and then try ranting

geez
edit on 25-12-2010 by letmeDANz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:18 PM
link   
Great post OP.
Sorry, wasn't trying to derail your thread but some folks get off on random statements.

like they say failure is the stepping stone for success, this indeed would be.
India's space program has done a great deal (though it is difficult i believe for ppl to accept it due to their racist nature) but it is true.
India has accomplished a lot in the recent past.

GSLV - Indian Space Research Organization

S+F

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:11 PM
link   
It's a shame to see so much effort go into any project and it goes up in smoke. Many people will have worked hard to get this thing off the ground. Must be heartbreaking to see it blow up.

I don't think India or any country does this sort of thing for fun. They do it for money. I don't know the ins and outs of this particular project but I would think a lot of investment will have been tied up in that rocket. That is other people paid to have something put into orbit. That investment provides income to India and benifits the country.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by letmeDANz
Great post OP.
Sorry, wasn't trying to derail your thread but some folks get off on random statements.

like they say failure is the stepping stone for success, this indeed would be.
India's space program has done a great deal (though it is difficult i believe for ppl to accept it due to their racist nature) but it is true.
India has accomplished a lot in the recent past.

GSLV - Indian Space Research Organization

S+F

Thnx for posting this topic!
India's satellite launch program actually has a long list of accomplishments: en.wikipedia.org... .
They've been putting things into space for a very long time, on a peanut-sized budget.

To the people that say a poor country shouldn't be trying to get into space: the reason India is poor now is because of this kind of mentality. Their economic and political history has always been run on slogans like "feed the poor" or "stop poverty." No one has ever gotten wealthy without great ambition and vision. This applies to organizations and countries as well. This is a fact of our world.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join