It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon to test mileage tax as replacement for gas tax

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
infowars.com...

its a good thing i dont drive...

this is gunna suck for you guys...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 03:50 PM
link   
This will once again motivate folks to drive larger, fuel-inefficient vehicles. My Envoy is luck to get 15 MPG, which means I'd pay less. Works for me -- but I think it sends the wrong message in the wrong way.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I don't know how they would enforce it, but I think it's a great idea.

People drive just to drive, with no destination.
I drive very little, and try to get all my errands in one or two trips.
A usage tax, like for truckers should be based on mileage and weight.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   

The task force's timetable calls for the first 20 cars to be equipped with mileage recorders next February. The experiment should be in full swing by fall 2005. Later, the technology would be used to test "congestion pricing" charging some drivers a higher mileage fee during rush hour, or in particularly congested areas, to see if they drive less as a result.

The test should be finished in early 2007. Then what?

If the experiment works, Whitty says, the task force probably would draft a bill proposing a statewide mileage tax. Starr, the legislator who chairs the panel, doubts it would pass right away.

So we've got three years at least before this has a chance of becoming law.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 04:55 PM
link   
I could amost be behind this as a semi-good thing, except that there are times where you just simply need to get in the car and get away from whatever nasty situation your around before you do something incredibly stupid. It woudl be wiser I think to focus on ways to lessen the environmental impact of driving rather than just cut down on it. In the long run the pollution is still going out there with the same old vehicles, even if they are being used less, where as if you cut down on the polution itself it would be more benefical I would think.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 05:35 PM
link   
This kind of stuff is just dumb. Plain dumb. Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax. Is there an end to things they will not tax? Let them pass the tax. The only driving they will see are poeple driving out of their state to live somewhere else.

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 07:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerotime

This kind of stuff is just dumb. Plain dumb. Tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax tax. Is there an end to things they will not tax? Let them pass the tax. The only driving they will see are poeple driving out of their state to live somewhere else.

i so agree with you..sheesh enough is enough already...

posted on Jul, 6 2004 @ 08:06 PM
link   
Its elitest in a way because the only people that can get decent housing close to work are the ones making the most money while those making less have further to drive in general to find affordable housing, I am guessing this is especially true on the west coast. Bad idea, bad law if it comes into effect.

new topics

top topics

join