It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Elusive Sahara Cheetah Caught on Camera

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 07:21 PM
link   
Hey all, thought this was worth sharing.

An elusive Saharan cheetah recently came into the spotlight in Niger, Africa, where a hidden camera snapped photos of the ghostly cat, whose pale coat and emaciated appearance distinguish it from other cheetahs.

I assume the emaciated appearance is due to lack of food in the area. It makes me wonder why they look emaciated as opposed to pygmy-sized.

SOURCE: www.livescience.com... cecom+%28LiveScience.com+Science+Headline+Feed%29&utm_content=My+Yahoo

Also, my ATS account turned 6 years old yesterday!!! I'm a PROUD member!
edit on 12/24/2010 by Schmidt1989 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 24 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
...interesting... wonder why it hasnt migrated somewhere where food is more accessible...

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
I assume the emaciated appearance is due to lack of food in the area. It makes me wonder why they look emaciated as opposed to pygmy-sized.
While it's possible, I don't assume that. Perhaps the animal is just naturally skinny, possibly to give it a speed advantage by not having to carry extra weight around, so it can sprint faster?

I've seen animals emaciated from lack of food before and this cheetah doesn't really have that appearance, it just looks skinny.

It's sad that it's so close to extinction this may be one of the few photos we ever see of it.

posted on Dec, 25 2010 @ 03:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Schmidt1989
It's sad that it's so close to extinction this may be one of the few photos we ever see of it.

Are you for real? Extinction?
Someone needs to brush up on their knowledge of the cheetah

BTW -

These kids eat nothing but fast food: SIX hungry cheetah cubs learn to hunt with mum

www.dailymail.co.uk...

Now that's the cats I like from back home.... and my favourite big cat is the Leopard!
That sly nocturnal deadly killer - don't want to meet him in a dark alley

Are you speaking specifically of the Cheetah in the Sahara? Then yes, you are right - my apologies

The Saharan cheetah lives in Algeria, Togo, Niger, Mali, Benin, and Burkina Faso. There remain less than 250 mature cheetahs which are very cautious, fleeing any human presence. The cheetah avoids the sun from April to October. It then seeks the shelter of shrubs such as balanites and acacias. They are unusually pale

edit on 25-12-2010 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

Mpfff, seems this is one sly cat

blogs.nationalgeographic.com...

and this photo was taken in Algeria
... Son of a .... cheetah
These animals don't even look like they can run for own lives, let alone kill anything! How the freak do they survive??
edit on 25-12-2010 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join