It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hunters searching for meteorite from meteor "bigger than a cow"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Looks like three teams are looking for a meteorite from the June 3 incident talked about here. Here's the June 3rd local TV report from Komo

Current story from Seattle P.I.

"Anytime you have a sonic boom like that, the chance of having surviving meteorites is pretty high," says UW astronomer Brownlee, who estimates the June 3 meteor was "bigger than a cow."

The UW represents one of three teams currently tracking the June 3 fall. Scientists there have used seismographs to place the meteor explosion about six miles northeast of Snohomish.

I would like to take a look myself - anyone have any ideas how I can find where they are looking? Besides your eyes is there any other way to find a meteorite? Like using a metal detector or something else? This place is less than an hour from my location & I could use the exercise if nothing else.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by outsider]

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:16 PM
link   
im sure there will be a crater..

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Iron meteorites (fairly rare, if I recall) can be found by metal detectors, yes. But stony meteorites can't be detected that way.

A good idea is to look at meteorites online and educate yourself about what they look like. It's easiest if you go out with an experienced person.

Check your local astronomy club/university.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by outsider
Looks like three teams are looking for a meteorite from the June 3 incident talked about here. Here's the June 3rd local TV report from Komo

Current story from Seattle P.I.

"Anytime you have a sonic boom like that, the chance of having surviving meteorites is pretty high," says UW astronomer Brownlee, who estimates the June 3 meteor was "bigger than a cow."

The UW represents one of three teams currently tracking the June 3 fall. Scientists there have used seismographs to place the meteor explosion about six miles northeast of Snohomish.

I would like to take a look myself - anyone have any ideas how I can find where they are looking? Besides your eyes is there any other way to find a meteorite? Like using a metal detector or something else? This place is less than an hour from my location & I could use the exercise if nothing else.

[edit on 6-7-2004 by outsider]

I live in the town of Snohomish and let me tell you what a wild show that was..I had absolutly no idea what it was but it scared the umm....bejesus outta me..I havent heard too much on the hunt for the meteor..however if they were searching 6 miles north east then they would have been looking in the Machias or Lake Rossinger area, about thats about 6 miles ne of me. hmmm If I see anything in the news or something i will post it.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 02:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jennilee

I live in the town of Snohomish and let me tell you what a wild show that was..I had absolutly no idea what it was but it scared the umm....bejesus outta me

I'm in Seattle & the sonic boom got me out of bed as well.

Wow, someone on ATS from the little town of Snohomish. I was looking at houses with land out there about three years ago and I ate in some restaurant right in town. Nice little quiet town.

I have a friend in Lake Stevens nearby, so I'm going to do some exploring there when I get some time.

posted on Jul, 7 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   
It IS beautiful here in the quiet little town of Snohomish...it is however growing fast.
I have lived here for 22 of my 28 years of life and I lub it. My sister used to live in Lake Stevens..She just moved to some acres in Granite Falls...another beautiful town...nice to see another face from the area here outsider..

top topics

join