It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is the Flying Dutchman no more?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 26 2010 @ 10:44 PM
link   
Very interesting topic so I must star and flag it because it has been a while since I read or heard anything about the infamous ghost ship. I remember having a book regarding mysteries of the world and it was in there along with others, I should probably try and find it and post something here. Yet I haven't seen that book in ages and wondering if it was given away...

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 09:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vicky32

Which reminds me of a freaky story I read in Ian Wilson's book about ghosts in the 1990s. He tells the story of a plumber asked to work in the basement of a city council building in the UK some time in the 1980s. As the plumber was working, a whole Roman legion came marching through one wall, across the cellar and out the opposite wall. For part of the trip, they were marched on the floor, for the rest of it, beneath floor level. (This was because when the council building was built, the original hillock it was on was levelled.)
Well, the plumber took to his scrapers and was out of there toot sweet! The receptionist laughed at him and said "Oh I should have warned you, they do that every day at this time!"
I theorise (as did Ian Wilson) that the Roman legion ghosts are simply "recordings" - but they've been around for at least 1600 to as much as 1900 years!
Vicky
I have just noticed that earlier in the thread, posters have mentioned this story, but with variations that make it different from Ian Wilson's story. We have few ghosts here - not enough technological history?
edit on 26/12/10 by Vicky32 because: To add something...

WOW! That wold be a paranormal investigator's DREAM! You are right it would be a recording or residual haunting. But to know when they will be there? Very unusual. Often you have legends about things that sound like residual hauntings happening "Every year on the date' or 'Every 20 years' but to have one so regularly is unheard of! Wish I knew where this was, I would sell anything to fly over to investigate.

posted on Dec, 27 2010 @ 10:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by MadameGuillotine

Originally posted by Vicky32

Which reminds me of a freaky story I read in Ian Wilson's book about ghosts in the 1990s. He tells the story of a plumber asked to work in the basement of a city council building in the UK some time in the 1980s. As the plumber was working, a whole Roman legion came marching through one wall, across the cellar and out the opposite wall. For part of the trip, they were marched on the floor, for the rest of it, beneath floor level. (This was because when the council building was built, the original hillock it was on was levelled.)
Well, the plumber took to his scrapers and was out of there toot sweet! The receptionist laughed at him and said "Oh I should have warned you, they do that every day at this time!"
I theorise (as did Ian Wilson) that the Roman legion ghosts are simply "recordings" - but they've been around for at least 1600 to as much as 1900 years!
Vicky
I have just noticed that earlier in the thread, posters have mentioned this story, but with variations that make it different from Ian Wilson's story. We have few ghosts here - not enough technological history?
edit on 26/12/10 by Vicky32 because: To add something...

WOW! That wold be a paranormal investigator's DREAM! You are right it would be a recording or residual haunting. But to know when they will be there? Very unusual. Often you have legends about things that sound like residual hauntings happening "Every year on the date' or 'Every 20 years' but to have one so regularly is unheard of! Wish I knew where this was, I would sell anything to fly over to investigate.

Hi MadameGuillotine,
Ian Wilson's book is In Search of Ghosts, In Search of Ghosts
and I have just given you the Amazon.co,uk details... Sadly, it's years since I read the book, and I don't have it to hand - but if you can get the book, you will be able to find out more..
Vicky

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:16 PM
link   
My wife has told me she has seen a Spanish galleon sailing off the coast of the Philippines near her coastal home. She described it luminous like a ghost ship "should" be and close enough to shore to see the sailors working on it.
I explained to her about the static which can accumulate on masts causing them to glow, but she describes the entire ship of glowing and thought it was translucent.

I am not saying this was the Flying Dutchman herself, but an interesting account anyhow.

She has also seen on a few occasions a Spanish couple walking up/down the pathway which ran alongside her home. She said they appeared as to be out for an evening stroll, in an unintelligible conversation and wearing period clothing. She says they carried on just like nothing was odd about their predicament or the situation.

Apparently paranormal activity is generally very active in the Philippines and more generally accepted there than a lot of other places.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 02:42 PM
link   
reply to post by MadameGuillotine

Well, if it was doomed to sail until "judgement day" then August 6 and 9, 1945 might have been "redemption" day for her! If those dates don't qualify, then how about 14 May 1948? With the current world situation, we may be forsaken, and judgement may have already come and gone. Peace be with the Dutchman.

posted on Dec, 28 2010 @ 11:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by MadameGuillotine

Well, if it was doomed to sail until "judgement day" then August 6 and 9, 1945 might have been "redemption" day for her! If those dates don't qualify, then how about 14 May 1948? With the current world situation, we may be forsaken, and judgement may have already come and gone. Peace be with the Dutchman.
Plagiarism, sir!

Damn you!

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Bunken Drum

WOW!
It sure was plagiarism! I swear I "scanned" through the posts and didn't see yours. You even mentioned Nagasaki and Hiroshima. My apologies! Great minds think alike I suppose.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 11:53 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Formerlyconfused, That is so cool! What amazing sights, I would have loved to see them.

Bunken and getready, You two are so depressing!
Seriously, I believe if Jugdement day had come, the world would be a lot better. I don't think the Devil can win. And even if he did I doubt God would continue to send souls to a place with no redemption. It would have been something like PD James' "Children of Men", suddenly no more babies.

Vicky, thanks for that I'll look for the book!

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by getreadyalready
reply to post by Bunken Drum

WOW!
It sure was plagiarism! I swear I "scanned" through the posts and didn't see yours. You even mentioned Nagasaki and Hiroshima. My apologies! Great minds think alike I suppose.
Lol! Fools seldom differ! Still, knowing we're fools is apparently the 1st step to being wise, so who knows, maybe 1 day we'll be great minds.
In my case, I'm not holding my breath. There always seems to be some niggly thing that needs doing in my life so I just dont get chance to take enough time to properly contemplate everything I think I know to come up with some kind of manifesto. I've wondered before if this kind of thing might have something to do with hauntings. Maybe when people know they're really onto something, even if, in the normal human fashion, they dont have what exactly they're onto fully worked out in their minds, & some catastrophy overtakes them before they finish what they're about, their spirit, or some part of it carries on; sort of sheer determination made manifest?

Personally, Polynesian women, Kava Kava & Coconuts would be a powerful incentive to sail to the Pacific, but I've also seen a photo of a modern sailing ship, that presumably had a steam engine also, rounding the cape. They actually had rows of men up on the cross-trees using their bodyweight to prevent the wind from ripping the furled sails off the masts. Now, for all the exotic delights of the Pacific I've experienced & those I have yet to, I'm not sure I'd have the kind of nuts needed to even attempt rounding the cape in a wooden sailing ship. Those Dutch blokes must have really meant it!
Still, maybe what they were onto was that doing so is a really, really bad idea & its taken them this long to discover that the Panama Canal proves that people have actually got their message? As you said, lets hope they're at peace.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join