It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK Gun Prohibition. What would be in your weapons cache?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by centurion1211

Originally posted by Silverado292
Can you still own Bows and arrows or crossbows? If you can that and Camouflage should get you some nice toys should the poo smack into the fan.

Don't think so. a year or so ago, there were threads on ATS about how the UK government was considering regulating spoons as dangerous weapons. Quite sure that would mean no bows and arrows for you!

New question for the thread. How many years before the UK government attempts to ban sticks and rocks?

That would take all you law abiding Brits back to pre-stone age in terms of being able to defend yourselves. Except for all the criminals that is ...

edit on 12/27/2010 by centurion1211 because: (no reason given)

thanks for the laugh
Am sure we'll do fine
if push ever came to shove am sure we'd find some interesting new weapons to play with

posted on Jan, 1 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by paraphi

It was only a matter of time before someone said that Switzerland bucks the trend and is an example of a nation where firearms are rife and murder rates are low. In fact, on a per capita basis Switzerland suffers a higher rate of gun related murder than the UK. Various credible sources are commonly referred to, but Wikipedia gun violence encapsulates the statistics, although (as with all statistics) there is conflict – including between different pages of Wikipedia.

Regards

In what way is being killed by a bullet more tragic than being stabbed to death by someone wielding a knife? The majority of those people murdered would not have been saved by legislation against firearm ownership. In fact, the legislators would have the blood of the many Swiss defensive firearm users on the hands who you would have disarmed.

The UK has generally always had a low homicide as well as 'gun homicide' rate, despite not even having a certificate system for smoothbore weapons until 1967, which even then was simply a mater of filling a form. Knee-jerk reactions like the center-fire rifle and pistol bans did absolutely nothing lower the use of firearms in crimes and homicides, which were actually seen in greater numbers after said Acts.
edit on 1-1-2011 by TheDarkTurnip because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101

Nothing beats the stopping power of a gun, of course, but with the right techniques and stealth, one can beat even thousands armed men, the more the merrier. For example:-

1. Single armed man.

Give him what he wants slowly, while faking distress, move in close, elbow his throat or solar plexus. It will stun him and it is those precious seconds that you will need to disarm him or get away. Scientifically, a human needs 3 seconds to aim, anything less than that and that bullet will miss. 3 seconds is all you need to save your life.

edit on 24-12-2010 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

Er, uh-huh..

I have personally gone shooting with guys who tap out 4 shots on target at 10 yards in that same stretch of time.

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by paraphi

I'm afraid that just isn't true.

Have a look at Switzerland

In some 2001 statistics, it is noted that there are about 420,000 assault rifles stored at private homes, mostly SIG SG 550 types. Additionally, there are some 320,000 assault rifles and military pistols exempted from military service in private possession, all selective-fire weapons having been converted to semi-automatic operation only. In addition, there are several hundred thousand other semi-automatic small arms classified as carbines. The total number of firearms in private homes is estimated minimally at 1.2 million to 3 million.[8]

link

Yet it comes 12 places below the united kingdom in the rate of murders.
link

Dave, Dave, Dave.. Tsk Tsk!

You have ever so inconsiderately introduced those messy things known as facts into the discussion and disrupted our good gun-ban advocate's entire line of reasoning.

Shame on you.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 05:11 AM
link   
Having a weapon is one thing, if you can't use it properly for what it was built for against competent attackers then you are better off without it. Make sure as best you can that you are able to do that.

Originally posted by SeekerofTruth101
Nothing beats the stopping power of a gun, of course, but with the right techniques and stealth, one can beat even thousands armed men, the more the merrier. For example:-

1. Single armed man.

Give him what he wants slowly, while faking distress, move in close, elbow his throat or solar plexus. It will stun him and it is those precious seconds that you will need to disarm him or get away. Scientifically, a human needs 3 seconds to aim, anything less than that and that bullet will miss. 3 seconds is all you need to save your life.

2.Armed Team.

Distract them and make your getaway into enclosed places. Within enclosed places, they will be limited to one person at a time to attack you, lowering the odds in your favour. Delay them as long as possible, take over their uniforms and mingle with them, and within that confusion you make your getaway.

3. Suicide Bomber

No amount of bullets fired upon him is gonna stop him from pressing the switch. It's the fallout from the bomb that you need to stop.

Never run away from a suicide bomber. Rather, close up the distance quickly and pin him to the ground. Your body and his will absorb the fallout or sharpnels from flying out in mult-directions harming others. A typical suicide bomber carries no powerful nuke.

It will be a damping effect and at worse, the damage done is a hole in the ground and glass panels fall from the blast waves... and your life. We humans will have to die one day anyway, sooner or later. We came into this world with nothing and will leave with nothing. But your selfless act will be remembered, and others whom care will in turn return that favour to those you cared about and whom loved you.

These are only some of the more well knowned techniques that one can learn from the army, literature or the media freely.

I hope that was a joke!

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   
reply to post by tilpah

No problem. The 430# crossbow is the answer. It can stop an elephant based on it's own natural design. It can be built from scrap under 120.00 US.

Not accurate? You can place a 4in shot group at 70 yards with a scope mount. (Remember the old .45 APC Auto with the effective range of 50ft?). Impact is terrific and 13in bolts are seldom retrieved intact. Nice thing is all this and not a sound.

Spence

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by ayoss
Converting a air rifle to fire "real" ammo sounds really dangerous. When you're dealing with traditional ammo, you're dealing with extremely high amounts of energy. I'm not sure if I'd trust a air rifle of any type to deal with the 30,000+ psi forces that you'd encounter after converting it. Even if it fires a few times fine I imagine it can form hairline cracks that you can't see and it may eventually end up blowing up in your face.

I'm a big fan of the AR15 platform so if I were to go with something legal in the UK, it would be the TAC 15, a "tactical assault crossbow"...

Yes you can. The barrel is identical I think. Provided the spiral is not compressed to a tighter spin than a .22 which may cause the round to simply explode rather than work it's way out.

Spence

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 10:25 PM
link   

O A typical suicide bomber carries no powerful nuke.

Good point.

....Well at least for now while the stockpiles of Cesium 137 hasn't yet made it's way from the ancient soviet satelite states to the hands of these people, which geographically is a pretty short distance.

Then after we find out we can't use the subway or 10 city blocks for another 1000 years, and all our grandkids have leukemia or are sterile, we will then rethink somewhat late why we loved to find excuses to fight wars in other peoples back yards.

Spence

posted on Jan, 6 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
Ok, You have to realise that there might not be much "Gun crime" without any guns, but that there is some because criminals don't worry about gun bans. BUT murder is murder whether it is by gun or lead pipe someone got killed!

and most crime in the UK is higher per head of capita than armed countries.

Check this site out www.gunfacts.info...

This makes a compelling argument that makes me want the right to bear arms!

Meantime I'm thinking that I'm going to stockpile available weapons like a crossbow, longbow, and some shotgun ammo, just in case things go bad.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
a visit to any hardware store would probably kit you out with all you need in non projectile weapons if the SHTF in the UK,

hand axes, chainsaws, saw blades, nails, lawn mower blades, ect ect all readily avalible.

would be easy to fasion ye ol board with nails and a sling of some kind to launch heavy/sharp items at a attacker. as far as i know owning replica swords is perficatly legal for display purposes ie you can have them aslong as they arnt sharpened, and you dont wave them around in public (although a trip to any Anime convention in the uk you will see this in spades)

Bows & Arrows/Crossbows are again somewhat obtainable. and fireworks are avalible legaly at cirten times of year so gun powder wouldnt be a problem.

if you have a basic knowledge of chemistry you could fasion useful liquids.

obv this wouldnt do much cop against a guy with a gun but it would surfice untill you could locate somekind of firearm.

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   
reply to post by centurion1211

after reading this had to do a search lol

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Ban Pointed Knifes

posted on Jan, 31 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
I've sat and thought about this quite a lot tonight. As most of you are aware I am against guns, and I have never quite knew why, nothing to do with the cumbrian gunman, as my feelings are from before that.

Give an Englishman a gun, and a lot of people are going to die.

Give me a gun, and despite how much I am against them, a lot of [nasty] people will die.

That could be because we have lived in gun isolation so long, or it could be because of wo we are.

When we fight, we fight, and fighting with guns isn't fighting. It is the easy way out.

Now I always believed that the reason I was so opposed to guns was becsause I don't believe anyone should die / be killed / murdered, and that is still the main reason behind my opinions. But given the drive, the passion, the heart of your typical Brit, could we be trusted to be armed? I don't think so.....so ends my drunken ramblings...............
edit on 31/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk

Ok but if everyone has a gun and you go on a rampage with yours then you are going to die because people who can own a gun without using it for anything but hunting and defence will stop you.

As it is the Cumbrian Bird was able to drive around with cops following at a safe distance and kill whoever he wanted, unstopped.

He could have got guns from criminal contacts if he had wanted, banning guns just means law abiding people don't have them, but criminals don't care about laws.
edit on 3-2-2011 by tilpah because: (no reason given)

posted on Feb, 3 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
Well....make guns legal and I see ALOT of people dead in this country within the first few days. Maybe it's because we have so much scum living here, or maybe it's because we have been without guns for so long people simply wouldn't use them responsibly.

But I can guarentee the chavs and their like around where I live (Not a bad area) would happily pull a gun in the pettiest of arguments if they could legally carry it aorund anyway.

And in a SHTF situation...you don't need guns in this country. Everything is so compact, unless you wish to wander into the street which would be certain death, close quarters melee weapons are going to be your best bet anyway.

posted on Feb, 4 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
Disagree, sniper tactics to take out a threat at a distance would be safer than risking hand to hand combat and giving away your position. Even close in a gun is going to be preferable, you can command a situation easier with a gun. People attack as pack animals close in, but nobody wants to make the first move when there's a gun.

posted on Feb, 9 2011 @ 07:29 AM
link   
reply to post by tilpah

I know what you mean, I always have loved guns and living in the UK felt gutted we can't own them. Despite this I was against the right to bare arms until recently. Here in the UK criminals prey on the vulnerable and would not bother with armed victims.

I love the longbow as an idea for a weapon, but to use a full size one they take literally years and years of practice and in war they are made to fire into a large group, where as a crossbow you can aim straight at the target.

During a collapse of society (which I dont believe will happen btw) I believe it would be essential to steal firearms from authorities or armouries that are not well protected. For example my school had an armoury for the army cadets which contained many single action SA80 styled rifles and fully automatic SA80 LSW's. It was in the basement and a heavy steel door, but just a normal double brick wall surrounding it. Someone was kicked out even for breaking into it so I would head right there and seize as many as possible as I dont think it would be high on authorities to do list. I dont think you can fight the army and police without at least some firearms, to aquite them you would have to employ deception and catch them ofguard or use firebombs/explosives which may damage the weapons you want.

I think in that situation it would be useful to become a member of the army of police in order to spread disinformation or to desert after stealing as much as possible. Or to just stay there pretending to be loyal while telling the public as much as possible that you know. If the authorities know your on the other side then they know what you might have told them, thus they can assume that whatever info it is its no longer secret. So you have to make them think that noone knows what they know, if you get what I mean? lol sorry if that was worded poorly!

Anyway im thinking too much about something I dont think will happen....I definately would go for a gun if it seemed close to happening. It might be you need to acquire one illegally. It is easier than you think to illegally buy a firearm in the UK, the hard part would be not getting ripped of so make it look like you want to buy one or a couple and if they work well tell them you will buy a LOT more so they will at least give you a couple working weapons as your promising them a much larger pay day afterwards.

Replicas may be a good idea as long as they are convincing. It would be just as important to make yourself look convinving ie - if you dressed like a terrorist and pulled a replica on a policeman to demand his weapon they would beleive that the weapons much more likely to be real than if say someone in a shirt n tie were to. Starting pistols would be great for use on anyone who isnt familiar with weapons as a shot in the air to them could easily be passed of as a real shot.

posted on Feb, 18 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
^^^^^good post!

If you cached an illegal gun an ammo now nowhere anyone would ever find it and left it just in case wrol situation developed, what harm would that do?

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by davespanners
reply to post by Silverado292

It's not that hard to get a shotgun license at all, you just have to prove that you use it to go clay pigeon shooting or such.

You can get crossbows yes.
edit on 24-12-2010 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

You don't have to prove it at all with a shotgun certificate application!
I should know I jumped through the hoops to get one

You just tell the copper you want it for collection and if you say clay pigeons tell him where you'll probably shoot it etc.

If it's a Firearms Certificate weapon then you have to jump through more hoops showing use and membership of clubs etc.

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by StevenDye
Well....make guns legal and I see ALOT of people dead in this country within the first few days. Maybe it's because we have so much scum living here, or maybe it's because we have been without guns for so long people simply wouldn't use them responsibly.

But I can guarentee the chavs and their like around where I live (Not a bad area) would happily pull a gun in the pettiest of arguments if they could legally carry it aorund anyway.

And in a SHTF situation...you don't need guns in this country. Everything is so compact, unless you wish to wander into the street which would be certain death, close quarters melee weapons are going to be your best bet anyway.

There are certain country's in the Europe that have very good systems, much better than the UKs archiac gun control one.
The Czech Republic has the best and fairest system.
If you want a gun for self-defence then you are allowed one BUT you have to be worthy of it. Unlike the UK where there's all this bs about only the rich having section 5 weapons. In CR you pass exams, crazy-test and pass a shooting proficiency course. Then you get to CCW

Anyway, getting back to the OT.
I'd have a Saiga 12 shotgun and an FN Battle Rifle (converted).

posted on Feb, 22 2011 @ 04:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by woogleuk
I've sat and thought about this quite a lot tonight. As most of you are aware I am against guns, and I have never quite knew why, nothing to do with the cumbrian gunman, as my feelings are from before that.

Give an Englishman a gun, and a lot of people are going to die.

Give me a gun, and despite how much I am against them, a lot of [nasty] people will die.

That could be because we have lived in gun isolation so long, or it could be because of wo we are.

When we fight, we fight, and fighting with guns isn't fighting. It is the easy way out.

Now I always believed that the reason I was so opposed to guns was becsause I don't believe anyone should die / be killed / murdered, and that is still the main reason behind my opinions. But given the drive, the passion, the heart of your typical Brit, could we be trusted to be armed? I don't think so.....so ends my drunken ramblings...............
edit on 31/1/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

And that my friend, is why the ptb have a nation of sheep who actually think like slaves and not free men.
Free citizens have no doubts or scared minds when it comes to handling inanimate objects that can both liberate and defend.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join